Store scripts and vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store scripts and vbulletin

I'm considering dropping cafepress for merchandise on my website and going at it alone. I need a way to sell DVD's of our first feature film and black t-shirts.
    I was wondering what scripts out there are best to use along side a vb3?

1. I need something that will allow me to accept money via paypal.
    2. Something that allows me to accept presales (for when DVD's aren't yet out)
    3. Something that is easy to use.
    4. Preferably something free.

If it can integrate with vb3 that would be great. But I guess it doesn't really have to. But it would be nice to offer only one login on our site.

thanks
    www.ScapeFilms.com

I am currently building a site which is going to integrate vBulletin with X-Cart. Not a free solution but allows you to do the other three items on your list. In order to integrate it with vBulletin 3, you need a third party add-on that can be found at Cart-Lab.

In the free realm you can look at OSCommerce or one of its offspring like Zen-Cart. Both communities are very cliqué-like so it will take some effort to get actual support on them. Software is okay from these groups but it isn't very optimized (single page could take 1000 or more queries depending on number of categories) but for a small shop they should work okay. Both are ostenisbly open source but they try to place restrictions on what you can and cannot do with the software even though it is released under the GPL license. They also quote outrageous amounts of money for personal support like $200/hr. as if they were Oracle or IBM. I would suggest staying away from the commercialized offspring of OSCommerce, they don't offer anything more than what you can get from the free version. Also OSCommerce has an agonizingly long development cycle, the current beta version has been under development for over 700 days and it is only the third beta in the cycle out of four planned. You can also look at Hotscripts for more options.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

X-Cart seems like probably the solution I will be looking into. Just at the moment don't have the money for all those addons!

Is the vB Add-on free?
      Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      I am currently building a site which is going to integrate vBulletin with X-Cart. Not a free solution but allows you to do the other three items on your list. In order to integrate it with vBulletin 3, you need a third party add-on that can be found at Cart-Lab.

In the free realm you can look at OSCommerce or one of its offspring like Zen-Cart. Both communities are very cliqué-like so it will take some effort to get actual support on them. Software is okay from these groups but it isn't very optimized (single page could take 1000 or more queries depending on number of categories) but for a small shop they should work okay. Both are ostenisbly open source but they try to place restrictions on what you can and cannot do with the software even though it is released under the GPL license. They also quote outrageous amounts of money for personal support like $200/hr. as if they were Oracle or IBM. I would suggest staying away from the commercialized offspring of OSCommerce, they don't offer anything more than what you can get from the free version. Also OSCommerce has an agonizingly long development cycle, the current beta version has been under development for over 700 days and it is only the third beta in the cycle out of four planned. You can also look at Hotscripts for more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan
        Is the vB Add-on free?
        The one that I linked to costs $39.99. It modifies X-CART and not vBulletin though. Haven't really looked at the coding as of yet but it only requires two lines of actual code to be added to X-Cart to work.

I think Kathy (admin over at TheAdminZone.com) uses X-Cart as well. Her site is a little more established so she might be able to give more insight on it.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I have used OSCommerce and loved it for what it is. Ran a medium sized store with it and had absolutly no problems. In fact with some customization to the looks e-commerce increased 400%.

There are also 2 forks of this available that have extensive modifications added to them already. I forget the URLS off hand but I have them at home. If you are interested just PM me.

Comment

The one that I linked to costs $39.99. It modifies X-CART and not vBulletin though. Haven't really looked at the coding as of yet but it only requires two lines of actual code to be added to X-Cart to work.

I think Kathy (admin over at TheAdminZone.com) uses X-Cart as well. Her site is a little more established so she might be able to give more insight on it.
            Thanks for the info. Is your site live yet? Or is there a live-demo? If you would like to have a sort of feild-testing period done. I wouldn't mind going through the store for you to find bugs -- I would actually appreciate if you would invite me to do so, it would give me a good chance to check out the software in its prime customized form.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm trying out os commerce and one called cubecart. Not too thrilled with either. I don't want to pay $185 for xcart because honestly I'll probably never make that much at my store.

What I really want is something extremely simple. If you look at my site you'll see what I mean. I'm only going to be selling a couple DVD's and a couple t-shirts. I'd prefer to just have one page of each item with a big picture, description and add-to-cart button. Nothing fancy like categories or multiple languages/currencies or all the other stuff these other scripts have. Just a simple elegant way to sell and interface with paypal.
              www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

Have you looked at:
                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ghlight=Paypal

Or you could simply make an HTML file and use Paypal's Shopping Cart included free with every account.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Warning: I bought that addon for a client when it was first released and it's basically useless. Plus the 3rd party devs for XC have this habit of Zend encoding their scripts, so if you think you're gonna pick up a copy of something and tweak it to make it work, think again. XC badly needs a real VB integration provided by nobody over there, period.
                  "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                  It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X