How stable is RC3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How stable is RC3?

Currently, I'm in the process of converting my IPB to vB 3.0.9. At the same time, though, 3.5 RC3 is available. Am I better off just using that? How stable is a release candidate? It may prove more of a hassle to upgrade 3.0.9 than 3.5.0 RC3 to the final 3.5 product...
    Forums

stable as hell now
    most bugs have been quashed and theres tons of hacks for 3.5 now so dont see the point in using 3.0 series

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
      Currently, I'm in the process of converting my IPB to vB 3.0.9. At the same time, though, 3.5 RC3 is available. Am I better off just using that? How stable is a release candidate? It may prove more of a hassle to upgrade 3.0.9 than 3.5.0 RC3 to the final 3.5 product...
      I'm using VB 3.5 RC3 for my live production board. Actually I have been using VB 3.5 since Beta 1. LOL. Craziness. But anywho, it works like a charm. For me at least, I haven't had really any noticeable problems on the normal user side, unless plug-ins seem to be involved. You should be fine if you go to RC3. I suspect RC4 or Gold is next.

Although I will say this much, I've seen my board slow down considerably with some plug-ins, and the only way to make it run smooth again was to TOTALLY turn off the plug-in option. And this was only after having a few installed. While one could say its the plug-ins fault...lately I have been questioning that. IMO, the plug-in system needs an overhaul. There needs to be a way to contain the plug-ins. Both the plug-ins CP's that get installed with some plug-ins, and the ability to contain plug-ins in general. As I have stated in previous posts, I HATE when a plug-ins CP is put to the top of the VB admin CP area by default, pushing down the default VB options.

Sure, blame the coders....or at least help have a way of containing the plug-ins. And earlier tonight a plug in from VB.org (with no hacking of any kind) which was made for RC3, which was added through the Product Manager, ended up not being able to be uninstalled and gave SQL errors. It was supposed to be added through the Product Manager as stated in its instructions, which it was. Which in turn when trying to uninstall, messed up my database. Luckily I saved it. Keep in mind, none of what I have stated involved anything more than maybe a slight template hack at best. Fact is, while it wasn't VB's fault, certain criteria should be met when installing a plug in through the Product Manager, before an item can be added, to hopefully help minimize any potential exploits or hazards to the board or sql itself from the file during the install and uninstall process.

While you should be fine with the rest of the board, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST waiting on the plug-in system until VB is past RC. Cool idea...but so far poor in execution and so far few plug-ins work on it well, let alone after an upgrade. In fact some got abandoned during the beta stages of VB 3.5, and in several other cases support has been dropped, is slow, or just non-existant. In fact, today with the shoutbox I use, a VB.org mod at VB.org asked if it was even being supported since there has been no response, even though the latest version was brought out a few weeks ago, and numerous questions and problems have been cropping up. I have had just too many problems with the plug in system. Be it plug-ins slowing down the board, not uninstalling correctly, etc.. IPB 2.1's worked much better IMO. The only one I have running is the shoutbox. IMO the Plug-In system needs an overhaul or some serious work. Other than that you should be fine.
      Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Sun 11th Sep '05, 1:13am.

Comment

More stable than RC2 less stable than Gold

Comment

re: whitetigergrowels post
          i have at least 10 plugins installed and havent had any issues

Comment

I think im gonna wait for gold to come into force.
            Kind Regards
            Bill

Comment

Most bugs are minor things like Spelling Mistakes or things not showing quite right no dataloss bugs or functionality problems apart from the AOL Login problem which I'm having fun with.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Personally I'd stick ith 3.0.9. I may wait a few weeks after 3.5.0 Gold comes out before upgrading since there will be even more people running that version. 3.0.9 just came out and there was a minor problem with one file. It was correctly quickly but this is why I don't want to jump right in that quickly. I am still relatively new to vB and don't want to install anything until the devs say it's done. For now. Of course, YMMV. This is just my opinion. And besides, there is no official support for RC3. Is there?
                ...steven
                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

I don't even have AOL and I have problems with the login system.
                  Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

If you've got problems then post in the appropriate bug, we've been asking for volunteers to run some debug code.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I upgraded my CMPS, gallery software, and vB last night. It took me less than 10 minutes to upgrade from v3.07 to v3.5 RC3, and about 4 hours to fix minor things in my CMPS. LOL It's working great so far, I haven't tried a lot of the features yet.
                      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Upgraded no bother and mostly things are fine.

Site running Scott's debug code at the minute so hopefully have that sorted real soon - others with RC3 installed could always help!
                        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                        -
                        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                        - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                        - "Quick Route" Interface...
                        - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Trevster
                          Upgraded no bother and mostly things are fine.

Site running Scott's debug code at the minute so hopefully have that sorted real soon - others with RC3 installed could always help!
                          I already sent in my details to him today.
                          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I'm running RC3 on both my forums, have about 13 plugins, 1 product (shoutbox) No Problems at all.
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X