This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    The only consistency when it comes to gasoline prices is that they never go down. Unless federal, state and local governments drop their taxes on gasoline, we won't see a decrease. That, however, is unlikely as then they won't have enough money to waste on things like $230 million bridges in Alaska that link the main land to islands with populations of 50 people.
    As well as everything else, gas is on a consistant rise, but that is partly due to inflation. I was talking about the late summer price increase we see every year. Last July and August I was hearing the same rants about how high gas prices are. Come October and November, prices start dropping again and everyone returns to normal. True, when I was 15 the gas prices were $1.50 a gallon, but $6 and hour was also a normal wage.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
      True, when I was 15 the gas prices were $1.50 a gallon, but $6 and hour was also a normal wage.
      When I was born, gas prices were less than 50 cents a gallon. When I was 15, they were 80 cents per gallon. When I started driving, they were still under a dollar. This is 20 years ago. Now they are $3.00 and up. Even with the cheaper winter fuel that goes on sell in October, I do not see prices falling much below $2.75/gallon here in the U.S.

You are right, there is an increase in price for summer gas. Lately it has been going up 50 cents every summer and rolling back 25 cents in the fall. This is not tied to the national inflation rate. Yes, that is how much gasoline has risen since 1985. Oil Companies in the United States are some of the most profitable with billions in quarterly earnings. This is not because of inflation, it is because of monopolistic and price-fixing tactics that are frowned upon in any other industry but since they also line the pockets of politicians (both democrat and republican), everyone looks the other way. Instead of promoting alternative energy sources which are viable (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydrogen fuel cells), we continue to rely on imports from other countries, all because the Oil Companies make billions of dollars in profit.

If 50% of our gas cost went to taxes that paid for better roads and other public services, then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. If the auto-makers would release engines in this country with better fuel economy instead of accepting kickbacks from Oil Companies, then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. If the government actually implemented sound public transportation systems then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. A lot of ifs in there.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81
        It pisses me off to see you americans complain about gaz prices. If i make the correct conversions we pay over USD $6.5/gallon

so will ya stop whining???
        Sigh I sick of hearing this, sick of it, and I can't takes no more!

Fact: Gas is always going up, and it never goes back down
        Fact: My car gets 15 mpg highway and 10 in the city
        Fact: I'm to poor to afford a new car atm, so I must drive the one I have

Gas is killing us, to the point that we barley have enough to pay off our health insurance at the end of the month. I really could care less how much you or anyone else pays, in short: "Your countries gas price doesn't mean jack to me!". Do you know why? Because I don't live there.

We aren't lucky, we have a right to be mad.

No one has mentioned minimum wage, when was the last time that wen't up any? I know guys working 2.5 - 3 days a week just to afford the gas to go back and forth to work. Tell me is that right?

I'm with Wayne, if the cost was justified I would'nt mind paying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo

Gas is killing us, to the point that we barley have enough to pay off our health insurance at the end of the month. I really could care less how much you or anyone else pays, in short: "Your countries gas price doesn't mean jack to me!". Do you know why? Because I don't live there.

No one has mentioned minimum wage, when was the last time that wen't up any? I know guys working 2.5 - 3 days a week just to afford the gas to go back and forth to work. Tell me is that right?

I agree with everything but minimum wage increse.

I am sick of people telling us to quit complaining.

You stop complaining about us complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
            I agree with everything but minimum wage increse.

I am sick of people telling us to quit complaining.

You stop complaining about us complaining.
            A bit off-topic but is there anywhere I can see your mustang? What model is it? I'm shopping for a new motor for my car, my old one as had it and at this point it would be cheaper to drop in an old stang motor than it would be to buy a new car (I drive a 90 Grand Marquis ).

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Yellowstone is the locations of a Super Volcano. The Yellowstone Valley (the entire valley) is simply a caldera for a large volcano. If it erupts, it can be considered a global killer and will cause extinctions world wide and practically wipe out the western United States and Canada, not just destruction of homes and death of people but literally kill millions of acres of forest and sink land under the ocean.

Seven of these super volcanoes have been identified, 3 are in the United States and Canada. The rest are in Asia and the South Pacific. Of these Yellowstone is the largest. Its lava and ash fields stretch from Louisana at the Gulf of Mexico to Los Angeles in California and up north in to Canada.

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

Don't know what is up in West Africa.
              He said Yosemite through. I knew about Yellowstone but I didn't know that it would be that catrostrophic. The White House better have plans for an evacuation of the entire western United States incase it prepares to explode.

When I was born, gas prices were less than 50 cents a gallon. When I was 15, they were 80 cents per gallon. When I started driving, they were still under a dollar. This is 20 years ago. Now they are $3.00 and up. Even with the cheaper winter fuel that goes on sell in October, I do not see prices falling much below $2.75/gallon here in the U.S.

You are right, there is an increase in price for summer gas. Lately it has been going up 50 cents every summer and rolling back 25 cents in the fall. This is not tied to the national inflation rate. Yes, that is how much gasoline has risen since 1985. Oil Companies in the United States are some of the most profitable with billions in quarterly earnings. This is not because of inflation, it is because of monopolistic and price-fixing tactics that are frowned upon in any other industry but since they also line the pockets of politicians (both democrat and republican), everyone looks the other way. Instead of promoting alternative energy sources which are viable (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydrogen fuel cells), we continue to rely on imports from other countries, all because the Oil Companies make billions of dollars in profit.

If 50% of our gas cost went to taxes that paid for better roads and other public services, then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. If the auto-makers would release engines in this country with better fuel economy instead of accepting kickbacks from Oil Companies, then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. If the government actually implemented sound public transportation systems then I wouldn't mind paying $6.00 a gallon. A lot of ifs in there.
              If the government would stop wasting money on things like earmarks and special interests, we wouldn't need gasoline taxes. Heck, they'd be able to eliminate gasoline taxes while dramatically lowering taxes across the board. The only problem is that they just won't stop wasting money.

Comment

I realize the entire price increase isn't from inflation, but in part, it still is.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Its only petrol

Comment

A bit off-topic but is there anywhere I can see your mustang? What model is it? I'm shopping for a new motor for my car, my old one as had it and at this point it would be cheaper to drop in an old stang motor than it would be to buy a new car (I drive a 90 Grand Marquis ).

Engine Rebuild Parts

Car pictures

Engine Tear Down

I am two weeks away from putting the new engine in.

I don't know much about Marquis but I assume it has a 5.0 V8 correct? If so 5.0's can be found dirt cheap.

Where exactly in the south are you? I am in Huntsville, Alabama and me and some friends would be willing to help you with the swap if you were close.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
                      Engine Rebuild Parts

Car pictures

Engine Tear Down

I am two weeks away from putting the new engine in.

I don't know much about Marquis but I assume it has a 5.0 V8 correct? If so 5.0's can be found dirt cheap.

Where exactly in the south are you? I am in Huntsville, Alabama and me and some friends would be willing to help you with the swap if you were close.
                      I'm up here in North Carolina on the Virgina line

The Marquis came with the 5.0 V8, and the swap is more or less a direct bolt on from what I've read. I seen a few people doing it on some ford forums so I know it's possible although it requires a new computer and other little things.

I don't know how well the new motor would play with my tranny though, I need to get it replaced to I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                        He said Yosemite through. I knew about Yellowstone but I didn't know that it would be that catrostrophic. The White House better have plans for an evacuation of the entire western United States incase it prepares to explode.
                        Well Yosemite is near Long Valley and that is classed as a Super Volcano as well, just not as immense as Yellowstone.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Heh...I work at home. I don't even own a car.
                          House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

Comment

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

Don't know what is up in West Africa.
                            The biggest surfing wave that North America will not ever want to see. The predict height of is tsunami is 300 ft above sea level or 30 stories and the speed well lets say 3hrs but closer to 2.5hrs. The island is splitting in two, while the east half might still be visable the west half of the island will slip under the ocean. You have to think the island like an iceberge small visiable top and an enormous bottom.

It is one of these area's not quite sure, as the link to future natural disaster seems to have lost its place in google's

Republic of Cape, Verde Canary Islands

My girlfriend was looking to by one of those smart cars but she is waiting until 2006 for some new model of 4 per car to come out.

I do not see how could anyone survival an accident with another car, unless the other car is another smart car.

Comment

Well said, I completely agree.

I saw a movie on (I believe) Sci-fi once called Super Volcano and it was about Yellowstone exploding. It was actually very informative but I dont think it was anywhere near as catastrophic as the page Wayne linked to seems to show.

MGM out

Comment

Increases in minimum wage only serve to increase the cost of living and make businesses less able to compete with foreign competition. We don't need to increase minimum wage. If anything, we need to eliminate minimum wage. Many of the jobs that pay minimum wage should be done by teenagers and teenagers don't need a great deal of money. They just need work experience (so when they're older they can get better jobs) and a few dollars for the things they like to buy (e.g. computers, DVDs, iPods). The only problem is that bread winners are taking these jobs and things (economic stimuli, like those of Ronald Reagan) need to be done to rectify this situation before we could eliminate minimum wage without pulling the rug out from under people.

As for gasoline, there is no justification for the gasoline taxes. If the government didn't waste money on bureaucracies, earmarks and special interests, government wouldn't need much of the money it takes from us and government could do much more to serve us. If wasteful government spending was eliminated and the government was made more efficient, the government could afford to eliminate taxes on gasoline and drive other taxes down significantly. Driving them down of course, would increase federal revenues as people will be starting businesses, people will get getting better paying jobs, more money will be moving around and the economy will boom like it did in the 1980s after Ronald Reagan's economic policies began to take effect. Oh well, if the government cuts taxes and the revenues go up, they could always cut them some more. Of course, no government in human history has ever willingly decreased its size, much less eliminated unnecessary portions of itself, so unless we get another Ronald Reagan in office, that isn't happening.

Originally posted by tgillespie
                                I realize the entire price increase isn't from inflation, but in part, it still is.
                                Speaking of inflation, does anyone know why the government puts additional money in circulation when it doesn't have the gold to back it? We probably have that to thank for the 1949 dollar buying 13 cents of its original value.

Originally posted by LEAD_WEIGHT
                                The biggest surfing wave that North America will not ever want to see. The predict height of is tsunami is 300 ft above sea level or 30 stories and the speed well lets say 3hrs but closer to 2.5hrs. The island is splitting in two, while the east half might still be visable the west half of the island will slip under the ocean. You have to think the island like an iceberge small visiable top and an enormous bottom.

It is one of these area's not quite sure, as the link to future natural disaster seems to have lost its place in google's

Republic of Cape, Verde Canary Islands

My girlfriend was looking to by one of those smart cars but she is waiting until 2006 for some new model of 4 per car to come out.

I do not see how could anyone survival an accident with another car, unless the other car is another smart car.
                                So that is what I heard about. Yeah, that would be nasty. It would go at least 15 miles inland.
                                Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Sat 3rd Sep '05, 12:33pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X