Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any devices that boost WiFi (802.11g) Signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any devices that boost WiFi (802.11g) Signal?

I have the router and modem mounted in the electrical room in the basement. I have a computer in the office (in the basement) which is getting an ok signal (not good - around 18mbps to 24 mbps). We have two other laptops used on the uppermost level - the signal is very weak.

I am looking to add some sort of device that will reroute the signal further around the mainfloor of the house (wall-mountable and battery operated). Any other device that would do the same would suffice as well.

Thanks!

What router do you have? I tested out my linksys today and it picked up in the garden @ around 18mbs which is approximately 30m away from the router
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
      What router do you have? I tested out my linksys today and it picked up in the garden @ around 18mbs which is approximately 30m away from the router
      I have a D-Link (DI-524) Router.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's your particular model, but I recall reading an article somewhere a while back that detailed the exact steps needed to boost a D-Link router's signal (soldering required) to levels so powerful that the FCC would come knocking.
        :)

Comment

I had the same type of problem and this works really good. It works with most routers with an external antenna, installs easy, and has three power settings so you don't power the whole neighborhood (Unless you want to).

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...578&pfp=SEARCH

Comment

If you have a Dlink, this is what you want.
            http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=357
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              If you have a Dlink, this is what you want.
              http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=357
              Seems good, but $100 CDN (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...sku=D700-3008).
              Do new atennas like the one posted by jpm77 really work?

Comment

I would be pretty keen on gettting something that does this, but if its just a matter of a bigger antenna; why don't the wireless people sell bigger and better versions of their kit?
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk
                DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                  I would be pretty keen on gettting something that does this, but if its just a matter of a bigger antenna; why don't the wireless people sell bigger and better versions of their kit?
                  Regulations.

They do sell higher-gain antennas, though. And as of recently, many wireless routers are beginning to sport removable/replaceable antennas.
                  :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                    May I ask which Linksys router you have? I'm planning on going wireless myself when I get my laptop next month and a PSP later this year, and I want as strong a connection as possible (3 story house, 3 PC's, 2 laptops, a PS2, an Xbox [possibly an Xbox 360 come november], a Nintendo DS, a PSP, and a possible 3rd laptop, all of which need to be powered by 1 router)...

MGM out

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124155
                      You can try Linksys HGA7T Wireless High Gain Antenna kit. It should boost it quite a bit. If you are looking to extend the range of your Wireless G router, you can also try the Linksys Wireless G range Expander, which can be found here. You can also try placing your antennas in better places by using an antenna stand, which can be located here.
                      Let the flames begin.

Comment

Note expanders only work with their own native devices, meaning one companies devices won't work with another.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well I like everything clean. A better antenna for the D-Link would be good, but not sure how effective they are proven to be.

A cordless device that I can mount close to my wireless glass-break detector would be pretty cool.

Comment

I was also looking into this for a friend who has a Centrino laptop. Being onboard, there isn't much he can do for an antenna, so I told him about the only thing he could do was add another wireless access point. The end result was him just using his laptop in certian locations, such as his porch.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

The info on the one I posted above is a power boosted antenna, not just a larger or higher gain antenna. It actually boosts the signals power and it has three power settings. I used one of these in a large house where there was no signal in one side of the house and most of the back yard. After installing this booster, I had good signal in all of the house and back yard.

tgillespie, this would work good for your friend. This fixed the same problem for me as your friend is having. Again, this is not just a higher gain antenna, it actually boosts the signal. Think of the distance a garden hose can shoot water compared to a fire hose. This boosts the signal and "Throws" if farther to cover a larger area.
                              Last edited by jpm777; Sat 13th Aug '05, 1:04pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X