Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrispadfield
    Very nice photos Kier

Are your numbers off, or did you really take 1700 photos?!?!
    Thanks

The numbers are right - I took over 2,500 pictures that day.
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    I like the very simple album how horizontal/vertical are split. Is it dynamic based on image sizes?
    Yes, the little application I wrote builds an XML file that also lists the EXIF orientation field. The main system then reads the XML file like a database and displays the appropriate portrait and landscape shots for that page.
    Originally posted by Vile
    Those pictures are very very nice.

Excellent job Kier, you are indeed a photog
    Thanks, Vile.

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
      Not to get offtopic or anything, but you cannot go wrong with a Nikon D70. It is such a good camera.
      Unless you ever want to do a long exposure, at which time the D70 becomes worse than useless because of the sensor noise. Canon rules for >0.5 second exposures.

Comment

This is another beautiful shot Kier

Which camera/lense combination did you use at the wedding Kier?
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Any recommendations for someone looking to get into Professional Photography Kier?

Looking at your Photos has awoken my love of picture-taking - I've taken some really good shots in the past with my digital camera, but none of them seem to have the crispness of these photos

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
            This is another beautiful shot Kier

Which camera/lense combination did you use at the wedding Kier?
            All those photos were taken with the EOS 300D, using the Speedlite 550EX flash and either the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM or EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM lenses.

Unfortunately, those are extremely expensive lenses (>£900 for the 24-70mm and >£1300 for the 70-200) Even Hong Kong prices are pretty steep for those, which are two of Canon's premier lenses.

Those are still my two favourite lenses, though I use the 580EX flash over the 550EX and the 20D over the 300D now.

Comment

OK... please explain to an ignorant person what makes a person pay >£1300 for part of a camera?
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                OK... please explain to an ignorant person what makes a person pay >£1300 for part of a camera?
                It takes some serious dedication!

Professional photographic equipment has always been very expensive due to the unbelievably tolerances that must be adhered to during manufacture. Some of Canon's big white lenses (the ones you see at sporting events) can cost as much as £10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                  £1300 is nothing if you make thousands of £ for one roll of film - Professional Photographers can earn alot of money, but it's really hard to get photographs to look half as good as the ones Kier has posted - You have to know where to position yourself based on the lighting and the scenery and numerous other variables that will determine whether the shot is even worth taking

I don't pretend to understand even half of what is required, but I know from attempting to take semi-pro pictures that you can waste hours of photo taking just to get one decent one you can be proud of - Once you perfect how you got that decent one you waste less and less time, but on average I'd say Pro's probably only use one out of every 5 or 6 shots they take because although the others are better than what most people would imagine to take, they aren't perfect

Satan

Comment

I do not claim to be a photographer by any means, but one of the secrets I have learned from personal experience is to take as many pictures as possible. When I first started with cameras, I'd always try to setup for a perfect shot with everything aligned. A lot of them came out staged and generic. It was not until I went camera crazy that 30% of my shots turned out nice, while the other 70% turned out garbage. 30 of a 100 pictures is still better than 10 of 10 pictures. Just a bit of advice. The technical aspect of photography will come with practice.
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I'd echo those previous comments - nothing is a quicker route to taking some decent 'keeper' pictures than taking lots.

Don't delete pictures from your media cards unless you are absolutely sure that they are rubbish - wait until you can see them on a bigger screen so you can decide if they need some cropping or exposure fixing etc.

The other thing is to not get hung up on equipment. Don't forget that many of the great photographers of the 20th century were using kit far more basic and lower quality than that which is available today. It's an old adage that a good workman never blames his tools, and it's equally true that piles of expensive camera equipment won't make anyone a photographer.

The most important thing is to learn to see pictures before you lift the camera to your eye (or glance at the LCD screen). Try to anticipate the lighting and the composition in your mind's eye before trying to frame it with the camera and you'll often end up with far better results.

Comment

Kier - Do you think you could split the Camera/Photography related posts into a seperate thread?

It's an interesting discussion and I don't think it's fair to Chris's thread to divulge from dust to lenses

But I agree with your statement about seeing the picture - Thats what I tried to explain in an in-effective way

Satan

Comment

I just wanted to say those are nic pics Kier. I did Wedding Photography for a while aand I know how hard it can be.

FWIW I used a Mamiya C220 Twin Lens Reflex camera (which I still have.) Nothing beats 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 inch negatives for super sharp enlargments.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                            Kier - Do you think you could split the Camera/Photography related posts into a seperate thread?

It's an interesting discussion and I don't think it's fair to Chris's thread to divulge from dust to lenses

But I agree with your statement about seeing the picture - Thats what I tried to explain in an in-effective way

Satan
                            Agreed, I have always had an interest for photography, I tried some testing with a digital camera, but now ready to invest in an SLR, and would really like to get involved with some of the experts here in discussion!

Edit: Thanks for the fast response, moderators (I think it was Steve!)
                            Last edited by someuser190826; Fri 22nd Jul '05, 12:05pm.

Comment

Here is some photography I did with my crappy digital camera, lol. It was automatic settings, not SLR...(kind of ashamed to say I am a photographer).
                              Sorry that I had to watermark and reduce the size of them, I took many of them for some website designs I did, and they paid me to take them -- no matter how crap they are. The DECK and speedometer are from my jeep, the one picture of the person is ME.

Comment

I like the second in-car shot - Looks professionally done

Satan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X