I Need Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Computer Help

A program I ussually use is giving me an error saying it has to close everytime it opens. I've been using this program for months now and this is the first time I experienced this problem so I guess it's something wrong with my computer. I'm using Windows XP and when I ran the program in Windows Compatibility Mode the program worked, but how can I get it to start working normally again without using Windows Compatibility Mode?

I'm not the only person that uses this computer so the other people might have screwed it up, but they woulden't know how they screwed it up if they did so hopefully someone will be able to help me.

reinstall windows
    takes me 15 minutes when things get buggered up

Comment

Don't re-install... and that is the worst advice possible to give anyone when you are starting to troubleshoot *

You should start by trying a "System Restore"
      Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
      or
      Start > Program Files > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Select a date that you KNOW the program was working fine at, and see if this fixes the problem.

*makes a note to tell zonex to whipe his database and start fresh on a mysql error 145 notice

Comment

windows is far more complex and not visible source
        my original advice stands
        and turn off system restore!

Comment

Where is your expirence? I've goten my windows installer down to about 20 min using a DVD and a custom build of windows via tools like nLite, but that doesn't include backups, or reinstalling settings or programs. System Restore is by far Windows most powerful tool when it comes to fixing problems. NEVER TURN IT OFF!. I've saved so many systems with it, and everytime someone tells me they've turned it off, it only causes more problems.

Comment

Umm.. no, a re-install of windows is not the solution to a problem. Most problems I've had, I was able to fix without a reinstall or reformat. I see no reason to do so now, especially since the program works under Compatibility mode.

System Restore should fix it. If not, download an anti-spyware and an anti-virus program and run both (let me suggest Ad-Aware and AVG, respectively).

If that doesn't fix it, check your startup for anything in there that might be causing issues (Start, Run, type in msconfig, click on Startup). AVG and Ad-Aware should get rid of most of them but they might miss something.

If THAT doesn't work, then it'd be probably be wise to just uninstall and reinstall the affected program. That should more than likely fix it.

If not, post here and I'll see what else I can do. And dont do a reinstall of Windows, that should be your absolute last choice to solve a problem.

EDIT: Agree with Zachary, System Restore has saved my ass plenty of times.

MGM out

Comment

mines a hand made custom cd that installs all my preferences, hotfixes etc
              been working/fixing windows for 13 years or so
              system restore and all the other noob crap on xp isnt neccesary
              just store your valuable data on a secondary partition

Comment

I don't think System Restore is "n00b crap." Just because you are good with computers doesn't mean everyone is. System Restore is great for the average end user who knows just enough computer knowledge to get by.
                Forums

Comment

Here is your best bet for answers to your questions.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx

Comment

Just because we do, doesn't mean everyone doesn't as long as I've been working with xp heavily (since launch) the most viable tool aside from nLite and a few rare network tools has been the system restore, IT WORKS and it FIXES THINGS PEOPLE MESS UP!

Just beause you know everything about windows, don't assume everyone else does.

Comment

I dont care how long he's been working with Windows, a complete re-install is not the answer and should never be the answer except as a last option.

MGM out

Comment

I know quite a lot about Windows, and I consider myself an advanced computer user and troubleshooter/repair person (includes experience in tech support for Dell and MSN) - and I keep System Restore TURNED ON. One of the worst pieces of advice to give is to turn it off. And reinstalling is a last resort action. I can't believe you said those things, zonex. What possible reason could you have for saying them?
                        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

bloat

Comment

Bloat?? What, because Windows keeps all your data stored in a corner, and over time all that data builds up?

You do know you can control how much of that "bloat" Windows holds onto, right? Granted, the average user might not know that, but even so, the default storage capacity of restoration "bloat" is not so big that it affects performance enough to hurt.
                            Last edited by cbiweb; Thu 22nd Sep '05, 3:39am.
                            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X