No announcement yet.

Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were you able to get the first two shots of the most recent set, Trent? Would that be possible to accomplish these shots with a Canon Rebel XT?

Comment

• Originally posted by tgillespie View Post
      And some recent shots for those that enjoy this thread for viewing reasons.
      That's one of the reasons I browse this thread.

Thanks for sharing, they look great! I really like the water droplet and the gas station pictures.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radon3k View Post
        How were you able to get the first two shots of the most recent set, Trent? Would that be possible to accomplish these shots with a Canon Rebel XT?
        Most definitely. The shot of the traffic is as simple as finding a place to shoot it from. Find a location that has a decent amount of traffic that allows you to setup a tripod without getting in harms way. You will need a tripod for this type of a shot as you cannot hand hold a long exposure.

Set your camera to Tv mode. Then, using the roller just above your release button, make the shutter speed 30" which equates to thirty seconds. Your camera is going to take a 30" picture, which is why you need the tripod. The result should be streams of light.

After you have this down, I would work on adjusting your ISO as well as your aperture. A higher ISO setting will lighten up your picture, but at the sacrifice of graininess. A wide aperture setting, for example 2.8, 3.5, 4, depending on your lens, will allow your camera to capture more light. This makes shooting pictures at night easier, because of the scarcity of light. A wide aperture makes for a narrow depth of field which means that only certain amount of distance is going to be in focus. A slightly higher aperture in the 7 to 13 range will allow for more of your landscape to be in focus.

To get an idea of aperture, set your camera into Av mode. Using the scroller just above the shutter button, roll it back and forth. Now looking through the front of your lens, press the small black button next to your XT logo near the bottom of your camera. With this held down, roll the scroller back and forth and you will see the aperture change. The larger the hole gets, the more light that is allowed to enter your camera's sensor.

The second picture is rather simple as well. You will need a lot of light, so its best if you have a flash unit or a bunch of desk lamps with bright bulbs. I used a piece of flexible tubing in which I connected to a water faucet. Turning the faucet on very slowly, I managed to get one drip of water every second. I had the drips run through the tubing over the counter and drop onto a simple dinner plate. If you don't have a flash, point as much light as possible onto the dinner plate.

Again, with your camera in Tv mode, set your shutter speed to 1/500. Also set your ISO to 1600 for starters. With your camera in burst mode, just start firing. A lot of shots will have nothing at all, but in my trial, one in every 50 or so pictures produced a water drop explosion. Once you get comfortable with focus, your can increase your shutter speed to freeze the drop even more. The higher the shutter equates to less light, so pictures might start becoming very dark.

Hope that helps. Getting an idea of how the shutter and aperture work hand in hand will help establish the correct exposure for a given circumstance.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• I would strongly advise against taking on a wedding as the primary photographer unless you are 110% sure that:
          • You are technically good enough
          • You are artistically good enough
          • You can essentially take charge of the wedding on the day and manage the guests to ensure that you get the photos you need
          • The clients won't hate you if the end result isn't what they expected
          Personally, I've shot several weddings and been very pleased with the results, as have the people in the photos...

However, I have never and would never dream of putting myself in the position of being the primary photographer at a wedding. There are just too many things that can go wrong, it's too easy to miss critical moments that can never be repeated and the pressure is immense.

A role that a good wedding photographer has to take, which is often overlooked, is that of people manager. At all the weddings I've been to with really good photographers, the lead photographer almost takes over the running of the wedding (especially the reception) without the B&G or the guests really realizing it. It's the only way to get really good posed and candid shots.

So do I think you should do it? No. Not because you're not technically or artistically good enough, but because too many things can go wrong. By all means offer to shoot at their wedding, just not as the primary. I'd also suggest that if you do this and you want to charge them, you charge per image that they want to keep or print, rather than to have you shoot, in that way they won't have spent money if they don't like anything you capture.

As far as lenses go, the standard wedding lens kit for 1.3 to 1.6 crop sensors is as follows:
          • 70-200mm f/2.8
            (candids, flattened perspective poses)
          • 24-70mm f/2.8
            (candids, portraits)
          • 16-35mm f/2.8
            (venues, architecture, group shots)
          • 85mm f/1.8
            (details such as table decorations)
          • 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
            (church architecture, first dance)
          The same collection will serve full frame cameras well, and with the price of the 5D right now, any Canon photographer not already shooting with a 1-series should be looking very seriously at getting a 5D. Clearly it's not a cheap lens collection, with f/2.8 being the smallest aperture, but the flexibility is necessary, and if you show most couples a set of razor sharp pictures shot at f/8 and then another set shot at f/2.8 with dreamy blur behind the subjects, they will almost invariably go with the f/2.8 shots.

When I shoot weddings, I have been known to add my 400mm f/2.8 to the mix, as it's a really nice length to capture the couple's first kiss from the back of the church, but I'm the only person I know who's mad enough to consider bringing such a monster of a lens to a wedding.

Comment

• A lot of things to think about in the next few months. I am leaning more towards not shooting it alone, but shooting along side someone hired. If I shoot it and have a horrible experience, it could destroy a hobby of mine. If I shoot it and do very well, I don't want to fill obligated to jump at every other friend's request. I want to want to take pictures.

On a side note. Messing around with the flash and a sheet of white fabric today, I came up with a few product like shots. Should of opened the lens a bit more or backed off a bit to get a bit more DOF.

Comment

Messing around with the flash and a sheet of white fabric today, I came up with a few product like shots. Should of opened the lens a bit more or backed off a bit to get a bit more DOF.

I did something similar last year with a black sheet, though I used my studio strobes rather than Speedlites (though I still trigger the studio strobes with my 580EX).

I need to do another set of these soon, as I now have a much better black (velvet) backdrop that will appear properly black, and lots more lenses...
              Attached Files

Comment

• How the hell can you guys afford all this goodness, unless it's your job too..

Comment

And some recent shots for those that enjoy this thread for viewing reasons.

Originally posted by tgillespie View Post

I rather like that shot. Any PP?
                  [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Originally posted by Kier View Post
                    I did something similar last year with a black sheet, though I used my studio strobes rather than Speedlites (though I still trigger the studio strobes with my 580EX).

I need to do another set of these soon, as I now have a much better black (velvet) backdrop that will appear properly black, and lots more lenses...
                    Awesome light setup and nice collection of red rings as well. I was looking for a black material that gave a nice black too, but have not found anything reasonably priced yet. A fabric store had a 80% polyester 20% cotton mix, but it was $30 a yard. Just a bit to pricey. Awesome usage of the fisheye on your last shot.

Originally posted by Floris
                    How the hell can you guys afford all this goodness, unless it's your job too..
                    While Kier has quite a bit more equipment than I do, I look at it as an investment. Until I am to old to press a shutter release, I'll most likely want to take pictures of my life and family. I would rather take the time and money to put forth the effort in hanging my pictures on the wall instead of crammed inside of a photo album. Its a hobby of mine, and I am sure Kier's as well.

Originally posted by KW802
                    I rather like that shot. Any PP?
                    Quite a bit to be honest. The original picture had a huge nasty McDonalds sign on that building in the back. I had to remove that to keep distractions down. To achieve the visual affect, I applied a gradient mask from the top and the bottom and then did a heavy lens blur. The car in the picture was the gas station attendants car, so I printed a copy and returned it to her that night.

Comment

• That looks more like a toy car and a toy scene. But i LOVE it!
                      That's the end of that!

Comment

• This has to be one of my favorite photos. This shot was right before she headed off to take her NCLEX exam, which if she passes, will give her the title of registered nurse. She has worked very hard for the last four years to achieve this. I made her do some serious faces as well, but after reviewing the shots, the smile worked better as both her and I are very excited.

Comment

Quite a bit to be honest. The original picture had a huge nasty McDonalds sign on that building in the back. I had to remove that to keep distractions down. To achieve the visual affect, I applied a gradient mask from the top and the bottom and then did a heavy lens blur. The car in the picture was the gas station attendants car, so I printed a copy and returned it to her that night.
                          I was wondering if you had used the blur trick or not to give it that 'model' look; I've seen a few other photos using the same trick but all of them tended to go overboard whereas I think that B&W single car photo uses it very nicely. ... and I never would've guessed that you removed a fast food sign from the pic.

Nice work indeed.
                          [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• I'm not completely happy with the quality of the photos with my Cannon Rebel XT and am looking to upgrade. What do people think of this:

Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                              I'm not completely happy with the quality of the photos with my Cannon Rebel XT and am looking to upgrade. What do people think of this:

Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
                              Yaa my Canon Powershot S50 isnt always the best at times.
                              I might look into a Nikon to be my next Camera...
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                                I'm not completely happy with the quality of the photos with my Cannon Rebel XT and am looking to upgrade.
                                The Canon EOS 450D (don't know what it is called in the states) has some nice specs and the price should be in a EOS 400D (or EOS Digital Rebel XTi - I own one) price range pretty soon.

I think it's this one but I don't know for sure since they give their cameras different names in Germany: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=16303
                                That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X