What happens if you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if you....

What happens if you install a new skin..., would hacks be affected?? or is it the templates?

Hacks (your .php files should not have any affect while using a new skin) unless your forums are heavily customized/modified.

you may require to make some changes to your templates though.
    TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Depends on the hacks, skins change the templates, and images paths for the most part..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Would like any part of the phrases change??

Ok if the templates do change how on earth would i know which i had edited, and how would i back them up, would there be an easy way around this??

Comment

Originally posted by OS,
          Would like any part of the phrases change??

Ok if the templates do change how on earth would i know which i had edited, and how would i back them up, would there be an easy way around this??
          Some hacks have you add phrases, but the default ones usually dont change.
          You can tell if you edited a template, as it turns red if edited.

You can back things up by downloading the default style before making any changes.
          That way you can upload the default style.

But if anything ever went wrong, all you would have to do is revert all templates to default, and everything will go back to default..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
            Some hacks have you add phrases, but the default ones usually dont change.
            You can tell if you edited a template, as it turns red if edited.

You can back things up by downloading the default style before making any changes.
            That way you can upload the default style.

But if anything ever went wrong, all you would have to do is revert all templates to default, and everything will go back to default..
            So do you mean the default phrases will stay... the phrases that came with the board? and not any phrases that i had added?

So if i downlaoded all the templates the red ones, and installed a skin would i be able to then upload the old edited templates overriding the new templates would that affect anything?? or will it??

Comment

Originally posted by OS,
              So do you mean the default phrases will stay... the phrases that came with the board? and not any phrases that i had added?

So if i downlaoded all the templates the red ones, and installed a skin would i be able to then upload the old edited templates overriding the new templates would that affect anything?? or will it??
              default phrases - Yes they will stay, and any you add will also, why would you think they wouldnt stay?

If you installed a skin, then uploaded the old templates (style) , the old style would revert back, which would mess up your skin templates.

What you should do is create a new style, and install the skin onto that style, if your worried about having problems..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

aha i see what you mean ^^ yes yes! Ok so.., you mean create a new child of default style?? So like the Child would have inhertited the default style?? then I upload new skin to child style right? So i wont need to worry much? as ive always got my main parent style to go back to? hence i can work on the child style slowly to get the templates in order like the parent stlye? (hope your with me so far)

After i have done the changes would i be able to make the child style the default style?? as when each new guest visits they see my new style?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X