No announcement yet.

Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve, in my opinion, if you are considering those lenses you should be looking at a far lower-spec camera than the D300. f/3.5-5.6 and f/4.5-5.6 are what I would consider very much consumer-grade apertures.

Given your budget, I think you should probably count out the D300 unless you can stretch to some lenses that will do it justice.

Comment

• Check out this review Steve: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm

This was taken with the 18-200 vr and a D300: http://www.yophotographer.com/showthread.php?t=1868

I would prob get the 18-200 VR (costs about 450) and then a 70-200 (costs about 1000) (if I had that much to spend).

If photography is work, or a hobby, ie a long term one, I would personally still get the D300, and instead of buying two lens outright, get one now (18-200?) and another later on (70-200) funds permitting.

I am actually thinking about getting a D300 in the summer as the prices should come down a little then (I pretty much hibernate in the winter anyway!).
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kier View Post
        Steve, in my opinion, if you are considering those lenses you should be looking at a far lower-spec camera than the D300. f/3.5-5.6 and f/4.5-5.6 are what I would consider very much consumer-grade apertures.

Given your budget, I think you should probably count out the D300 unless you can stretch to some lenses that will do it justice.
        Too late.

I drove to the 'big city' on Sunday and go my hands on a D300 at a Best Buy and loved it. It's a great camera and I have checked out all the reviews I could find and have ordered this from Adorama:

Nikon D300
        18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor
        70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens

The reviews on the lenses, particularly the 70-300mm were great. I plan to add a straight 50mm/1.8 later, with possibly a fixed width wide-angle. If and when I get more serious about getting back into photography, I will certainly expand the lens options.

The Canon 40D was very good but not as impressive to me as the D300. And the comparable (as far as I can tell by doing a LOT of research and reading) Canon lenses are simply more expensive than their Nikon counter-parts.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Nice one Steve!

How much did the D300 body cost?
          Last edited by Razasharp; Thu 6th Mar '08, 5:20am.

Comment

• D300 with the 70-300mm lens - $2278.95.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              D300 with the 70-300mm lens - $2278.95.
              Would you still have some change to pass around
              Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Thu 6th Mar '08, 10:42am.

Comment

• Sorry, also got the 18-200mm, some filters, memory cards and a couple of extra batteries. Went over budget in fact. Maybe next time.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• I am glad you found your equipment.

Any recommendations to replace the EOS 400D Kit objective (EF-S 18-55mm)?
                  That's the end of that!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                    I am glad you found your equipment.

Any recommendations to replace the EOS 400D Kit objective (EF-S 18-55mm)?
                    Whats your budget? I think one of the best lenses for the Canon crop dSLRs is the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS. The combination of F/2.8 and IS make this lens one of the most useful I have. Read some of the many reviews online about this lens. If your budget allows for it, I can promise you that you will not regret it.

This shot was taken with my 70-200mm F/2.8L IS, but it goes to show you what a F/2.8 lens and IS can do.

Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• I am not too sure on the budget, I want to spent much but I guess I have to save some money anyway.

Considering that I paid 500 EUR for a new EOS 400D I won't spend 1000 EUR on an objective.

I like my Kit objective (it's ok for what I do) but I'd love to have something that doesn't need bright sunshine.
                      That's the end of that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        D300 with the 70-300mm lens - $2278.95.
                        That's about 120 ($240) less than here :-/

Does it say anything about a worldwide warranty in the box? I just recieved my 55-200 Vr today and that came with a 1yr worldwide Nikon Warranty.

Comment

• The body has a one year warranty, and I purchased and additional 3 years on it for $79. Ten lenses a five year warranty. I avoided the gray market options which were slight cheaper but only had one year.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Ah k.. Nikon are offering a 2yr warranty here right now, but only for offical UK stock.

Anyway, good luck with the camera, hope to see some of your photos!

Comment

• www.dgrin.com is a decent little photography forum. Although it is mainly a SmugMug support site.

But hey, they use vbulletin for forum software..
                              http://www.stlracing.com

Comment

• Steve,
                                Now that you've join the Nikon camp, you might want to check out the Nikonians web site:
                                http://www.nikonians.org/
                                A great community with lots of good info.

Hope that helps...

Regards,
                                Allen

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X