No announcement yet.

BotM - What do YOU look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look for a couple of major things, which are listed below in order which I look at first and last:
    1. Style/Looks (or feel)
      • Ads: Believe it or not, this does plays into it. I don't mind advertisements parsey (like the GoogleAdsense on the top or on one side), but what about pop-ups, or even ones that start playing sounds/music? Flashing ones and such I also dislike.
      • Colors: Are they nice and soft, or are they harsh and make things hard to see?
      • Font/Text: Can I easily see what is there? Do I have to change my settings or use some other options in order to clearly view what is there?
      • Interface Options: Is it easy to navigate? Can I get from Point A to Point C without needing to go through Point B (where applicable) if I chose to?
    2. Content
      • Up-to-date: Is the information current data (where applicable)? Is it maintained to keep on-top of latest information?
      • Content-filled: Is the site full of information, or just parts of it?
      • Orignality: Is the site/board original, or does it offer what every other site of its kind offer? Does it have something others doesn't? Or is it a site dedicated to something very few people do?
    Now it covers the board and site above, as I believe that the site and forum are usually (some only have a forum) integrated somewhat with each other. As I aid, the above is the order in which I look at things when I visit any site. Looks to get my attention, content to keep me there. The list above isn't exactly dedication to a BotM, but can be applied to when using both forums and sites, or independently.

The above also can help new administrators, as well as old ones, to keep on-top of what the usual user holds important (though they may not say it) to make a successful site. Just my opinion, of course.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Thank you very much! I appreciate that.
      Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Your welcome Kathy. Oni, very nice and informative post. I only have one question. Regarding content: how would you judge a forum where, due to the nature of it, any content must be user submitted, such as link exchange and reviews, art galleries and roleplaying forums?
        House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

Comment

Originally posted by RagingPenguin
          Your welcome Kathy. Oni, very nice and informative post. I only have one question. Regarding content: how would you judge a forum where, due to the nature of it, any content must be user submitted, such as link exchange and reviews, art galleries and roleplaying forums?
          That would then be under those "what, if, then" type of questions.

Then I would judge it on: How much activity is going on? Are users constantly submitting and/or commenting on submitted items? Are the comments helpful, or condenscending?

There's various ways to answering that kind of question, but anything related to the above would work is my guess.

Comment

What about this one guys? I just reopened it using my new license. With this one, I don't have any plans at all beyond having fun. WHerever the members take it is fine with me.

http://basses101.com

Comment

I look for a board that is active and at least has a consistant style through the system. Good intelligent conversation is a plus. Fast loading and easy to use, not overloaded with a hundred hacks no one uses or excessive graphics.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

What about this one guys? I just reopened it using my new license. With this one, I don't have any plans at all beyond having fun. WHerever the members take it is fine with me.

Should reverse your switch for collapsing categories. Right now the off position shows the category and the on position hides it.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Hm. I dunno. Is it? The '0' is for 'on' or 'open', the '-' is for 'off' or 'closed'. The state is whatever side is pressed, like a real switch. Does that makes sense, or do you still think it's backwards?

Comment

Well with a switch like that 0 equals off and 1 equals on. At least that is how my devices work. There is one on the back of your PC, try it and see. I would suspect it would work the same way on things guitarists would associate with like amps and soundboards.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I see. Your thinking in binary terms. I guess I hadn't considered that. I'll swap the out in a few then.

Comment

Done. I also swapped the thead switches too so both sets tilt the same direction for the same effect.

Comment

I really like the look of the skin. Did you do it yourself? Fast work in a few days, is it? Made your decision, eh?

Looks great, though there are some minor things, but that's fine (it's more of my personal preference more than anything else; but I divide it from my opinion when necessary). Again, good work and hope it has plenty of success.

Comment

Yes, it's completely my own work. But I think I'm gonna wait on 3.5 beore refining the style any further. No need duplicating work, eh? Thanks for the well wishes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X