Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any devices that boost WiFi (802.11g) Signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solarcruiser
    replied
    homegrown solution, can antenna

try this, if youre up to it:
    http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

I have a DI 524 and am prolly going with this solution.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by DirectPixel
    Regulations.

They do sell higher-gain antennas, though. And as of recently, many wireless routers are beginning to sport removable/replaceable antennas.
    I have a BEFW11S4 version 1.0 (first gen 802.11b) that I replaced two days ago and it sports removable antennas.

Leave a comment:

• someuser190826
    replied
    Originally posted by jpm777
    The info on the one I posted above is a power boosted antenna, not just a larger or higher gain antenna. It actually boosts the signals power and it has three power settings. I used one of these in a large house where there was no signal in one side of the house and most of the back yard. After installing this booster, I had good signal in all of the house and back yard.

tgillespie, this would work good for your friend. This fixed the same problem for me as your friend is having. Again, this is not just a higher gain antenna, it actually boosts the signal. Think of the distance a garden hose can shoot water compared to a fire hose. This boosts the signal and "Throws" if farther to cover a larger area.
    Thanks, this is probably the best solution for me at this time. I will check it out. Where did you buy it? How much did it end up costing you?

Leave a comment:

• r007
    replied
    WiFi Speed Spray

Dear Arunan,

I've found that WiFi Speed Spray is the most effecting in situations like these.

Thanks for listening,
    -Robert

Leave a comment:

• jpm777
    replied
    The info on the one I posted above is a power boosted antenna, not just a larger or higher gain antenna. It actually boosts the signals power and it has three power settings. I used one of these in a large house where there was no signal in one side of the house and most of the back yard. After installing this booster, I had good signal in all of the house and back yard.

tgillespie, this would work good for your friend. This fixed the same problem for me as your friend is having. Again, this is not just a higher gain antenna, it actually boosts the signal. Think of the distance a garden hose can shoot water compared to a fire hose. This boosts the signal and "Throws" if farther to cover a larger area.
    Last edited by jpm777; Sat 13th Aug '05, 1:04pm.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    I was also looking into this for a friend who has a Centrino laptop. Being onboard, there isn't much he can do for an antenna, so I told him about the only thing he could do was add another wireless access point. The end result was him just using his laptop in certian locations, such as his porch.

Leave a comment:

• someuser190826
    replied
    Well I like everything clean. A better antenna for the D-Link would be good, but not sure how effective they are proven to be.

A cordless device that I can mount close to my wireless glass-break detector would be pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Note expanders only work with their own native devices, meaning one companies devices won't work with another.

Leave a comment:

• Lurk
    replied
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124155
    You can try Linksys HGA7T Wireless High Gain Antenna kit. It should boost it quite a bit. If you are looking to extend the range of your Wireless G router, you can also try the Linksys Wireless G range Expander, which can be found here. You can also try placing your antennas in better places by using an antenna stand, which can be located here.

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C
    What router do you have? I tested out my linksys today and it picked up in the garden @ around 18mbs which is approximately 30m away from the router
    May I ask which Linksys router you have? I'm planning on going wireless myself when I get my laptop next month and a PSP later this year, and I want as strong a connection as possible (3 story house, 3 PC's, 2 laptops, a PS2, an Xbox [possibly an Xbox 360 come november], a Nintendo DS, a PSP, and a possible 3rd laptop, all of which need to be powered by 1 router)...

MGM out

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    I would be pretty keen on gettting something that does this, but if its just a matter of a bigger antenna; why don't the wireless people sell bigger and better versions of their kit?
    Regulations.

They do sell higher-gain antennas, though. And as of recently, many wireless routers are beginning to sport removable/replaceable antennas.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    I would be pretty keen on gettting something that does this, but if its just a matter of a bigger antenna; why don't the wireless people sell bigger and better versions of their kit?

Leave a comment:

• someuser190826
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    If you have a Dlink, this is what you want.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=357
    Seems good, but $100 CDN (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...sku=D700-3008).
    Do new atennas like the one posted by jpm77 really work?

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    If you have a Dlink, this is what you want.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=357

Leave a comment:

• jpm777
    replied
    I had the same type of problem and this works really good. It works with most routers with an external antenna, installs easy, and has three power settings so you don't power the whole neighborhood (Unless you want to).

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...578&pfp=SEARCH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X