No announcement yet.

Working for Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget to put in a good word for me sweetheart Let the sucking up begin...
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
      Don't forget to put in a good word for me sweetheart Let the sucking up begin...
      And me! *Sends rockergrrl flowers and candy* You're basically a celebrity now, get used to it

MGM out

Comment

Put in a good word for me as well

Either that or slate everyone else so much I look the best

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by rockergrrl
          Tonya,

I was going through Dice and found your resume. I wanted to know if you we're still looking and if you would be open to exploring opportunities here at Google? Please give me a call or shoot me an e-mail to discuss. Have a great day!
          If that person really wrote "if you we're", I'd have my doubts if that is really Google who is knocking on my door.

Comment

Yes - Their lack of basic spelling worries me somewhat

Satan

Comment

Its an easy mistake - could've been typing fast - I've done it before (I'm sure others here have typed too fast and made a mistake)..

It was actually an email originating from Google (checked the header), and I called his office number, and its a number belonging to Google.

I don't have any doubts.

He said he would call me back this afternoon.

Comment

By the way - we want a reference to vBulletin in the google blog if you make it
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I hear it's extremely difficult to get into Google.

I saw a special on TV, and one guy applied at Google, and he was asked to come back for an interview before he got the job...He had to go through 14 interviews before he got the job.

They weed out all the "bad" people, and stick to the best of the best.

I told him I wasn't entirely sure about salary requirements - it would depend on where the position was located, and what exactly it was. Itold him for sure, over $30,000/year (that's a good number, right?).
                  30k US is probably just about minimum wage in the UK
                  http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Well less than $12k/year is the average minimum wage here in the states unfortunately. Even with 2 ppl working minimum wage, its hard to make ends meet.

I'm not going for CTO - I would just like to not have to worry about having enough money for diapers. lol

There are TONS of positions that are available.

I hope I wouldn't have to come out to meet them -- even the closest office in Atlanta, is a good 8 hour drive away (on a good day). Even worse, going out to California for an interview, unless it was on their own expense... otherwise, I couldn't do it. I'm not made out of money (maybe someday that will come).

If I get the position, I'll put in good words for everyone If you get the job, and stay for over 60 days, I'd get a $2000 referral bonus LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rockergrrl
                      I'm not going for CTO - I would just like to not have to worry about having enough money for diapers.
                      Go for the gusto! What's the worst that would happen? They say no?
                      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

LOL

My luck, they'd say no anyways

After being dumped (they decided to hire someone else - even though they offered me a job) from a possible $50k/year job in January/February of this year, I don't keep my hopes high anymore when it comes to getting a decent job. One of those things, I guess...

Comment

$12,000 USD is £6,906.19 GBP per year...

That is well below the Minimum wage...

$30,000 USD is £17,267.63 GBP per year...

You would want to be earning about £22,000 to £30,000 a year here if you worked for Google, and upwards of £40,000 if you were in a high-powered job...

So £22,000, assuming thats the base rate you'd want, is:
                          $38,215.56

So ask for a $40,000 a year job and you'll be earning about £22,900 / £23,000 a year in British currency terms, which is an OK wage

Satan

Comment

Arunan - No they didn't say now (haven't heard from them yet after sending him my resume to look over - to figure out what a good position would be). I meant, being my luck (with nice paying jobs in the past), they would say no to hiring me.

HellSatan - Thanks for the tips

Right now, my dear family of 4 is surviving off of less than $24k/year (£13,815/year). I'm tired not having money when we need it (although, tax refund check time is a great time for us here - nothing like a $7k check).

It would be nice having 100% of insurance premiums paid for (Google pays 100%). And finally getting to see a doctor when I need it... instead of when we have money to pay for it.

*sigh*
                            /me starts to daydream

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                              $12,000 USD is £6,906.19 GBP per year...

That is well below the Minimum wage...

$30,000 USD is £17,267.63 GBP per year...

You would want to be earning about £22,000 to £30,000 a year here if you worked for Google, and upwards of £40,000 if you were in a high-powered job...

So £22,000, assuming thats the base rate you'd want, is:
                              $38,215.56

So ask for a $40,000 a year job and you'll be earning about £22,900 / £23,000 a year in British currency terms, which is an OK wage

Satan

With respect junior sys admins in London would earn 35k+ UKP , I know I did when I was younger
                              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

That's over $60k *faints*

I could live with that

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X