No announcement yet.

How often do u backup you database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily (2 times). One in the night, one around noon. After the dump is compressed it is transfered to our backup server.
    The Sisko
    SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

2x per day to a file, backup to tape every night, FTP download weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
        Daily. Copied to a second hard drive, and to a online backup service we pay for.
        Which backup service do you use?

Comment

Daily ON the server, outside public dirs
          Every other day or so, it cycles and archives
          At least once per week it goes to second server
          And once per week offline to my harddrive and restored as a test to ensure it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima
            Which backup service do you use?
            http://raidarray.net/

They had a minor outage on one of their servers back a few months and were offering rebates, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) it didn't affect us and we didn't get a rebate.

When we first started with this company, they had some trouble keeping up with demand and the FTP servers were a bit flaky. They were having a special and I think just starting out, but ever since then I've never had trouble. It's worked quite well, and I like the variety of backup options. Rsync over SSH is particularly appealing, though I must admit I'm only doing FTP's at this point.
            TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

We actually have our forum backed up every 12 hours and sent to one of our backup servers.

Comment

At KyleTech Internet we have hourly backups of everything we have.

Comment

http://raidarray.net/

They had a minor outage on one of their servers back a few months and were offering rebates, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) it didn't affect us and we didn't get a rebate.

When we first started with this company, they had some trouble keeping up with demand and the FTP servers were a bit flaky. They were having a special and I think just starting out, but ever since then I've never had trouble. It's worked quite well, and I like the variety of backup options. Rsync over SSH is particularly appealing, though I must admit I'm only doing FTP's at this point.
                  Is it raidarray that connects to your server to pick up a mysql dump or is your server that connects to raidarray? How do you automate it?

Comment

Is it raidarray that connects to your server to pick up a mysql dump or is your server that connects to raidarray? How do you automate it?
                    I've got a cron script set up that dumps the database then FTP's it to Raid-Array.

Comment

I've got a cron script set up that dumps the database then FTP's it to Raid-Array.
                      Would you mind sharing it?

Comment

Daily - to various backup servers that do nothing but collect and archive backups.

Comment

Cron job every 24 hours.

Comment

Would you mind sharing it?
                            Code:
                            #!/bin/bash

username=`echo <BACKUP USER>`
                            password=`echo <BACKUP PASS>`
                            name=`echo <NAME OF DB TO BE BACKED UP>`

DOW=`date +%w`

# remove last week's backup
                            rm -f <PATH TO DUMP DIRECTORY>/${DOW}.sql 
                            rm -f <PATH TO DUMP DIRECTORY>/${DOW}.sql.gz

# Dump It
                            mysqldump --opt --quick -u ${username} -p${password} $name  > <PATH TO DUMP DIRECTORY>/${DOW}.sql

gzip -f <PATH TO DUMP DIRECTORY>/${DOW}.sql

cd <PATH TO DUMP DIRECTORY>

# ftp the file
                            ftp -n <<EOF
                            open <FTP ADDY>
                            user <USERNAME> <PASSWORD>
                            put ${DOW}.sql.gz
                            bye
                            EOF

exit
                            Yeah, there are a lot of little things I don't like about it. But it works. Just go through and customize the bits I put in angle brackets. It's saved me a few times.

One of these days I will get around to implementing the same backup system I have on my home network. It's a real beauty, and I set it up just to test the idea out to see if I could use it for the forums. I liked it so much, I kept it going.

As for the script, I have a special MySQL user called that is only used for backups. It has very limited privileges, and is very tightly nailed down. You can use the same MySQL info in your vB config.php, but I personally try not to. PhpMyAdmin has a great little tool to help edit user permissions if you're inclined to check it out.
                            Last edited by cirisme; Thu 18 Aug '05, 8:52am.

Comment

Thanks cirisme for sharing. One last question, how big is the mysql dump file you are transfering? Are your attachements in the DB or the file system?

Comment

Compressed they're about 450mb. Attachments are in the file system and are backed up offsite similarly to the database, but not as often. That runs about 700mb. (compressed)

This all, of course, depends on how much data you have. I have 2 GB of data sitting in the database right now, so the compression isn't half bad. I've found that the text data produced from MySQLDump is significantly smaller (at least half the size) than the binary data produced by MySQLHotCopy when compressed. However, if you have slow IDE disks, MySQLHotCopy is somewhat better than MySQLDump. But I'd highly recommend having fast disks + dump, it's been an almost perfect solution for me.
                                Last edited by cirisme; Thu 18 Aug '05, 7:46pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X