Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrispadfield View Post
    This is my wishlist if I do go the 30D route. It all changes a bit if I go the 5D route.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/3CERNQOJIB70C

That would add to the things I already have that I would keep:

Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM
    Sigma (Macro) 150 2.8
    Surely there's no need to keep the 70-300mm if you get the 100-400mm?

If you were to go the 5D route I'd go for the 17-40mm f/4L, the 24-105mm f/4L and the 100-400mm, along with the 50mm f/1.8.

Also be careful with those teleconverters - I don't think the 100-400mm can actually physically fit them, and none of the other lenses on your list can either. If you go for non-Canon TCs you get a bit more flexibility (you can use them on any lens) at the price of a bit of image quality. The 2x TC loses you two stops of light, so the lens you attach it to must be f/2.8 or brighter to maintain autofocus (all Canon cameras except the EOS 1 series can only autofocus with lenses of f/5.6 or brighter) while the 1.4x TC loses one stop, so your lens must be f/4 or brighter to maintain AF.

Comment

• The 100-400 is the last thing to get on the list, along with the tele converters for it. I believe both the converters fit the 100-400 but you loose autofocus with the 2x one (hence having the 1.4 one as well). I had hoped the 1.4x one would fit the 70-300 but I will have to check that.

On the 5D lens, those sound like perfect options - I wonder if I would need the 24-105mm to start with given the range the others would cover.

I am really stuck in my mind between the 30D and 5D. I don't have to make a decision quite yet, the sensible buying times for me are either December or May so I might wait and see. The 3fps on the 5D is a bit disappointing as I will definitely want to do some sport photography and this is one of the things that has particularly annoyed me about the 300D. At the same time I love taking wide angled landscape shots for which a full frame sensor would be brilliant. If it wastn't for the 10-22 lens I would almost certainly go for the 5D but with that lens existing, the 3fps and the price difference (and a bit more weight and no inbuilt flash) its hard.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

The 100-400 is the last thing to get on the list, along with the tele converters for it. I believe both the converters fit the 100-400 but you loose autofocus with the 2x one (hence having the 1.4 one as well). I had hoped the 1.4x one would fit the 70-300 but I will have to check that.

On the 5D lens, those sound like perfect options - I wonder if I would need the 24-105mm to start with given the range the others would cover.

I am really stuck in my mind between the 30D and 5D. I don't have to make a decision quite yet, the sensible buying times for me are either December or May so I might wait and see. The 3fps on the 5D is a bit disappointing as I will definitely want to do some sport photography and this is one of the things that has particularly annoyed me about the 300D. At the same time I love taking wide angled landscape shots for which a full frame sensor would be brilliant. If it wastn't for the 10-22 lens I would almost certainly go for the 5D but with that lens existing, the 3fps and the price difference (and a bit more weight and no inbuilt flash) its hard.
        That really is a difficult decision, especially as the 10-22mm is SO good, and yet the viewfinder on the 5D is SO big and bright...

If you are after wide landscape shots then surprisingly the 30D will go wider for less money. The widest (decent) zoom you could put on the 5D would be the 16-35mm f/2.8L, which is a thousand pound lens. On the other hand, the 30D will accept the 10-22mm, which on a 1.6 crop camera equates to... 16-35mm! The 10-22mm is arguably better optically than the 16-35mm too.

3fps on the 5D is indeed disappointing, but then again the 1Ds Mark II only does 4fps - both of them are basically studio cameras, hence the large resolution and no convenient pop-up flash, whereas the 30D and 1D Mark II N are both general purpose sports/photojournalism bodies.

I can't decide for you, and there are good arguments for going with either one so I can't really recommend one over the other either, suffice to say that even the 350D is a huge upgrade over the 300D and you'll be astonished at how much faster and responsive any of the newer Canon range are compared to what you have now. Find yourself a decent camera shop on the high street and have a play. Jessops on Queen Victoria Street in Reading currently have both in stock with all the lenses we've talked about and they'll happilly let you have a fiddle to get the feel for each one if you go in at a not-too-busy time... you could even pick me up on the way through and we could finally meet!

Comment

• Oh, and with the 100-400mm you'd lose AF with either of the teleconverters unless you got a 1D, which would AF with the 1.4x.

Comment

• Thanks for those thoughts Kier. I think I am verging towards the 30D really, I see some benefits to the 5D but given that there are also downsides I think the price difference really just decides it.

The question is really whether there are going to be any changes to the 30D before next May. My guess is the expected August announcement is an upgrade to the 350D (which may affect the 30D price) but I wonder if the 30D upgrade will be announced at PMA in March 2007. Its May/June when I am really going to want the new camera so I could wait. I know that would only be a year (or less) but given the 30D was really a software upgrade with a few minor physical changes maybe another release is in the cards. Nikon are also bitting at Canon's heals for the first time in the SLR market. I assume the 30D is a first purchase for a lot of people so they can't rest on their lens committment like they can with the top end cameras.

Thing is, wait for what. I am not entirley sure what they can do to hugely improve the 30D. The thing I most want is a "gimmick", GPS integration. A 10MP sensor istn't going to be a huge improvement .... I don't know ....
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• That's a shame on the AF .....
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

The question is really whether there are going to be any changes to the 30D before next May.
                I would be very surprised if Canon announce a 30D successor at PMA next year - that would give the 30D a life of just a year, which doesn't follow the apparent development timescale for the double-digit-D series - it seems that the double-digit cameras have a development cycle of around a year and a half based on the announcements of the 10D, 20D and 30D, so I wouldn't expect to see a '40D' until August 2007.
                Originally posted by chrispadfield View Post
                My guess is the expected August announcement is an upgrade to the 350D (which may affect the 30D price) but I wonder if the 30D upgrade will be announced at PMA in March 2007.
                The 350D is certainly old enough (18 months-ish) for a replacement but one has to ask, replacement with what? Canon can't improve the build quality without increasing the price of the triple-digit-D body, and I suspect that they will want to avoid that at all costs. In terms of functionality there's not an awful lot more that one would want to add to the triple-digits that isn't already there. The only things I can think of that could realistically be added to the xxxD would be an increased frame rate and a 10MP sensor... but I'd be astonished if Canon did that at this stage, given that the 30D still has 'only' an 8MP sensor and how would it look if the 'toy' camera had a more technologically advanced sensor than the prosumer body that costs twice as much?

The camera that is really due for an upgrade is the 1Ds Mark II. It's been a full two years since it was announced and while it has no direct competitor, the 16.7MP sensor no longer offers the digital-medium-format-killing resolution it did back when it was new. A lot of people are expecting a 22MP 1Ds replacement, possibly even the legendary 'merged' 1D that will be both extremely high resolution (1Ds) and extremely high speed (1D). The 'legend' teaser that has been seen would seem to indicate a major announcement such as this.

However, the 'legend' may also imply an entire new line, perhaps a very inexpensive DSLR - a quadruple-digit-D that would compete with (or more likely, totally annihilate) the Nikon D50.

Another theory is that Canon may be looking at applying their know-how to a professional series other than EOS. Perhaps they will look at producing a very very high resolution medium format system... personally I don't think this is likely, but there you go.
                Originally posted by chrispadfield View Post
                Thing is, wait for what. I am not entirley sure what they can do to hugely improve the 30D. The thing I most want is a "gimmick", GPS integration. A 10MP sensor istn't going to be a huge improvement .... I don't know ....
                There are plenty of things that could be improved on the 30D, such as in-camera image stabilisation, an anti sensor dust system such as the vibration system found in the new Sony DSLR, weather sealing, higher viewfinder magnification, a better battery grip than the (relatively speaking) horrible BG-E2...

Comment

• That all makes sense. I guess the thought on an upgrade to the 30D is that the 20D -> 30D is the smallest upgrade every made to a digital SLR camera by Canon so a 1 year life cycle for it might be considered acceptable. Maybe not though.

On the upgrade to the 30D, I doubt they are going to do in camera IS, they seem keen on putting this in the lens (nice way of charging for the tech multiple times!) but the rest certainly sounds sensible. It also seems to me the sort of changes that *could* happen in a year in that it wouldn't fundamentally change the nature of the camera.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• Inspired by Kier's shading techniques.

Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Very nice, Trent. The first picture with the water pipe is excellent.

Comment

• I just recently got a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm Nikkor Lens
                        I LOVE it such a great digital SLR cam

here's a few pics

Car Chops & Discussion
                        NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

Comment

• Very nice blind!

Comment

• thanks alot!
                            Car Chops & Discussion
                            NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

Comment

• For those who wanted to see a pic taken with the 400mm f/2.8...

This was taken last night with the 400mm f/2.8L lens plus a 1.4x teleconverter and a 2.0x teleconverter stacked, to make an effective 1120mm f/8 lens:

Click for full size image

I like this lens quite a lot...

Comment

• Nice pic! How long was the exposure to take that?

Wow, I didn't realise you could stack the extenders. Can you do that on the 1200mm!
                                Christopher Padfield
                                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X