No announcement yet.

Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was all set on the 400d and then comes along the K10D from Pentax. Photos are yet to be seen, but the specs for the price are incredible. I hope Canon can respond, don't want to sell my Canon lenses ....
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• The K10D really doesn't look all that impressive compared with the 400D IMHO - the only real steps up are the weather sealing (overrated - most DSLRs can take a reasonable rainfall without falling over) and the in-body stabilizer, which does nothing to excite me, as moving the stabilizer to the body instead of the lens means that you don't see the effect of the stabilizer through the viewfinder, so how can you ever tell if the shot will be effective or not?

Comment

• Kier (or anyone else that knows), can you explain to me why the "L" series of lenses are so good? I find these lenses getting great reviews, but what about them makes them so good compared to the normal ones? Is it that the quality of the physical lens itself is better? (Right now my main lens' are the Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, which I got based off of good reviews/recommendations)

Thanks.
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Yes it is better quality in build and materials.

But there are also supurb non-L lenses. For example the 85 f/1.8 has supurb image quality but is not an L like the 85 /1.2L.
          Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• To quote Canon:
            Originally posted by Canon EOS Magazine, October-December 2006
            So what makes the L series lenses so special? Put simply they have the best optics currently available. Canon uses three technologies in its L series lenses to produce the sharpest, clearest pictures - Fluorite elements, aspherical lens elements and UD optical glass elements. To make sure you can easily identify these luxury lenses, Canon marks them with a red ring around the lens barrel. If it doesn't have this red ring, it's not part of the L series lens range.
            They then go on to say
            Should I buy an L lens?
            In our opinion, to justify spending top money on L series lenses, you should be able to answer yes to at least one of the following statements:
            • I often print my images larger than A4. If you print your images at less than A4 size it is very unlikely you will ever notice the difference in results between an L series lens and a non-L series lens.
            • I have to shoot hand-held in low light. The wider maximum apertures of the L series lenses allow faster shutter speeds in low light levels, helping you get a shot when otherwise it might be impossible.
            • I shoot sports where I can't get close. If you need a super telephoto lens you have little choice. All new lenses in this range are L series. (Not strictly true - the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM is a super telephoto lens and does not carry the L designation due to its use of diffractive optics - Kier)
            • I shoot wildlife where the animals are far away. As with sport, if you need a long telephoto lens to allow you to get closer to a timid creature, or you want to photograph a dangerous creature and keep your distance, the L series telephoto lenses are the only answer. (See note about about the 400mm DO - Kier)
            • I am a professional photographer. If you put your kit through a gruelling time, day after day, and don't want it to fail, the extra durability of the L series lenses will repay the investment in the long term.
            Hope that helps

Comment

• Originally posted by Kier View Post
              To quote Canon:

They then go on to say

Hope that helps

It does, thanks much!
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Could you guys recommend a digital slr camera top3 for around 500$ and a top3 for $1000

I have NO idea what to get, and might want to start saving up for one good digital camera that helps me take pictures during vacation, events and for the web. I like to zoom in on things and try out weird angles, so I guess macro or good optical zoom is on the wishlist.

If I'd get the canon 40d, will i play it safe?

Comment

• Camera:
                    Canon EOS 400D
                  • Standard Zoom Lens:
                    Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
                  • Telephoto Zoom Lens:
                    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
                  • Decent Flash:
                    Canon Speedlite 430EX
                  • Macro Lens:
                    Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Comment

• Additional lenses have to come at a later stage .. won't hurt to learn how to actually use the built in stuff first.
                    755 euro, right in the middle of 500 and 1000 .. worth the consideration: http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl/?pid=27803

I also found a shop that gets good enough reviews for 720 euro: http://www.cameranu.nl/artikelen/26/118/4372/ but they mention 400D+18+25 international model. These are those little differences that matter, or is that just bull what they're selling?

Comment

• Hehe Kier I think that setup cost a wee bit more than $1000

Personally I did not like the results I got from the 70-300 IS I have had. I replaced it with 70-200 f/4 L (which more expensive yes).

Floris, when you shop around on the web for the best deal then do yourself a favor and check the shop at www.resellerratings and remember if it sounds to good to be true it often is.
                      Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• With these Dutch stores I will never pay upfront. I will order it and pick it up in the store. I will just unpack it and check for type numbers, etc .. turn it on and take pictures and test it and plug it in the powerbook. If there's something wrong I will find out in the store directly.

Comment

• Kier, what's the difference between the two lenses? Besides a 500 euro price difference. Is the quality difference worth the 500?

body + 18-55 == € 719
                          body + 17-88 == € 1239

note; these are prices from a good-review camera online shop site where they say it is in stock and you can order and pick up in store, and pay when picking up. Other shops in my town and online where I usually buy they ask 2000 or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Floris View Post
                            Kier, what's the difference between the two lenses? Besides a 500 euro price difference. Is the quality difference worth the 500?

body + 18-55 == € 719
                            body + 17-88 == € 1239

note; these are prices from a good-review camera online shop site where they say it is in stock and you can order and pick up in store, and pay when picking up. Other shops in my town and online where I usually buy they ask 2000 or more.
                            The 17-88 have IS - Image Stabilizer which means you will be able to get shots at lower shutterspeeds. If it is 500 euro worth depends how much you plan to shoot in low light. I don't have experience with 17-88 but I had 2 copies of the kit lens 18-55 and both were really bad. Though some people do get good results from it.

You can get much more information here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php including user experience. And sample photos here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=144177
                            Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• Floris, they have a test of SLR's in the latest PCM (Dutch Computer Magazine), might have some interesting reading.
                              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Floris View Post
                                Kier, what's the difference between the two lenses? Besides a 500 euro price difference. Is the quality difference worth the 500?

body + 18-55 == € 719
                                body + 17-88 == € 1239

For around $100 it isnt a bad lense, but you will most likely get tired of it and want something like the 17-88mm lense to general purpose shoot with. I tried out the 18-55mm and wasn't extremely satisfied, but after realizing how low the price tag was, I gained a bit of respect. For basic shots I use the 17-88mm now and wouldnt think about attaching the 18-55mm unless I was in a hail storm.
                                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X