Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on how to flip a forum over.. Free classifieds to CHARGING for classifieds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on how to flip a forum over.. Free classifieds to CHARGING for classifieds?

OK

I just figured out that there is a LOT of money changing hands in the "quiet" classifieds secion of my forum.

Meanwhile the site has grown to 11,000 registered & over 2 million page views per month..

We have an Amazon book store (makes almost nothing)
    Banner ads - doing quite well

But STILL its a LOT of effort for me and the co owner / web admin.

I am busy keeping the peace / stoping squabbles & selling ads
    The Admin is busy with upgrades / sever stuff

Its taking over!

I wanna grab some o that classifieds dough...!!!

I am looking at subscriptions for the classifieds section...

One day thread creation pass $5 ???
    3 month thread creation pass $10 ??
    One year thread creation pass $20 ??

Any ideas?

I did a poll.... no one can give a good reason for it to remain free except for 'I dont wanna pay' whines...

Out of 37,000 threads 7,000 are in this section..

I dont know if that is good or bad,

The core vibe of the site isnt the classifieds but it sure HAS gotten busy..

I want make some money but dont want to kill off the golden goose

I have dark circles under my eyes and carpel tunel in my fingers - just like a good forum runner should!

v few of the forum goers really undersand all the work that I put in... I am sure that is typical.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

I have been thinking about a way I could cash in on this section as well. I know many people will sign up, post an add, sell the item and never come back. Others constantly sell and those are the people that I want to cash in on. I was thinking of writing a hack that would keep track of of how many times a new thread was started in the classified section. After X times, the user could no longer post an add and would have to buy an add subscription to reset the thread counter. Im sure some people will cheat by signing up again, but those that want to establish a reputation, would probably buy an add subscription.

Comment

That's a cool twist!

My crowd might like that

A 10 posts for EVERY ONE for free.. then.. if you are a serious seller dude making coin - play fair.. cough up some dough...

Does that neeed to be a hack?

Thread creation permission "time out"... (say after 10)

Then onto subscription...?

One day thread creation pass $5 ???
      3 month thread creation pass $10 ??
      One year thread creation pass $20 ??

This is great!

Lets keep a dialog going!

Thanks

Jules

Comment

Optima for president!

Originally posted by 0ptima
        I have been thinking about a way I could cash in on this section as well. I know many people will sign up, post an add, sell the item and never come back. Others constantly sell and those are the people that I want to cash in on. I was thinking of writing a hack that would keep track of of how many times a new thread was started in the classified section. After X times, the user could no longer post an add and would have to buy an add subscription to reset the thread counter. Im sure some people will cheat by signing up again, but those that want to establish a reputation, would probably buy an add subscription.
        Ashley, the more I think about this the better it sounds!

It 'traps' the tightwad heavy operators into paying something.. The 'establishing a reputation with the same name part is GOLDEN! Soooooo true and sooooooo perfect!

The most active in the classifieds are bound to take it v badly but they are simply left with a business decision.. which is a no brainer... pay and live to trade another day..

Comment

I have had a code mod installed that restricts the number of times a member can post in a specific forum on a monthly/weekly or daily basis. It allows them to reply to other threads, but not to their own (could be seen as bumping). This has brought with it some complaints from members who want to advertise whatever it is they are selling more, but has avoided certain members from taking over the classified forum area.

I have two 'selling' areas... a free one (open for all members) and a commercial one. Commercial businesses and Advertisers can only post in the commercial one if they are active sponsors/supporters of my site. We keep a tight reign on this - in fairness to all our members. It is working quite well.
          John

Comment

~Can you go into more distiction between the differences between the two forums?

I dont quite get it..

But slowly inching towards a solution - thanks!

Jules

Comment

OK I did a poll (in the classsifieds section)

50% want it to remain free (what a surprise!)
              75% LOVE the fact that non registered people CANT see the classifieds (they can see all the other forums) it's the security / privacy from the massses they like.
              60% Say the classifieds ISNT the main reason for visiting (phew!)
              50% Say they prefer using the sites classifieds to using Ebay (also encoraging)

13% agreed a charge would be fair... (I put $5 - I think that scared a lot of people off)

Folks didn't like bumping....

So I am thinking....

$1 or $2 per post
              and NO bumping of OWN posts (thanks to the tips above)

could be a solution..

HOWEVER - as it has been free up untill now - its been pointed out to me that I might make some 'reward(?)' plan for ALL existing members to keep them 'sweet' and on-side.....

Like everyone gets 5 free thread creation permissions in the classifieds to use when ever..

Any thoughts / experience / overview / wise words?

I am all ears!

Thanks in advance...

(I could make the contribution HIGHER for hight ticket items????)

Folks sell stuff worth

$500
              $300
              $2000
              $1000

Advice? Vibe?
              Last edited by Make Money?-old; Fri 2nd Sep '05, 4:32pm.

Comment

I guess the UK does not have a Bargin finder paper like we do in some parts of Canada [B.C., Ab. Sask.] it is free and does not matter the price of item or what it is. The only thing is that you are not a business.

Comment

At present my site is a 'bargain' for a few people doing a LOT of trade within it.

They can kick in' a little..

Comment

back when i had a classified section i took and made it one of the perks for donating anything could be sold for any amount but they couldnt post until they donated

Comment

This is a good way to piss off your members. Charge more for banner ads!

Whats your sites url?
                      http://webdirectoryforums.com - Web Directory Forums - Coming soon!
                      http://linkageplus.com - PR5

Comment

css59 i took it down at the end of last year for some personal reasons but there was more than just being able to advertise goods in the classified section...alot more it was just one of the things they got from donating and the people who used it actually liked the fact that only they could post in there

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X