Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smachol
    upperking,

I think you are misunderstanding this issue. A valid URL should be required if you are asking for support for your UBB or vB board. That's a perfectly reasonable expectation.

However there's no requirement to give a URL if you are only asking questions or making comments. No one is limiting your ability to do that.
    whoops posted too soon
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

So, aside from shutting down pirated sites as they are reported, what else is jelsoft doing about rampant piracy of vBulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by wert
        So, aside from shutting down pirated sites as they are reported, what else is jelsoft doing about rampant piracy of vBulletin?
        the problem with open source software is that you can't do much at all to protect it.
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

That is actually a very good idea Scott.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

So, if Me2Be wants to publicly post a support question, that would mean she'd have to publicly post one of her URLs as well?

If she doesn't want to, that should be her choice, and from what I've seen, she'd rather not.

I know that she's very well-known here, and she could probably get away with not doing that, but then you'd have others saying 'Well, you made an exception in *her* case, so why should I have to post mine.....'

Most people *do* like to publicly ask for support, so others can benefit if they're in the same bind. I know I do.

Scott's idea is a good one in dealing with the issue of piracy, but it should still be up to the owner of the board to decide whether or not they want to post their URL for all to see.

If someone says, 'hey, take a look at my board and tell me why this error is happening', great. If not, like I said, it should be up to them.

Just my two cents.

Comment

hmmm...

I own 3 licenses...

1 of my boards, I'd rather not give out the address - kinda like Carrie... It would invaid my member's privacy... I'm not going to have some stranger knowing my member's business... hence I've closed off registration - and only registered users can new the boards...

Some people on this board know the address to that board, Nicholas Brown (my host), Me2Be (use to - no sure if she remembers the address), CJ, and JamesUS (and of course James and John).... I only give out the address to people I trust that wont get their jollys from reading my member's post...

Some boards are used for a private cause..other's are private... I'm not saying that I don't like the idea of having to post the URL (hence when I don't have a website listed in my profile - because I start out with my private board)..... But I don't think its necessary to post the URL in view of the public on the board...

Did that make sense?

just my .02...

Comment

I am suggesting that your URL and/or License be available to proper vBulletin staff who provide support not that information should not be publicly available on the boards.

I don't see the harm in requiring that information before providing support. The other option would be to provide support by ticket only, which will only add another layer to the process and cause delays.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Understandable...

I have not problem giving out my address to those in authority...

Comment

that idea is already under discussion, as is having the installation forums viewable only to those with valid licenses.

While there is little we can do to stop piracy, we *can* stop helping thieves get it up and running
                    Webmaster:
                    @forumz

Comment

Never force users to display their url's in public view. This will discourage many people from posting questions and cause an uproar.

I've posted questions to newsgroup many times, but have never given out my url. Why? Because some of my questions can give hackers a glimpse into my level of administration knowledge, my site's security policies, and other sensitive material I just don't think is anybody else's business.

Can you imagine if a user asks a question "how do I change the default password to my site xxxx.com??" And can you imagine Jelsoft's liabilities should xxxx.com be hacked because they made this information public?

Url's should be required for support issues, but please, let it be absolutely confidential between the customer and Jelsoft.
                      Last edited by Skeptical; Mon 23rd Apr '01, 10:38pm.
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

After reading the comments from Skeptical and others, I change my mind. I do believe there are valid reasons for keeping a URL private. While I think a URL should still be provided to get support, people should not be required to post it publicly.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                        X