Too many vbulletin sites look like vBulletin.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arunan
    You have a nice site, nice cars....and beautiful girls! Damnit...I wish I could join, troll and hit on those girls!

Edit: Forgot to mention, that I am a gentleman, thus I only do what I mentioned above when it is required.
    Well if you joined you wouldn't be alone

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
      Maybe when people create boards where there are dozens of the same topic it helps to stand out.
      Agree, but do you think that applies to the "build it, and they will always come" topics like cars and anime? I'd bet that one could create a stock vBulletin message board, with no template changes or customization except the logo, dedicated to ... oh, just the Ford Five Hundred or Pontiac G6, and it would be packed with users and messages in days.
      Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
      http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
        I would have to disagree there. I recently launched a client's website, using a (very) crappy skin (IMO. The pages were extremely badly coded, tons of validation errors, removed lots of vital vB features in the templates, had HUGE rendering errors in non-IE browsers, etc.) and has been very successful.

Within the first week, they had thousands of posts in the forums and hundreds of posts in the gallery. About two months later, they now have almost 40,000 posts and thousands of members.
        May I ask what your client's website is about? Besides, there are always exceptions

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
          May I ask what your client's website is about? Besides, there are always exceptions

MGM out
          Given the comments I made about the skin, I'd rather not say who it is since the skin purchased from one of the many vBulletin skin sites.
          :)

Comment

Content has always been the key to attracting and keeping members.
            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_lex
              Well if you joined you wouldn't be alone
              Is that an invite? :P

----------

Now, in regards to design. Just as vtec stated, content is the primary marketing tool. As a graphics designer I would say establishing your identity is the main tool (business wise), as a developer, content is the best marketing tool.

It just depends how you take it. I am some what in the same lines as DirectPixel.

Comment

Originally posted by cyburbia
                Agree, but do you think that applies to the "build it, and they will always come" topics like cars and anime? I'd bet that one could create a stock vBulletin message board, with no template changes or customization except the logo, dedicated to ... oh, just the Ford Five Hundred or Pontiac G6, and it would be packed with users and messages in days.
                There are several vB BMW boards that I know of. Each have their own culture. I think if each one used the default style the same people would be subscribers. I think you need a style to attract their attention, but content is what will keep them there.

That is not to say I am pleased that my boards are generic. I'd like something unique but it's tough to please most of my members. The default style works for me.
                ...steven
                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Well all the feedback is great. Thanks for all your imput. I say is about 60% believe looks is important and 40% think its content

Comment

Well i think that default skin is exactly what brings peoploe, is the simplicity, if you put 100 mods and things like that it will make your forum childish, yeah its good but not for everyone, i am having atleast 500 new members each day and i am using a normal skin with no mods. SO SKIN IS NOT A FACTOR. ITS THE CONTENT.

Comment

Content is king, but if the site looks like something the cat dragged in, it's not going to have the mass appeal. As much as folks like to be PC about diversity and all, mankind is a vain creature, and he likes pretty things -- he's even drawn to them.

Chris
                      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                        Content is king, but if the site looks like something the cat dragged in, it's not going to have the mass appeal. As much as folks like to be PC about diversity and all, mankind is a vain creature, and he likes pretty things -- he's even drawn to them.
                        A look can scare people away too. I know when I come across a site that might be of interest to me, I have no patience waiting for flash files to load or slow downloads because of all the graphics. Also some sites look like they they need to have every mod and hack under the sun. They may have some great content but I quickly move on. The default skin sets a balance.
                        ...steven
                        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

It doesn't. Tell me how many large boards use the default skin? Do you see, say, WHT with a default skin?

Branding is a essential part for a forum success. The default skin will do for a board that's starting out, but if the board doesn't want to be a "cookie-cutter" type, it'll have to customize -- it's the only way for it look professional and unique.

I do agree on the abuse of Flash (it needs to be small and to the point, not BE the forum itself).

Chris
                          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Well I think it all revolves around a lot of things. Skins can look nice and help out a site. Sure!!! But it just amazes me how you can view some sites that have skins that look out of this world and yet they are finding it really hard to grab members.

I honestly think a lot depends on how much effort you are will to put into promoting your site first. To many people setup a board and then just sit on there asses waiting for people to come to them first. Also as mentioned above, content as to be a major factor also. I also feel a god dam lot of luck is also needed.

Being able to offer downloads of some sort to members is another good way to get people joining - but then you run the risk of them joining just to download. I created a Cloak Mod for Freelancer. I have 20 people join the site in one week just to get the mod. The bad side was NOT ONE person posted to say thanks or anything.
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 14th Nov '05, 9:32am.

Comment

Originally posted by prows
                              Well i think that default skin is exactly what brings peoploe, is the simplicity, if you put 100 mods and things like that it will make your forum childish, yeah its good but not for everyone, i am having atleast 500 new members each day and i am using a normal skin with no mods. SO SKIN IS NOT A FACTOR. ITS THE CONTENT.
                              What site is this that's getting 500 new members a day?
                              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

500 members per day = 3,500 members per week.

Thats 182,000 members a year

In 5 years you will have neally 1 million users.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X