Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your preferred VOIP / Instant Messaging solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your preferred VOIP / Instant Messaging solution?

As this Sunday reaches, I am getting ready to move off to another city (within the province of Ontario) but out of the local calling areas. This is my first time not living in the same city as a lot of my family and clients.

I have been doing a lot of research on VOIP solutions. At this time I am trying to keep the cost of living down as much as possible, so I will have my cell-phone and will probably use one of the available Instant Message (IM) software with VOIP bundled in. At this time Yahoo seems like the best choice offering the cheapest Computer-to-Landline cost than any of their immediate competitors. Skype has its features as well that many others don’t.

While searching I came across a review from CNET, which I referred to benchmark some of the immediate IM/VOIP solutions together.

I would like some input, what is your preferred solution? Any experience? What are you using now? How is the quality? Ease of use? What hardware you need? And any general opinions and feedback you may have.

Never used VOIP... I have 4 phones, 3 phone lines and 2 cell phones in the house. Don't make long distance calls on a regular basis so there is no cost savings in VOIP.

For IM, I use MSN and XFIRE these days.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

IM = Aim w/ DeadAim

Comment

Too bad you didn't get Fido Canada while it was out. Unlimited calling anywhere in Fido's footprint+850LD minutes and unlimited Long Distance minutes. And no I ain't giving mine up ever!

Comment

I use msn and the voice chat feature is really cool !

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan
            As this Sunday reaches, I am getting ready to move off to another city (within the province of Ontario) but out of the local calling areas. This is my first time not living in the same city as a lot of my family and clients.

I have been doing a lot of research on VOIP solutions. At this time I am trying to keep the cost of living down as much as possible, so I will have my cell-phone and will probably use one of the available Instant Message (IM) software with VOIP bundled in. At this time Yahoo seems like the best choice offering the cheapest Computer-to-Landline cost than any of their immediate competitors. Skype has its features as well that many others donít.

While searching I came across a review from CNET, which I referred to benchmark some of the immediate IM/VOIP solutions together.

I would like some input, what is your preferred solution? Any experience? What are you using now? How is the quality? Ease of use? What hardware you need? And any general opinions and feedback you may have.

No VOIP here.. I use Skype.. most of my friends have it too so that I don't need to spend money on VOIP
            That's the end of that!

Comment

No VOIP here either, and I'm currently an AIM user. I have tried other IM's but I prefer AIM over them. I might give Google Talk a better chance once it gets out of Beta and has more robust features.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
                No VOIP here.. I use Skype.. most of my friends have it too so that I don't need to spend money on VOIP
                Umm... Skype is VOIP.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I use vonage and lingo. I have found vonage more reliable but I would use neither as my only phone.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk
                  DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Umm... Skype is VOIP.
                    Really? I must have muddled up something. I friend of mine had to order VOIP seperatly to her DSL connection
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

VoIP is just VoiceoverIP doesn't matter how it happens, be it it over a line without a computer, or with a program like Skype.

Comment

I use VOIP buster because it's free to call 24 different countries... soooooo
                        My site
                        www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81
                          I use VOIP buster because it's free to call 24 different countries... soooooo
                          I would guess that it costs money to call landlines though.

Comment

I setup my brother with Skype so he can call his fiance in London. It's 2.7 cents per minute which is very reasonable, if I am not mistaken. Her connection to the internet has almost every single port blocked which is why they have to use a Computer to Phone solution.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I setup my brother with Skype so he can call his fiance in London. It's 2.7 cents per minute which is very reasonable, if I am not mistaken. Her connection to the internet has almost every single port blocked which is why they have to use a Computer to Phone solution.
                              If they talk a lot, it might be cheaper for her to buy a vonage box (get brother to send it) in the same area code as your brother. They can then call each other for free for $15 / month. If they talk more than 18 minutes per day it would work out cheaper

Unless you mean VOIP is blocked for her in the UK? That seems very strange if she has ADSL or Cable, I havn't heard of a company that blocks the VOIP port.
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk
                              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X