Too many vbulletin sites look like vBulletin.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conqsoft
    What site is this that's getting 500 new members a day?
    http://www.off-topic.com ?

I'm using the default skin, and I'm happy with it. Plus, it's not that hard to change the icons, but I like the default icons darn it!
    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

I dug up this old thread because of a recent review of my car website.
      "The site itself is easy to navigate and easy on the eye to boot,"
      The rest of the review is of no interest to others but there is something to be said for the default skin.
      It's the content and flavor of the board that makes the site. Thanks vB.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

I also agree, customising the board is fundamental out there, you have to be unique to beat the competition (they will always exist). And also, stangette.com has a nice unique forum - obviously some thought went into the customisation of this, and the one unique thing I've noticed (within 2 seconds of visiting) is that the forums (Stangette Lounge and Garage) have sub-forums on the main forum (root of tree).

I haven't seen it laid out like that before, and I'm subscribed to a number of forums. I do like it

As I studied a Degree in Multimedia, training the eye in colour schemes and innovation are the key areas. I have seen many forums out their that are identical in appearance to this one which honestly bores me, I won't be visiting those sites again (and not even some added / custom smilies), it's these little things that make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
          Today, almost every niche is taken. A forum cannot succeed on its own unless a new, never-before-done niche is created that is popular and well-known. That is hard to do.
          I agree with you, there are more people running forums on the net today than every before. So it's so much harder!

Originally posted by MGM
          A style is very important in that it's the first thing a person sees, and if its the same thing that the person has seen at a hundred other sites (same niche or not, doesn't matter), then he/she will think "This looks just like those hundred other sites, I'm not gonna bother with this"....
          I'd say the most important things are a good niche to attract members, and great content. I'd say the skin comes around 3rd place myself.

Again, that a good assessment. Some members will think that looks the same as all the rest, so why bother. But I still think if you have great content there and lots of it to interest them. That can be overcome though.

Comment

But when you have content that is unique, does the style and skin still make that much of a difference? I have visited some sites that look nice but take forever to load. Maybe you need something fancy to get the attention but it is still content and flavor that keeps people.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
              I agree with you, there are more people running forums on the net today than every before. So it's so much harder!

I'd say the most important things are a good niche to attract members, and great content. I'd say the skin comes around 3rd place myself.

Again, that a good assessment. Some members will think that looks the same as all the rest, so why bother. But I still think if you have great content there and lots of it to interest them. That can be overcome though.
              In the past I would have argued against that, but now I realize that yes, content is king. A site with many, many more articles and a good reputation for delivering good content would probably do pretty good even if they are using the default style.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton

I totally agree. A good looking site without substance is not going to retain members. I've been to plenty of crappy looking sites, and keep on going back because they have exactly what I look for.
                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

I would if i knew how

I would love to customise my vbullettin but to be honest I am a novice and dont know how to....

I currently pay for hacks and instillations from a guy in America but my site is non profit so i cant afford to be getting it to where i would like it to be unfortunately..as i learn more i hope to customize it more...any help would be greatly appreciated though if someone is interrested

my site is here www.countrybns.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    I seriously doubt the using the default style is a key factor in whether or not a site is popular and successful. More likely, the people that put extra effort into branding their forums also put extra effort into promoting them and building a serious community in which people want to participate.
                    Besides that, vBulletin has an enhanced Style manager and Language manager from where the CSS classes (design) and templates (layout in XHTML) and phrases (the text) can be changed very quickly. There are a lot of unique sites out there, even big sites (like valve.com or community.yourpsp.com, etc) that are recognizable as vBulletin, but definitely don't look like a vBulletin.

vBulletin is filled with features and options. And many features can be turned off, or customized per registered member. And by the admin also very easy to be moved from top to bottom, or used in an innovating manner (see the many template modifications). And then we're not even mentioning the abilities of modifying the look by using the enhanced plugin system.

It's a matter of bandwidth / page loading / traffic / etc vs costs per month for big web sites that have thousends of users online and many gigabytes to render. Simplicity wins in those cases, ergo simple designs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X