If you have a Linksys router...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have a Linksys router...

...is there a way to greatly increase the DHCP lease time given to clients? The IP addresses on my network seem to change every few days which is getting annoying for port forwarding purposes. In fact, I just checked and the default DHCP lease time seems to only be one day.

(don't want to use static IPs)
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Ive got a AG041.

Client Lease Time: minutes (Range 1~10080)

If you have the latest firmware and there's no options to do so then I guess not.

1 Day is alot, I actually use 2 hours.

Your only option is to use static IP's. Sadly Linksys don't have features to reserve an IP by Mac address's.

Comment

I just looked through my router control panel and don't see anything. I use Static IPs on my network and don't allow DHCP requests at this time. Will probably have to allow DHCP when I get my XBOX360.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

It can't do static?

Comment

I used to have a Linksys router. I remember having DHCP enabled but still specifying static IPs. Just set your DHCP range high, and then use low statics.

Comment

www.sveasoft.com will void the warrant, but damnit it is great.

Comment

I just gave up on it because apparently the longest lease is one week. I switched to static IPs which is an inconvenience but at least I can know the IPs won't change randomly on me.

The one (only) good thing about my old D-Link router is that IPs effectively never changed with DHCP.

Comment

Why not use a combination... You can use static IPs where you absolutely need forwarding and DHCP on other devices.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Why not use a combination... You can use static IPs where you absolutely need forwarding and DHCP on other devices.
                  Is that legal? I thought if you have DHCP, it is a bad idea to force an IP address on some clients. I'm guessing that the DHCP server might accidently provide a lease for an IP that is alreay statically defined by some other client.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                    Is that legal? I thought if you have DHCP, it is a bad idea to force an IP address on some clients. I'm guessing that the DHCP server might accidently provide a lease for an IP that is alreay statically defined by some other client.
                    For example, use .2 through .50 for statics, and set your DHCP range to .51 through .100

edit - and assuming you are using NAT for an internal network, the only IP conflicts would be on the internal network.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                      Yeah it is legal... You can assign the range for your DHCP leases and use static IPs outside of that. You get 254 devices on the network. Hard to run out in the home environment.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Starsurfer
                        www.sveasoft.com will void the warrant, but damnit it is great.
                        I haven't used this specifically (I'm using HyperWRT), but I believe the Sveasoft version will give you static DHCP IPs based on MAC addresses.

(Though it only works with certain Linksys routers anyway.)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X