Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do about 1 dead pixel in a new LCD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do about 1 dead pixel in a new LCD?

I got a new 19" Samsung LCD monitor (1280x1024 @ 75 Hz, 8ms response), and I noticed that at the top near the middle there's a single dead pixel. What should I do about this--ignore it or send it back? What would you all do?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

I think samsung has a 0 dead pixel policy (last I checked, most had a 15 or maybe 19 dead pixel policy).

Depending on how annoying it is, I'd change it out.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I guess it doesn't matter; for 19" monitors their policy is 10 or more pixels. Oh well. In most cases I don't notice it anyway, luckily.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/...28&PROD_ID=133

I love how it says "How helful was this article to you?" at the bottom.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

if u bought it from best buy or someplace like that u should be able to exchange it... I would... one pixel can lead to another...
        http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

LCD Manufacturers usually follow if you have more than 10 dead pixels rules only around the edges of the screen. When it comes to the center of the screen, just usually 3-4 is all you need before you qualify to sent it back.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Of course, you may not have known about the dead pixel if the monitor met with some unforseen factory defect *cough*
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

The other alternative is to simply ship it back as a return. Since it's not "defective" you should be able to get your money back (or even credit would do) and buy another one.

Also, remember that at a certain point the costs of having customer service continue to listen to you *****ing on the phone (supervisors are even better) starts to exceed the cost of sending you a replacement . Exceptions can be made to every policy.
              MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

I thought Samsung had a new policy, 0 bad pixels? If it doesn't affect yours, deal with it. My 19" LCD has a dead one.

You may be able to rub it out.

Comment

I read about a Zero Dead Pixel policy by them that began in January, but that particular one applied only to South Korea.

Hmm, you can rub out dead pixels?
                  Last edited by CeleronXT; Thu 14 Jul '05, 7:24am.

Comment

That's right, it only affects SK right now.

Some dead pixels you can rub out. When I bought mine, I had two, one I rubbed out, the other would not rub out. Take a warm damp cloth rub in a circular motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
                      That's right, it only affects SK right now.

Some dead pixels you can rub out. When I bought mine, I had two, one I rubbed out, the other would not rub out. Take a warm damp cloth rub in a circular motion.
                      Make sure the monitor is turned OFF before doing that, though.
                      :)

Comment

I've also seen a program that flashes a bunch of random colors on the screen, and it apparently fixes any dead pixels there... I dont know if it works but its a thought

MGM out

Comment

I had 7 or 9 on my first one from dell in a little \ design, They sent me a new one only a few days later.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                            I got a new 19" Samsung LCD monitor (1280x1024 @ 75 Hz, 8ms response), and I noticed that at the top near the middle there's a single dead pixel. What should I do about this--ignore it or send it back? What would you all do?
                            I finally found a dead pixel on my 2001FP. It's stuck on. Unless the room is dark and I'm looking at an all-black screen, I can't even see it, so I don't feel like trying to get a replacement even though it's only a few weeks old.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                              I finally found a dead pixel on my 2001FP. It's stuck on. Unless the room is dark and I'm looking at an all-black screen, I can't even see it, so I don't feel like trying to get a replacement even though it's only a few weeks old.
                              It is better to get it replaced than to have your warranty expire and regretting it. Is that a samsung?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X