Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rules

I noticed UBB has made new rules on thier site

Always post the URL to your board. Do not bump a thread in less than 24 hours. We are trying to answer all questions ASAP

I hope VB doesnt bring this about
    Last edited by upperking; Fri 27th Apr '01, 12:29pm.

Actually, I was thinking about requiring the first one for installation support. We get an awful lot of pirated boards over here asking for help installing and if w require the URL to the board to either be posted or sent in a PM we would have a way checking the validity.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

why not just have that in the members area?

Comment

I think that if you want help with your vBulletin, then you must post your sites URL.

It's a good idea. Best idea that UBB came up with yet.

Comment

i dont think so..i wont buy a licence for a board that i cant get some posts in first..
          Last edited by upperking; Fri 20th Apr '01, 5:10pm.

Comment

Originally posted by upperking
            i dont think so..i wont buy a licence for a board that i cant get some posts in first..
            I'm sure Infopop doesn't mean to exclude non-UBB customers from asking questions about their product. However if someone is specifically asking for support, then I think insisting on the URL is perfectly reasonable.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

well its password forced now allso

i dont agree thats what the memberes only areas are for..the more rules that are made for these forums the less intrest peeps become..

Comment

I think requiring a valid URL to your vBulletin should be required for any and all support but there are areas of this forum that aren't strictly for support that could remain open.

I don't see how that would be a difficult burden on any license holder.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

upperking,

I think you are misunderstanding this issue. A valid URL should be required if you are asking for support for your UBB or vB board. That's a perfectly reasonable expectation.

However there's no requirement to give a URL if you are only asking questions or making comments. No one is limiting your ability to do that.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

well i make my rounds on 30 different BB boards and it would breakme to buy a license for each one just to enable me to post in thier support forums..
                    crapy idea leave it for the members area only unless you decide to password your whole site from out siders

and you will find allot of posts and replys in the support forums that are questions about the boards that dont own a lic and donot have a pirate board either;;;

ooww well who cares anyway
                    Last edited by upperking; Fri 20th Apr '01, 7:28pm.

Comment

If you don't have a license you shouldn't be asking for support. That would restrict out of approximately 5 forums here out of 24 publicly accessible forums.

No one is saying you have to buy a license to post questions or join in general topic questions. We are saying that you should have a valid license and URL to receive support for a commercial product. Support that requires people to drop what they are doing to help others.

The other point I don't see is why you are getting so upset about this. You are the one that brought it up. We could move the entire support forum behind the members area like you suggested and you would have no access whatsoever.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

well, the more money a company makes the greedier they get and the more restrictions they lay down..

that happens in software, seen it with UBB and others developers guess thats how the world turns

and it is a priate and money issue, your putting restrictions on the most important forums in this place so out siders cant comunicate about this software just because of piraters. who cares about them you can never really truley stop it but if anything we probaley gain more information just from thier posts and problems
                        those fricken piraters are some of the smartest basturds out thier and they would never purchase your software anyway, i dont understand how develelopers say they are losing money when it would have never been spent anyway, just because they have it doesnt mean they would have bought it if it were not available floating around. it only takes one program to leak and it spreads like wild fire but these people that get their hands on it would never have paid for it so how the hell is that losing money? its money the company claimes thats thiers, they never would have had in the first place. and anyone that has the money to buy the software will buy it for the members support area and updates.I dont support what they do but dont restrict me from my pleasure of browsing and comunicating on this site because of them..

i dont have a license i really dont need one because i dont have a need for spending that kinda money for a forum just for a couple members, but i enjoy reading and learning and posting about this software im allready limited from the members area isnt that enough? and if you do restrict me from them then i have no reason to visit here and when and if i do decide to purchase a license then you lost my 175.00 dollars plus any future buys and referrals. i dont see how that can be saving money for you guys ..

Last edited by upperking; Sat 21st Apr '01, 12:13am.

Comment

I honestly don't understand what you're upset about. No one is saying you can't post on their forums. Of course you can post your comments and questions. What Infopop is saying is that if you want support for one of your UBB boards, then you need to post a URL to your board.

What's wrong with that?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hmm, you got strange thoughts there, upperking. I don't understand it.

What is wrong with providing URL to the board when you are asking support for your board?

No one said you can not post . You are free to ask questions and concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
                              Actually, I was thinking about requiring the first one for installation support. We get an awful lot of pirated boards over here asking for help installing and if w require the URL to the board to either be posted or sent in a PM we would have a way checking the validity.
                              not a good idea, remember me 11 months back, posted on this forum asking about how vB would perform for my new server ... didn't have a license when i posted

now look at me

i thought the unique id code in the admin directory's index.php file was for this purpose ?
                              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Working...
                              X