No announcement yet.

Nintendo Revolution Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get me wrong Wayne, I have a wireless mouse and I love it to death, and god forbid my tv remote had a cord or worse yet I'd have to get up to change the channel.

I just know I can lose things by nature, hell I can have something in my hand and be looking for it (I do this often with lighters) . I'm not slow, I just lose things, and my lazy-boy could eat a keyboard. The best part, no more wires infront of the tv when the console is sitting ontop of said tv!

Anyway, I won't pass my full judgement on it til I try it. I still don't know which console I am going to pick up first, I'm going to hold off on the xbox360 and wait until all three are on the market and have a good software line, plus by then I can pick up some good early titles for half price.

Comment

I still think its the worst design to grace consoles since I first saw the PS3 controller... and at least sony is listening and changing it. Let's hope Nintendo follows suit and releases something more traditional.

Sure, the controller may work better for TV's and watching movies, but since when was watching movies the main draw for a console? Especially since its Nintendo which, this current generation, didn't even have DVD playback. Xbox 360 following suit? Maybe with a remote control that we can use to watch movies but not as a controller, I dont see Microsoft doing anything like that.

I do like the fact that the controller is expandable. The ability to add completely new features depending on the game is appealing, but how many games will actually utilize it? Maybe only for first party titles or from big companies like EA...

EDIT: Brad, IMO, I think the wireless controllers are the main draw for all of the consoles (hardware-wise) this next generation.... I mean, wires have been pissing me off since forever, now that everything is going wireless, I'm going to be a lot happier when playing my games.

MGM out

Comment

I love the controller. It can be turned sideways and held like a NES controller. Also the "nunchuk" set-up is very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
          I still think its the worst design to grace consoles since I first saw the PS3 controller... and at least sony is listening and changing it. Let's hope Nintendo follows suit and releases something more traditional.

Sure, the controller may work better for TV's and watching movies, but since when was watching movies the main draw for a console? Especially since its Nintendo which, this current generation, didn't even have DVD playback. Xbox 360 following suit? Maybe with a remote control that we can use to watch movies but not as a controller, I dont see Microsoft doing anything like that.

MGM out
          I think it's quite naive and prejudgmental to assess this thing on its looks. A controller is all about function, and judging by the reviews, it functions very well
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
            I think it's quite naive and prejudgmental to assess this thing on its looks. A controller is all about function, and judging by the reviews, it functions very well
            Like I said above, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, so I may be biased Besides, I dont think I mentioned function, I was basically working off looks, as I obviously have not actually used the controller yet.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
              Xbox 360 following suit? Maybe with a remote control that we can use to watch movies but not as a controller, I dont see Microsoft doing anything like that.
              There will be probably be Nintendo Style Controllers for the XBOX 360 but I doubt they will come from Microsoft. Who uses the standard controllers these days anyway? Companies like Logitech and Madcatz make controllers for all the consoles with additional features, better layouts and more. That is what I was hinting at.

Don't like the controller, don't use it. There will be traditional style controllers that work on that Revolution, that much you can be sure of. There will be stick controllers for the other consoles as well as some people will like them and ask for them on other consoles.

As far as movies, the XBOX360 and the Playstation 3 are being marketed as multimedia entertainment systems, not primarily game consoles. The movie and music features are prominent in all their literature. Nintendo is starting to follow the same route. Many households also cannot afford both a game console and a DVD player so combining the two is logical. With the added capabilities of the XBOX360, I am probably going to eliminate the standalone DVD player in my cabinet.

I do like the fact that the controller is expandable. The ability to add completely new features depending on the game is appealing, but how many games will actually utilize it? Maybe only for first party titles or from big companies like EA...
              Nintendo has always been the king of non-standard controller addons. From Dance Dance Revolution's dancepad to Donkey Kong's Bongos. Most are only suited for one game but the game really isn't playable without them. Remember Nintendo is first and foremost a game company, not a hardware company. This is a completely different tactic than either competitor follows.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I do agree that Nintendo is king of non-standard controller addons, that doesn't mean jack when it comes to consoles and third parties. How many games actually fully utilized the features of the DS? Mostly first party titles, but not many others. I see the same happening with the Revolution. You'll see the latest Mario and Zelda come with cool controller additions, but games by third-parties like Splinter Cell or Burnout wont utilize any of the features (and will probably just stick with the default controller and the analog addon, which comes standard with the console).

After seeing this video, I'm actually a bit more interested now. Seeing the controller in "action" kinda made me change my tune... http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

EDIT: hahaha, I had a good laugh with this: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mikestrife/30815.html

EDIT 2: Looks like Nintendo has already figured out how to solve my above problem:

"Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick (Nintendo's head of European marketing): We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded."

MGM out
                Last edited by MGM; Fri 16 Sep '05, 11:05am.

Comment

I think a controller with edges and a back that alters to fit the contours of your hands would've been a better move.. it wouldnt be that expensive, either.

Could get easily damaged though.

I wonder which crazy guy came up with that design anywho.

"I know, lets break it apart!"

Comment

I think that controller looks very... revolutionary. It's a very unique and original design (at least for game consoles.) I think Nintendo has a winner on it's hands.

I noticed that the system and controller are both white though, where at E3 the system was in black. I hope several color choices are available at launch.
                    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                      I noticed that the system and controller are both white though, where at E3 the system was in black. I hope several color choices are available at launch.
                      Pictures of the system show it in White, Black and Silver. Pictures of the controllers show them in White, Black, Silver, Red and Green. I think I saw a yellow one in a video as well. Colors are good because I can get each of my kids their own color so their is no bickering over which controller belongs to which kid.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                        I think that controller looks very... revolutionary. It's a very unique and original design (at least for game consoles.) I think Nintendo has a winner on it's hands.

Revolutionary? How? Since when did design make something revolutionary? We wanted revolutionary gameplay based on the controller, not a controller that looked like a remote... I think the revolutionary aspect is the breaking apart or the laser thing (name lost me), but even then it isn't all that new, as computers have been doing these things for years with keyboards and touch screens/laser pointers...

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
                          Revolutionary? How? Since when did design make something revolutionary? We wanted revolutionary gameplay based on the controller, not a controller that looked like a remote... I think the revolutionary aspect is the breaking apart or the laser thing (name lost me), but even then it isn't all that new, as computers have been doing these things for years with keyboards and touch screens/laser pointers...

MGM out
                          The gaming industry (hardware based) has fallen into creative oblivion, I do not see any innovation in the systems except with the Revolution, and on the creative scale, compared to the 360 and PS3 is revolutionary.

So what how it looks, I'm sick of traditional, video game systems have been around since the '80's and I have yet to see much difference from back then, other than graphics and a couple other minor things.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM

MGM out
                            The fact that it is motion sensitive and the movement of the controller is what controls movement of objects in a game is pretty dang revolutionary well beyond the design.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              The fact that it is motion sensitive and the movement of the controller is what controls movement of objects in a game is pretty dang revolutionary well beyond the design.
                              Then I guess you didn't see Sony's conference for E3 where they used the EyeToy to do the same exact thing...

MGM out

Comment

I know about the Eyetoy but it is not a general purpose game controller nor is it required for any game that I know of. It also uses a camera to detect motion you don't move it directly. So far three games take advantage of it so I am not sure it is a rousing success. None of those games allow you to simulate fishing, the swing of a golf club or the slash of a sword.

They might do similar things but the implementation is nowhere near close to the same. To have a controller that gives motion control to every game on a console goes beyond what the Eyetoy can do. If you picked up the Eyetoy and held it like a controller then it would be the same. As it is the Eyetoy is a niche device of no more use than the dancepad or Donkey Kong Bongos outside the specific games designed to work with it.

Back in the 80's Nintendo had a robot that was controlled with flashes from the television screen to "help" you in video games. That is more similar to the EyeToy than this.

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X