Less then one day tell NASA's "Return to Flight"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgillespie
    If its not broken, why fix it? They have many brains at NASA so I imagine they know what they are doing. If a computer made in the 1980s browsed the internet and allowed me to do what I wanted to do, efficiently, I would still be using it. No need to upgrade unless it haults productivity.
    Exactly, heres the deal...

The whole program was designed around these machines years ago, they where built with the intention for flying for years, otherwise we wouldn't spend so much money on the space program.

'Upgrading' the systems would mean two things, re-building the entire system or retro fitting the current one. The first means you have to start from square one and the second is more expensive than the first and opens the door for a ton of possible problems, not to mention you have to re-train the entire staff and training is nothing compared to experance .

Like I said, the technolgy on-board has proven itself time and time again.

However, soon the current program will end and they will start from square one again.

Comment

Were suppose to get the Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) in 2010-2014. Thats why there not replaceing anything.

But I think the CEV is a step back. It's a apollo like thing with room for 4 people launched on a throw away rocket. When the mission is over they jettison the Service Module and come back in a pod. The only part reused is the pod the astronaunts traval in, and even it can only be used up to 25 times.

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
        I guess...

Still - They'll have to upgrade sooner or later

Satan
        Upgrade to what? Windows and have their system crash half way through a rocket/shuttle launch?
        or Linux and have MS annoy them to use windows ?

Comment

It now appears that the shuttle won't be launched until Saturday at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
            I'm going to watch it on NASA TV *hugs directv* I was watching someting on NASA tv the other day, they where talking about how they still use computers made in the 1980's
            I'm going to watch it on NASA TV at NASA on a big screen in HD with free food.

But some coworkers of mine beat us all by just going to the Cape and watching it themselves.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Looks like a sensor failed.

The 16th hmm? That would be the 36 Anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11.
              Last edited by nakile; Wed 13th Jul '05, 11:31pm.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                I'm going to watch it on NASA TV at NASA on a big screen in HD with free food.

But some coworkers of mine beat us all by just going to the Cape and watching it themselves.
                Do you still work with NASA? What exactly do you do again? I remember few months back I was envying your job, now I forgot what it was.

Comment

Yes, at the moment working on a program to facilitate communications across NASA bases and possibly missions.
                  Last edited by filburt1; Thu 14th Jul '05, 11:23am.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                    Yes, at the moment working on a prgraom to facilitate communications across NASA bases and possibly missions.
                    Ah, now I remember! I wish I had your job. Must be a stressful one, but working for Nasa!

Comment

has anyone ever been to the NASA main center? If so is it really worth becoming an astronaut...?

Comment

You need to be in effectively perfect physical shape and have extensive education to become a spacebound astronaut. Although I'm not sure if it's a requirement, most astronauts have also been members of the military, usually the air force.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X