Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets see how you use paid subscriptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets see how you use paid subscriptions!

We are about to make a "Site Plus" type of setup where users have to pay to get some of the features such as private messaging, and that kind of stuff.

I am interested in how others have utilized the paid subscriptions. I am primarly interested in how you market this to your members so if you could link to your info page, or whatever you do to encourage your users to sign up, I would appreciate it!

I've never really gotten any successful stories about the paid subscriptions, but there are alot of plugins for 3.5 on vBulletin.org that you could offer as incentives to join

I think if you advertise the features well and keep the cost low then people will buy it if they like your site

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by cmiller1014
      We are about to make a "Site Plus" type of setup where users have to pay to get some of the features such as private messaging, and that kind of stuff.

I am interested in how others have utilized the paid subscriptions. I am primarly interested in how you market this to your members so if you could link to your info page, or whatever you do to encourage your users to sign up, I would appreciate it!
      I use paid subscriptions to give access to a private members area.
      :)

Comment

Got a test username / pass or should I register?

Comment

Oh yeah.

FireBlades.org Supporting Member

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a "Supporting Member".

Features:
          No Ads - Ad-Free browsing of the site.
          UNLIMITED space to upload images/videos to our Gallery, plus the ability to create your own, custom image categories.
          UNLIMITED space to attach images/files to your posts.
          Ability to upload your own custom Avatar.
          Ability to upload your own custom Profile Picture.
          Ability to set your own "User Title" text.
          Ability to have a "Signature" on your posts.
          Additional private message storage.
          Access to the on-line Arcade.
          I have it $20 for 1 year, $35 for 2 years, $50 for 3 years, or $100 for "lifetime".
          vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Also... whats the best way to put up errors that say "Sorry you need to be a premium member to access this page"? Should I just use template conditionals with usergroups? How would I make sure this only shows up on special features (like access to a specific forum) and not on other standard errors?

Comment

Cool... another question. What do you guys think about offering no private messaging at all unless they pay? Im afraid that it may be a pain for me if I cant PM them, but I really want to give them a reason to subscribe.

Comment

I limit "normal" registered users to 50 PMs in their folders.
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Cool... another question. What do you guys think about offering no private messaging at all unless they pay? Im afraid that it may be a pain for me if I cant PM them, but I really want to give them a reason to subscribe.
                  Setting a low limit is the way to do it, not turning it off. Set a max of 10 or 25 messages at once, which means that you pretty much have to upgrade to use private messenging. But you don't want to completely eliminate it or nobody will feel a need for increased storage and it won't even do paying members any good if they can't message anyone else.
                  MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

For $20 a year
                    • No ads
                    • More upload space in the forum and gallery
                    • More PMs
                    • Username in bold and on forum leaders page
                    • premium member graphic

Comment

You can use the paid subscriptions for anything. Back when I was on a tight budget to develop an e-commerce website, I used vBulletin as a back-end and developed around it, and used the forums for support, developed a script to display products and bought it through subscriptions, each order would then also be placed in a private forum.

I know some sites I visit offer useful upgrades to the forum, but nowadays people come to expect these things as standard for forum software.

Comment

I'm not so sure of that. I personally think that all members should be able to use all features of your forums. Paying members should be paying for extras, not basic necessities that every forum should have.

Ideally, I think you will have the best conversion rates if you offer your paying members content, not access to niche features. For example, give them access to premium articles, extra chances to participate in contests, subscription to a monthly insider newsletter, offer them downloads of cool goodies related to your forum's topic, etc.

Saying that paying $20 for year just so your username can be a different color or so you don't have a cap on PM's is pretty lame, IMO. If I wanted a username color change, I'll apply it myself using Greasemonkey or I'll simply join a different site. But giving me access to exclusive articles and insider news that I won't find anywhere else? That's definitively something I'll pay for.
                        :)

Comment

Depends on the community I think.

For upgraded members we offer:
                          Avatars (registered members don't get avatars)
                          Photogallery
                          Advertising forum
                          Special badge
                          and the warm fuzzy feeling they are helping to keep our website free. Our community is a medical support website.

We also have member badges for different events that members can receive because of certain activity (example: filling out a member survey) or purchasing them for themselves or others (example: You're an angel badge or cancer badge where the funds are sent to the cancer coalitition)
                          Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

I have the paid subscriptions set up more as a donation/tip jar type thing, mainly to help with the hosting costs, etc. They do get more PM storage and a private forum.
                            Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X