X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boardreader.com

<rant>

I asked this gentleman a few times (including on this very site) to please respect my robots.txt file and keep his unoptimized spider out of my forums.

My current server is on its last legs and held together with bubble gum and a prayer getting ready for a server move.

Well, I checked my logs and low and behold, he is at it again. This is the last 3 days worth:

BoardReader 256.85 MB

</rant>

For some of you, this may be an opportunity to get your site listed somewhere new, so you may want to check it out. I have no problem with the service, I just mean 'no' when I say 'no'.

Is anyone familiar with this bot that can tell me if I have been given incorrect information as to how to block it?

I currently have:
    User-agent: BoardReader
    Disallow: /
    ???
    L'chaim

The best way is to find the address of the owner, and break his legs with a heavy object, something in the baseball/cricket bat variety

Failing that, appeal to the owner as a human being

Satan

Comment

Yeah, I just sent him the 6th email in 4 years. Normally I don't remember these things, but this has been a problem for a while. Only spider I have ever had trouble with.

I hope he responds. If not, I will block the IP and domain and anything else I can think of.

Edit to add -- what are you doing up at this hour!?
      L'chaim

Comment

Good example of bad business ethics.

Christine, don't waste your time, block the site, ip, and anything else you can think of :P.
        Or put in a conditional to detect when that robot comes by and stick it in a loop of some kind :P Or just forward him away or show blank page.
        Originally posted by Christine
        <rant>

I asked this gentleman a few times (including on this very site) to please respect my robots.txt file and keep his unoptimized spider out of my forums.

My current server is on its last legs and held together with bubble gum and a prayer getting ready for a server move.

Well, I checked my logs and low and behold, he is at it again. This is the last 3 days worth:

BoardReader 256.85 MB

</rant>

For some of you, this may be an opportunity to get your site listed somewhere new, so you may want to check it out. I have no problem with the service, I just mean 'no' when I say 'no'.

Is anyone familiar with this bot that can tell me if I have been given incorrect information as to how to block it?

I currently have:

???

Comment

Yeah, I just sent him the 6th email in 4 years. Normally I don't remember these things, but this has been a problem for a while. Only spider I have ever had trouble with.

I hope he responds. If not, I will block the IP and domain and anything else I can think of.

Edit to add -- what are you doing up at this hour!?
          I do not require sleep to function

*snore*

Satan

Comment

Block the bot via iptables
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
              I do not require sleep to function

*snore*

Satan
              I think we should block the hellsatan bot from vb.com too, or else he may take over

MGM out

Comment

If you did that, who would provide you with pointless comments and sarcasm?

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                  If you did that, who would provide you with pointless comments and sarcasm?

Satan
                  Floris

MGM out

Comment

Ah but he only does that as a part-time job

I am the only full-timer here

Satan

Comment

It would be funny if you can send his own bots back at him...
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Try this .htaccess:

Code:
                        RewriteEngine On
                        RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (BoardReader|boardreader) [NC]
                        RewriteRule ^.* http://www.boardreader.com/%1 [R=permanent,L]
                        That's the end of that!

Comment

MrNace -- that is beautiful.

Dean -- could that also be added to hosts.deny in a firewall rather than modifying the IPTables? I didn't even think to try that.

Scott wrote me back and said they will quit indexing ASAP. Will repeat what I told him and that is that his service is a valuable tool for board owners who wish to submit and be indexed, but should respect those who don't.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on this. I can't wait to get the new server up so that I don't have to watch every little server tick like a coon dog.
                          L'chaim

Comment

MrNace -- that is beautiful.

Dean -- could that also be added to hosts.deny in a firewall rather than modifying the IPTables? I didn't even think to try that.

Scott wrote me back and said they will quit indexing ASAP. Will repeat what I told him and that is that his service is a valuable tool for board owners who wish to submit and be indexed, but should respect those who don't.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on this. I can't wait to get the new server up so that I don't have to watch every little server tick like a coon dog.
                            Does my piece of code work?
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

Well, in a day or two I will know.

Added a few others in there as well with some creative routings. Heh.

Ps -- the devs at work were rolling when I showed 'em this today. They only get to play with ISAPI. LOL!
                              L'chaim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X