Wiki suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiki suggestions

While this is seriously offtopic the vb community is easily one of the best. So I'd like to ask this here.

I need a piece of wiki software to run on a site of mine. I've tried mediawiki and find it way too confusing to use. My visitors will never use it if they have to learn to use it. I've also tried dukuwiki and it's far to underpowered.

So I'm looking for something simple that works kind of like a vb with an adminCP where where I can approve members and edit stylesheets and other info.

I need something that has a "new page" button. All these other I've tried have you creating new pages with the URL. A visitor will never go for that.

I'd also like something where pages can be discussed.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by roxics; Sun 28th Aug '05, 3:20pm.
    www.ScapeFilms.com

I'm not sure why you think media wikki is confusing, it works like all other wikki's, the whole Keyword thing is intregal.

Somke simpler wikki are docuwiki (looks great) and twiki which is really east to setup and has a firefox plugin for formatting
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Maybe I don't really understand what a wiki is then. Because I'm not looking for something that uses some type of special formatting or anything like that. I'm just looking for an easy way for the public to add/edit webpages on my site. And for it to be searchable and categorized.

But I know my visitors aren't going to take the time to learn a new system or way of doing things. So it needs to be plain as day to use. Mediawiki is not.

So as I said maybe my understanding of what a wiki is just isn't right. But I need what I described above.
      www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

I agree. I had difficulty getting mediawiki to run after installation. Couldn't understand it and would probably take me awhile to get started. I dumped the wiki project.

Comment

Originally posted by roxics
          Maybe I don't really understand what a wiki is then. Because I'm not looking for something that uses some type of special formatting or anything like that. I'm just looking for an easy way for the public to add/edit webpages on my site. And for it to be searchable and categorized.

But I know my visitors aren't going to take the time to learn a new system or way of doing things. So it needs to be plain as day to use. Mediawiki is not.

So as I said maybe my understanding of what a wiki is just isn't right. But I need what I described above.
          Seriously if they can't *work* _out_ SimpleFormatting rules then they probably shouldn't be using the internet.

I suggest you get a Wiki working or play in someone elses sandbox - it is addictive and a great way to creat community driven content

Comment

I think you are just missing the Wiki concept. It's a little language of its own. If what you want to do is allow members to upload ready pages, then a wiki is not your best option.

A wiki is a sort of "article" repository. I am putting "article" in quotes, because it doesn't have to be a conventional article, but rather an entry, any entry...
            HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Alright. Then a wiki isn't what I need.
              What I need is just a way for people to edit and create pages on a website.
              Not FTP, just create and edit from a page itself.
              Any software for that?
              www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

CMS

Comment

Any software for that?
                  that would still be a wiki....
                  try to google for "compare wiki" and u will find a list of comparisons tables, they show all the stuff u want to know.

My favorite is dokuwiki.. and it's hella easy to use... just a little tough to setup.
                  My site
                  www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Any software for that?
                    www.subdreamer.com... I think it will fulfill your needs nicely.

The problems that I see with wikis is that none of them appear to be able to lock content or have it moderated before it appears.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      www.subdreamer.com... I think it will fulfill your needs nicely.

The problems that I see with wikis is that none of them appear to be able to lock content or have it moderated before it appears.
                      That isn't a problem, that's the point.

Comment

Then how do sites prevent from getting defaced and their information wiped out. Just seems like you are asking for trouble with no control.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You can lock pages with Media wiki, at least as far as I've been able to tell.

And you can also lock it down by only letting register or approved members go at the content./

Comment

Wiki's are no different from forums in terms of defacing - you can lock pages and you can enable registration.

Comment

All we need is a Forum Permission in vB: "Can Edit Other's Posts" - You can then choose to moderate these posts or not...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X