X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockergrrl
    replied

Meeeee toooo!

I'm patiently waiting for him to email or call me back. Kinda...

Soon, hopefully...

Although, I did meet with someone here locally (he's actually from California, but he was on vacation here in Florida - and has family here in Sarasota), for breakfast with a Sarasota-based partner of his. He actually contacted me a couple weeks ago regarding me to do remote work for him. He owns a ISP in CA, and he recently bought out a hosting company, and was looking for help to move accounts from the old servers to new servers. Essentially, I would one of the main support/sys admin person for the company. It pays $10/hr, but I can work when I pretty much want (hour here, hour there, couple here, couple there). We'll see where that leads as well (I did tell him about Google, though, he was actually impressed ).

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Me too! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Good luck.. I hope it comes through for you.

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    Yeah, they probably would, if they wanted me bad enough. Heck, even my husband's work paid for his transfer down here to Florida from Michigan (and it was us wanting to transfer, not they wanting him first). Actually, they reimbursed us for the truck rental/gas, etc.

I still haven't heard back from them - probably most likely on Monday (I caught him when he was packing up a house in Oregan to move to CA - he was a bit busy when I called him the first time on his cell line).

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Most likely they will help you move if needed. Most companies seeking good talent will.

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I'll see what I can negociate with them when I hear back from them (still haven't yet - probably still going through the positions that are open).

Wonder if they would pay for the relocation (I know we probably couldn't afford to move otherwise). *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by rockergrrl
    I told him I wasn't entirely sure about salary requirements - it would depend on where the position was located, and what exactly it was. Itold him for sure, over $30,000/year (that's a good number, right?).
    You probably just undersold yourself. Depends on the job but that isn't going to allow a decent life where Google is located. If you don't have to relocate it might be better.

At $50K/year you will be able to rent a nice apartment or maybe if you find a good deal buy a small house. Though that is with up to 60% of your income going to housing. If you have the experience then you will most likely want to negotiate 60-75K a year for starters. That is the salary at which you can actually enjoy living in California.

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    The odd thing about that is that that's just odd

Great Plan Steve Shame it backfired

Satan

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    Originally posted by hellsatan
    Arunan - You cannot make your own children work for you
    Well darnit! That's the reason why I had kids j/k

Well I do have my boys down the path of IT'dom (they're both computer geeks).

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by hellsatan
    Tell me about it! I once had this great idea - make lots of babies I so I could get free labor.

Boy did that backfire!

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    Originally posted by Arunan
    I hope to establish my own business on such levels some day. Where all employees will be cared and loved, and will be happy to work for me at a more efficient rate.

Satan

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    Yeah, unfortunately, the cost of living is a bit higher (and also taxes are higher as well).

They even have even on-site doctors and a dentist. Even free lunch, and all you can eat breakfast. That sure saves a lot of money A gym and massage therapists...

Its crazy! But I'm sure they don't lose a lot of employees that leave on a bad note (because of not being cared about, etc) -- like what happens to a lot of employees at big corporations.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by rockergrrl
    That's over $60k *faints*

I could live with that
    Cost of living and generally everything else here is a lot higher though. It soons equals itself out

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    LOL

Right now, I wish I would've bought Google stock when they went public. I would've made around $200/share by now if I sold (that's a nice profit).

Google, IMHO, is a great company to work for. They care about their employees - it shows in everything they offer for everyone working for them. A cared for employee, is a happy employee -- they'll say for the long haul (I know I would).

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    I wish you the best of luck rockergrrl! I hope you get the job and end up being a part of Google's legacy to own everything

MGM out

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X