• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1th
    replied
    Originally posted by Mephisteus
    That works for everything. Not new in any way
    True, but the quality is probably poor on anything else but skype.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave#
    Google talk uses open standards, Jabber XMPP (define), which are gradually being used more and more around the world. That is a fundamental difference and a very important one.
    And this matters to me how? I don't know a single person who uses Jabber out of my friends and family. These people will be the most likely ones that I talk to. They use MSN, which is why I centered on this protocol. I know one person who uses AIM but that is my mother and she already calls me 5 times a day on the phone for every little thing, even when I was logged into AIM. None of them will turn to Google either. They don't have gMail accounts, they don't use Firefox. They use what comes from their Internet Provider which is either MSN or AOL.

Open standards don't mean jack if they aren't utilized. AM Broadcasting is an Open Standard as well. How many people listen to it much anymore? I know that you are all about Open Source and think everyone should use Linux. I think Open Source/Standards are nice if they do the job but prefer a tightly integrated system where everything works together easily and smoothly.

Leave a comment:

• ajaspers
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave#
    You don't think truly free VOIP is anything additional?

Jabber is cool too - open standard innit
    Skype, AIM, MSN, and Yahoo all offer "free VOIP" in the sense that you can talk to other users of the same service over the internet for free.

Yes, the open standard is cool, but you can't use the free VOIP service over Jabber.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Personally, I don't see a need for another IM. Just dumped Trillian Pro because it offered no benefit save hundreds of hours of configuration confusion. Would have abandoned AIM and ICQ long ago if I hadn't been using Trillian. Never really used Yahoo!. Finally settled on MSN with all its bells and whistles. Love version 7 and see no need to use anything else.
    Google talk uses open standards, Jabber XMPP (define), which are gradually being used more and more around the world. That is a fundamental difference and a very important one.

The only issue at the moment is that google servers can't see the rest of the world's Jabber servers

Leave a comment:

• yuppy
    replied
    No friend in the list.
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Cole2026
    replied
    I really try to refrain from using anything but the Microsoft OS, because I want to keep variety a known word in the technology world, and if MS keeps growing like it is, we wont have that much longer.

Anyways, I am a google person, I use gmail, google desktop search, google earth, google homepage, and of course, Google Search. I dont use any toolbars, because they are just a clutter to the browser. (Using Deer Park now)

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    MSN, who needs microsoft technology when you get this great gift from Google's {see image below}
    The sound quality is like the person is right next to you.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by amykhar
    The only reason I am considering google talk is because of the integration with Google Desktop, which I think is amazing. Out of all my free email clients, gmail is my favorite, and I love having my news, search, email, IM and weather all in one personalized place that isn't ad-filled like MSN and Yahoo.
    I have also been consolidating everything for one provider. I have chosen MSN though. I have MSN Premium, their desktop search, IE toolbar, MSN messenger and such. I don't get ads on my email because I am a premium subscriber. I get a customized home page and much more including parental controls on all my computers that adapt to my kids age automatically. Even in the process of migrating back to Internet Explorer.

Competition is nice but Google simply doesn't offer much of value to me. I am the bells and whistle person.

Leave a comment:

• amykhar
    replied
    The only reason I am considering google talk is because of the integration with Google Desktop, which I think is amazing. Out of all my free email clients, gmail is my favorite, and I love having my news, search, email, IM and weather all in one personalized place that isn't ad-filled like MSN and Yahoo.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Personally, I don't see a need for another IM. Just dumped Trillian Pro because it offered no benefit save hundreds of hours of configuration confusion. Would have abandoned AIM and ICQ long ago if I hadn't been using Trillian. Never really used Yahoo!. Finally settled on MSN with all its bells and whistles. Love version 7 and see no need to use anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I've mailed them my full suggestion (2 pages lol) on how to implement Gmail INSIDE Gtalk

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    It's a bit simplistic for my tastes, but overall, it's very cool. I think it's going to be huge, especially if they bring it outside of GMail.

Leave a comment:

• Jagged Tooth
    replied
    Cool, I now have Google Talk in Trillian . Unfortunately people may get an error that says "connection lost to sever" or something like that, if it happens just reconnect. Hope that Helps some People. And I too prefer it's simplicity too something like MSN, which is why I use Trillian. Also if anyone wants to add me just click my signature and use the gmail account.
    Last edited by Jagged Tooth; Wed 24 Aug '05, 5:47pm.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Code:
    [18:28:12] *** Creating connection "[email protected]/Trillian"
    [18:28:12] *** Server supports TLS encryption...
    [18:28:12] *** Negotiating XMPP SSL connection...
    [18:28:13] *** Connection established using EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA (TLSv1/SSLv3)
    [18:28:21] *** Attempting to authenticate using PLAIN
    [18:28:22] *** Authenticated.
    [18:28:30] *** You have successfully connected to Jabber.
    Now I finally have use for the Jabber plugin for Trillian.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by ajaspers
    Strange. Usually when Google introduces a new service, it is different from existing services in a substantial way (e.g. Gmail had a 1GB mailbox, which was unheard of).

Google Talk doesn't offer anything additional compared to AIM/MSN/Yahoo, besides the lack of ads in the official client. It doesn't even support chats with multiple people.
    You don't think truly free VOIP is anything additional?

Jabber is cool too - open standard innit

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X