No announcement yet.

Digital Photography Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's from the Sigma 150 2.8 your friend recommended.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Most impressive

Sigma 150mm? I thought he recommended the Sigma 105mm?

[Edit]Well the EXIF says 150mm so I guess I was wrong!

Comment

• Hey Kier,

I think your last post has me now back on the Nikon/Canon seesaw and because of your knowledge and worthy opinion, I am now leaning back in the Canon camp.

In your opinion, do you feel Canon's 17-85mm IS lens is a good 'all-purpose' general zoom lens? Do you think if I had this on in the majority of situation like most 'normal' people do, that this focal range would cover me well? I know it ain't no telephoto and of course no matter what I would buy Canon's 60mm Macro USM lens... what do you think? Perhaps on the occassion of a big event where I would want a nice super telephoto (300mm+) I could rent it... or save money later for a real nice tele from canon.

I have been looking all around the internet trying to compare pictures people have taken with the D200 compared to the 30D and to be quite honest, I have seen some beautiful pictures with the 30D, some beautiful pics with the D200, but I have also seen some grainy and rather 'cool' colored pics with the D200 that Canon seems to handle better with a nicer warm photo. I'm sooooo confused... you're a canon man and have made some provided me with some very good reasons to go canon. But I've always been one of those people that say to themselves.. (then why is the Nikon more expensive... doesn't that make it better???) I know that is a stupid question, cause it is proven wrong in all industries... but that is my only hangup with the canon as a completely green buyer.

Comment

• Put it like this - if you want grain in your pictures it's very easy to add it in Photoshop to a clean image. On the other hand, it's almost impossible to remove grain from a noisy image and retain sharpness and detail. As far as I'm concerned this is a huge plus for Canon's sensor technology. Don't pay too much attention to warm and cool images - this is almost entirely the result of post-processing of the RAW image files produced by the cameras. If you process the image with the white balance off they will appear to be warm or cool rather than the original colours.

Regarding the EF-S 17-85mm, it's the lens that I recommend to anyone going for a new Canon 350D or 30D on a budget. It's a very good lens for the money and it has a very useful focal range. Following on from that lens I'd recommend the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM as another extremely good performer for a reasonable financial outlay.

My personal lens collection is as follows - these being the ones I use on a regular basis, not my entire collection:
          Fisheye: EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
          Wide Angle Zoom: EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
          Standard Zoom: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
          Telephoto Zoom: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
          Super Telephoto: EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (with EF 2x and EF 1.4x teleconverters)
          Extreme Low Light: EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
          Those lenses represent a rather huge investment, but when I started out I had just the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. The beauty of having a number of lenses that do a smaller range really well is that you don't have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, and I've gradually replaced my cheaper lenses with more expensive, faster ones as time has progressed.

Regarding why the D200 is more expensive than the 30D there are a number of reasons.

Firstly, the D200 has rudimentary weather sealing, meaning that you can take it out in moderate rain and not worry about the camera being infiltrated by water... at least, that's the claim, but only a tiny number of Nikkor lenses are sealed so water can still get into the camera through the lens and the lens mount...

Secondly, Canon sells a phenomenal amount of cameras compared to Nikon so they can afford to sell their kit for a bit less. If only they would pass some of the savings onto the 1D series...

Thirdly, Nikon use a lot of third party components in their cameras, most notably the CCD sensor, which they have to buy from Sony. The D200 sensor is essentially the same as the sensor in the new Sony Alpha DSLR so Sony sell the chips to Nikon at a premium to boost sales of their own camera. Canon on the other hand research, develop and manufacture almost every part of their cameras, including the CMOS sensors and hence they are able to manipulate the price of their gear with far more freedom than Nikon.

Comment

• Just to demonstrate the difference the white balance correction can make to the same picture, here is an example of an image of mine with (from left to right)
            1. White balance too cold
            2. White balance set correctly
            3. White balance too hot
            4. Greyscale rendition with orange filter

Remember that all four of these images came from the same original file... all I'm trying to do here is demonstrate that hot and cold images do not reflect the quality of the camera being used.

By the way, this image was taken this past weekend with my 20D and the EF 50mm f/1.4.

Comment

• Nice ****! nice photo!

Comment

• Here are some pictures some of you might appreciate.
                http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/cambridge-gallery.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                  Nice ****! nice photo!
                  Nice what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kier View Post
                    Nice what?
                    I wrote your name but it * it out. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                      I wrote your name but it * it out. Why?
                      Aah, that's because I censored the incorrect spelling of my name via the Admin CP when it ****** me off too much

Comment

• On the subject of colour and white balance... of course there are some occasions when it's irrelevant and a greyscale or toned greyscale version creates a better picture...

Comment

Aah, that's because I censored the incorrect spelling of my name via the Admin CP when it ****** me off too much
                          haha

Comment

• Hint - spell my name right damnit!

Comment

Hint - spell my name right damnit!
                              It's funny you should say it atually, I allways thought your name had a 'e' before the 'i'

Kier.

Comment

To get a shot like the bat pictures in my gallery you'll need extremely fast auto-focus tracking and the ability to shoot in relatively low light - both of these call for Canon. There's a reason why just about all the big lenses you see at the sports fixtures are white (Canon) and not black (Nikon and the rest).
                                To illustrate that point, a few pictures from the 2004 Olympic games and the 2006 FIFA World Cup...
                                Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X