How does vBulletin compare to UBB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does vBulletin compare to UBB?

I'm currently a UBB user. I've already been kicked off two hosts for being a massive resource hog and I am looking into some other BB programs. I was refered to vBulletin by some friends and i'd like some input. How does vBulletin compare to UBB in CPU usuage, bandwith, etc? I'd love any comments or information. Thanks!
    3rdgen.org - Real Cars, Real People, Real Fast!

http://vbulletin.com/forum/search.ph...der=descending

Comment

I'm currently in the process of switching from UBB to vB. I can't really comment on the bandwidth and resource issues. I'll leave that to others more knowledgeable than me. One thing people will want to know is the size of your board (current users and messages) as well as the traffic (visitors and messages per day.) This will allow people to make a better estimate of resource requirements.

However I can tell you that the in terms of features and speed, vB is far superior to UBB. If your current host supports PHP 4.0 and mySQL then you should definitely check it out.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I know I could have done that silly
        I just wanted to some new and fresh perspectives pertaining to my current problem.

Comment

I moved yesterday from UBB 6.04a to vBulletin 2.0.0 RC1

CPU usage with UBB 6 was on my RaQ3 up to 98% CPU/user but with vB is the CPU usage only 4-9% CPU/user and the board load fast
          Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Philipp
            I moved yesterday from UBB 6.04a to vBulletin 2.0.0 RC1

CPU usage with UBB 6 was on my RaQ3 up to 98% CPU/user but with vB is the CPU usage only 4-9% CPU/user and the board load fast
            Damn!

I'm host at Tera-Byte and my site was down for about 15 minutes yesturday. The domain was resolving but the ubb just wouldn't load. The lady said I was using over 50% of the servers resources. I had a talk with my host and even the tech guy recommended vBulletin to me He said "We use it here! Its an unbelievably awesome piece of software."

Thanks for your words Philipp!

Comment

vB doesn't suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                vB doesn't suck.
                Touche'

Comment

Another question.....

Can I disable Views and Last Post in the actual thread summary listing so only subject, thread starter, replies, and last post time show? Basically I only want one line per thread so it looks cleaner (I.E. UBB)

I looked around in the demo control panel and wasnt able to find anything about that.

Comment

I see you haven't looked at template.

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
                      I see you haven't looked at template.
                      You are correct in your assumption! :Me goes looking:

Comment

RTFM!

Comment

UBB vs. Vbulletin

Good Question:

I would say that I am as much qualified to answer the question as any. My UBB license was for 6.0 and purchased less than a month ago. My vB license was just purchased for 2.0 because I needed something that would actually work for me.

<opinion>: I think anyone purchasing UBB6 should be entitled to a refund if they are not happy with the software.

vB is so much better and robust in nature that the comparison to the competitor is useless. For one, vB works and has not been called gold before it was ready. It was not rushed out the door for companies and individuals to purchase so that Jelsoft would have the Beta Testers they need to help solve their problems. Software that is not ready and tested by "willing" parties should have Alpha or Beta stamped clearly at the bottom. And the latest release of the software considered stable should be the product that the company markets. Secondly, no matter how silly the situation is with your problems with vB, You get respectful answers from vB. Not "Well maybe you could send us your computer." I didn't find this to be the case in the other forums. And it wasn't just towards myself. It was towards many posts I read. I didn't feel that I was treated fairly in their forums after reporting legitimate issues to them. (geezo, that was putting it nicely). And I didn't feel that they should have kept my money when I wrote in to let them know I wouldn't pay for it. Well, I paid them so I could sleep well and keep my business name good with the online community.

Simply put, vB is tons better.

I ended up spending close to around $400.00 to get to this point with my forums. It sure wasn't Jelsoft's problem. And the other expenditure will be written off as a business loss. If a person would want to try a software that has possibilities of being comparable at some time down the road, I would try IkonBoard. I feel that currently UBB needs to be recycled along with their customer support.

If you have the funds to purchase vB, I would highly suggest that you talk to your host about an MySQL and PHP account. It will be worth your time and money.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. I'm sure at least 1 person or company would disagree.

</opinion>

<fact>
                          I'm much happier now.
                          </fact>

Hooper
                          Last edited by Hooper; Tue 8 May '01, 10:12pm.

Comment

Re: UBB vs. Vbulletin

Originally posted by GimmeTech
                            It was not rushed out the door for companies and individuals to purchase so that Jelsoft would have the Beta Testers they need to help solve their problems. Software that is not ready and tested by "willing" parties should have Alpha or Beta stamped clearly at the bottom. And the latest release of the software considered stable should be the product that the company markets.
                            This compared to ubb's updates every week haha. I believe Infopop is very deliberate in the distribution of their code. The following is my opinion ONLY and even though it might be true, Infopoop will never admit it.

Remember last year around the end of February Infopop decided it was ending the ubb lease program for good? Remember how we all had to scramble to upgrade to the full purchased version? In case you don't know, a full license comes with exactly one year's free subscription to upgrades only.

Now, look at the release of UBB 6. It's in the end of March. Do you see how doing so would force everyone who upgraded the year before to have to upgrade again? Very coincidental don't you think?

As with releasing their code and having stupid little updates every 2 days, I believe it's meant to force those with expired licenses to upgrade as often as possible. With every bug fix they catch a few more fish. I mean, if a new security bug is found and fixed in a version that you no longer have access to, would you sit there and figure it out yourself or would you pay $ to upgrade yet again?

Is THIS the kind of company you'd like to deal with? I personally wouldn't touch these bastards again.
                            Last edited by Skeptical; Wed 25 Apr '01, 1:16pm.
                            Well, there it is.
                            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

getting to the core of the programs themselves, if your server is set up improperly, vB can put as terrible a load on it as UBB does.

For a side by side, I ran UBB 5.42c.1.3.4.5.6.2 with less than 1500 members and about 100k posts. It would take up to a full minute to post to a thread.
                              My vB has 6k+ members, ~500k posts and it loads just as fast as it did when I converted from UBB.

With mod_gzip, the bandwidth usage is reduced drastically in vB. I was using ~2Gb/day. I know use less than 1, so there are savings to be had there in the long run, plus it doesn't force to people to reload pages that the server has cached, which you might run into with UBB's method of saving bandwidth.

I realize that I'm not in a position to be objective here, but for my money, I would never touch another infopoop product based not only on their business tactics and poor support from staffers (the members are usually quite helpful), but from a side-by-side feature/server strain/ease of use standpoint as well.
                              Webmaster:
                              @forumz

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X