Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Kier
    By SLR, do you mean digital SLR, or film?
    Which would you prefer for someone starting out...really a beginner. I want to be able to gain the most knowledge with an SLR as possible.

    Comment


    • #47
      From a cost point of view I'd be tempted to say film, but from experience I know that when I started shooting digital my throughput has gone through the ceiling compared from my film days.

      Therefore, I'd recommend digital.

      I'd also recommend starting out with something that has newbie modes as well as full manual control for when you start to want to use it.

      You may as well start with something that will grow with you, so I'd actually go for a discontinued model that is now selling for bargain prices - the Canon EOS 10D, which one can pick these up on eBay for silly money now.

      Pair this up with a lens like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, which is actually Canon's cheapest lens at under $100, but is capable of absolutely stunning pictures beating many far more expensive lenses.

      Start out with the 10D and the 50mm f/1.8 before you get a zoom lens (fixed length lenses are always better quality than zooms, they are much better learning tools than their zoom counterparts and they're fun!)

      With that pair you'll soon discover whether or not you really enjoy SLR photography and if you do, there's no need to throw anything away - my 50mm f/1.8 is still a regular partner for my cameras. The 10D will grow with you, allowing full manual control of every aspect of picture taking, and will accept any lens from Canon's huge EF range.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Kier
        Unless you ever want to do a long exposure, at which time the D70 becomes worse than useless because of the sensor noise. Canon rules for >0.5 second exposures.

        I'm 100% sure you know more about this than I do, so I'll take your word for it.

        Ok, so I saw the list of lens' you have, but which would you recommend with the EOS 20D to take "good" quality pictures, maybe like the ones you posted. I don't plan on doing anything "professional" but would like nice quality pictures.

        Recommendations for the lens?
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Vile
          I'm 100% sure you know more about this than I do, so I'll take your word for it.

          Ok, so I saw the list of lens' you have, but which would you recommend with the EOS 20D to take "good" quality pictures, maybe like the ones you posted. I don't plan on doing anything "professional" but would like nice quality pictures.

          Recommendations for the lens?
          All those wedding shots were taken with my old EOS 300D rather than my new 20D. The new EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) or the discontinued EOS 10D can easily match the quality of those wedding shots. The 10D in particular can be had now for bargain prices.

          As for lenses, start with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - it's Canon's cheapest lens due to the simple optics but it will match the quality of many of the professional 'L' lenses. If you want a good all-purpose zoom without breaking the bank, go for the EF 17-85mm if you get an EOS 300D, 350D or 20D or the EF 28-135mm if you go for a 10D.

          Comment


          • #50
            Thanks for the advice...I guess my last question would be if you think it would be better to go for a 20D or the Digital Rebel XT. Obviously it depends on what it will be used for, but I guess a general purpose, all around good dSLR.
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Kier
              All those wedding shots were taken with my old EOS 300D rather than my new 20D. The new EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) or the discontinued EOS 10D can easily match the quality of those wedding shots. The 10D in particular can be had now for bargain prices.

              As for lenses, start with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - it's Canon's cheapest lens due to the simple optics but it will match the quality of many of the professional 'L' lenses. If you want a good all-purpose zoom without breaking the bank, go for the EF 17-85mm if you get an EOS 300D, 350D or 20D or the EF 28-135mm if you go for a 10D.
              Between the EOS300D and the EOS 20D (or any other Digital Rebel XT), which one did you like better?
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

              Comment


              • #52
                Naturally the 20D, but it's significantly more expensive than the other two.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Kier
                  Naturally the 20D, but it's significantly more expensive than the other two.
                  Ok cool. Price really isn't an issue, so now I'm thinking the EF 17-85mm + 20D

                  Thanks for the advice & tips Kier.
                  Webmaster / Administrator
                  www.MegaGames.com
                  www.MGForums.com

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Vile
                    Ok cool. Price really isn't an issue, so now I'm thinking the EF 17-85mm + 20D

                    Thanks for the advice & tips Kier.
                    If price really isn't an issue then ditch the 17-85mm and go for the 24-70mm f/2.8L instead so that you can take advantage of the cross-type auto-focus point on the 20D, which requires a lens of f/2.8 or better to operate in high accuracy mode.

                    That's a very expensive, heavy lens though.

                    Personally I'd actually recommend the 350D with the 17-85mm.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Ok, I will look into both of those then.

                      Thanks again
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Care to share how much you spent?
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          On what, all my camera equipment?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            On your 20D and all equipment associated with it
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              It's insured to value somewhere over £5000

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Kier
                                It's insured to value somewhere over £5000
                                *GASP!!!* You're kidding!! :|
                                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X