Less then one day tell NASA's "Return to Flight"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less then one day tell NASA's "Return to Flight"

Link to NASA's Return to Flight news page. (With a counter)

Less than one day tell the Discovery goes up, installs parts on the ISS, test some heat shield repair techniques, and comes back down on the 25th.

The launch is scheduled for July 13th, 3:51 PM EST.

So, is anyone here going to watch it (on TV or in person)?

I'm going to set it up to record in the event I can't watch it.

Comment

I'm going to watch it on NASA TV *hugs directv* I was watching someting on NASA tv the other day, they where talking about how they still use computers made in the 1980's

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
        I'm going to watch it on NASA TV *hugs directv* I was watching someting on NASA tv the other day, they where talking about how they still use computers made in the 1980's
        ... I find that slightly disturbing for an organization working in the "space age."
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua
          ... I find that slightly disturbing for an organization working in the "space age."
          Not at all, they fly with them because they are proven to work in the field, and when they break they know how to fix them.

Comment

So modern computers are unfixable according to NASA?

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
              So modern computers are unfixable according to NASA?

Satan
              If its not broken, why fix it? They have many brains at NASA so I imagine they know what they are doing. If a computer made in the 1980s browsed the internet and allowed me to do what I wanted to do, efficiently, I would still be using it. No need to upgrade unless it haults productivity.
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                If its not broken, why fix it? They have many brains at NASA so I imagine they know what they are doing. If a computer made in the 1980s browsed the internet and allowed me to do what I wanted to do, efficiently, I would still be using it. No need to upgrade unless it haults productivity.
                True.. however... with upgraded technology, you can be just as productive, if not more, with modern technologies, can't you? You can do the same thing, but use up less time, and produce more.

Comment

True.. however... with upgraded technology, you can be just as productive, if not more, with modern technologies, can't you? You can do the same thing, but use up less time, and produce more.
                  But the overhead of upgrading all of NASA to newer technology would probably be greater than the possible efficiency increase. Getting new computers would require lots of retraining and lots of renovation, all of which isnít needed if the system is already functional. Iím sure they are not using DOS and phone line networks, but computing equipment that has solitary designated tasks.

Comment

Honestly though - Do you really think NASA employees would need re-training on how to use a modern computer?

They're nerds

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                      Honestly though - Do you really think NASA employees would need re-training on how to use a modern computer?

They're nerds

Satan
                      We are not talking about your average desktop. We are talking about massive super computers that have very systematic operations. You also have to realize that these nerds are probably 30 to 60 years old

Comment

We are not talking about your average desktop. We are talking about massive super computers that have very systematic operations. You also have to realize that these nerds are probably 30 to 60 years old
                        I guess...

Still - They'll have to upgrade sooner or later

Satan

Comment

But the overhead of upgrading all of NASA to newer technology would probably be greater than the possible efficiency increase. Getting new computers would require lots of retraining and lots of renovation, all of which isnít needed if the system is already functional. Iím sure they are not using DOS and phone line networks, but computing equipment that has solitary designated tasks.
                          No drastic upgrades then. Slowly implement new things here and there that could be better off upgraded to do "simple" tasks faster and more efficiently.

Comment

No drastic upgrades then. Slowly implement new things here and there that could be better off upgraded to do "simple" tasks faster and more efficiently.
                            Which cost money...

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
                              Which cost money...
                              Since when did NASA not have money

MGM out

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X