Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ordered a iMac!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I ordered a iMac!

    I got the iMac G5! I hope it will get here before the week is over! I got approved for Apple Credit! I upgraded the memory to 1 GB.

    Anyone have one of these?

    17-inch widescreen LCD
    2GHz PowerPC G5
    667MHz frontside bus
    512K L2 cache
    1 GB DDR400 SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (double-layer)
    ATI Radeon 9600
    128MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem


    http://www.icecreamforum.com

  • #2
    Congratulations and welcome to the mac community .

    I don't have a new iMac G5, however; I have a G4 tower. Though those iMacs are nice machines.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm very tempted to get a Mac as well. Probably one of those new iBooks for $999 (tax-free weekend coming up ).

      Although with the impending change over to Intel for next year, I'm very hesitant. Although $999 for a 12-inch is an exceptionally good deal when compared to other ultra-portable laptops. Good battery life, too.
      :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HexOnxOnx
        I got the iMac G5! I hope it will get here before the week is over! I got approved for Apple Credit! I upgraded the memory to 1 GB.

        Anyone have one of these?

        17-inch widescreen LCD
        2GHz PowerPC G5
        667MHz frontside bus
        512K L2 cache
        1 GB DDR400 SDRAM
        160GB Serial ATA hard drive
        Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (double-layer)
        ATI Radeon 9600
        128MB DDR video memory
        56K internal modem

        Looks like it has great specs (definitely better than my computer).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DirectPixel
          I'm very tempted to get a Mac as well. Probably one of those new iBooks for $999 (tax-free weekend coming up ).

          Although with the impending change over to Intel for next year, I'm very hesitant. Although $999 for a 12-inch is an exceptionally good deal when compared to other ultra-portable laptops. Good battery life, too.
          I would probably wait. Apple's portable product line has been stagnant for an eternity because they can't produce mobile G5s nor really add to the current G4s sans possible dual cores.

          I also had an iBook that slowly self-destructed over the course of a year or so. However, before it destroyed itself, it had an incredible battery life (4 hours) for an average portable; plus, having portable Mac OS X is great. Its Wifi implementation is worlds better than Windows' cumbersome buggy interface.

          For web development, I got a G4 Cube off eBay for $300, upgraded the video card to a Radeon 9200 so I can do Quartz Extreme, and upgraded the memory to 384 MB of RAM from parts I already had. It's a great machine and for 500 MHz runs surprisingly fast (except GarageBand which it just barely handles). Fanless, too, although the previous owner upgraded the hard drive to a 7200 RPM model that's quite clicky. I use my Cube in the morning for e-mail and web browsing because it boots up three times as fast as my PC and just gets the job done for 400 watts less and 40 dB quieter.

          Now the day they start selling Mac OS X for Intel Macs and they reverse-DRM it for PCs hours after its release...that's when I'll dual-boot my tablet and desktop.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by filburt1
            I would probably wait. Apple's portable product line has been stagnant for an eternity because they can't produce mobile G5s nor really add to the current G4s sans possible dual cores.

            I also had an iBook that slowly self-destructed over the course of a year or so. However, before it destroyed itself, it had an incredible battery life (4 hours) for an average portable; plus, having portable Mac OS X is great. Its Wifi implementation is worlds better than Windows' cumbersome buggy interface.

            For web development, I got a G4 Cube off eBay for $300, upgraded the video card to a Radeon 9200 so I can do Quartz Extreme, and upgraded the memory to 384 MB of RAM from parts I already had. It's a great machine and for 500 MHz runs surprisingly fast (except GarageBand which it just barely handles). Fanless, too, although the previous owner upgraded the hard drive to a 7200 RPM model that's quite clicky. I use my Cube in the morning for e-mail and web browsing because it boots up three times as fast as my PC and just gets the job done for 400 watts less and 40 dB quieter.

            Now the day they start selling Mac OS X for Intel Macs and they reverse-DRM it for PCs hours after its release...that's when I'll dual-boot my tablet and desktop.
            So it will happen?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arunan
              So it will happen?
              I highly doubt the DRM will keep Mac OS X tied down for long. Within hours, maybe not, but I'd give it about a week before it's cracked open. Granted, it'll violate the EULA probably.
              Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a PearPC Mac :/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DirectPixel
                  I'm very tempted to get a Mac as well. Probably one of those new iBooks for $999 (tax-free weekend coming up ).

                  Although with the impending change over to Intel for next year, I'm very hesitant. Although $999 for a 12-inch is an exceptionally good deal when compared to other ultra-portable laptops. Good battery life, too.
                  I would go for it.

                  Apple isn't going to even have an Intel out until late 2006 - if not 2007. And you don't want to get the first gen (of anything). And it's not like development for powerpc will stop there. Because the Intel line will start off with a VERY small user base, which probably won't equal the current powerpc user base for at least 18 months (I'm just speculating, thinking in terms of demand).

                  I believe if you buy any Mac right now, you will get a full and rich life out of it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I want a Mac...
                    Let the flames begin.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've been using my 800mhz iBook for almost 2 years without problem it might be slow for running video editing or image things but its fine for web browsing and watching dvds on.

                      I'm tempted by a new iMac from the Higher Education store for £940, remember if you're a student you can get cheaper hardware.
                      Scott MacVicar

                      My Blog | Twitter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                        I've been using my 800mhz iBook for almost 2 years without problem it might be slow for running video editing or image things but its fine for web browsing and watching dvds on.

                        I'm tempted by a new iMac from the Higher Education store for £940, remember if you're a student you can get cheaper hardware.
                        Apple has great discounts for students.

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X