Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question concerning legal issues form banning a user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I banned a user after they kept threatening the site with ddos attack if I didn't make them a mod. I got an email telling me that I saying he was going to sue me because the site is all about free speech and that I was stiffling his. I told him go ahead and that since I paid for the site I could ban whoever I please whenever I want. He sent me another threatening email and I forwarded it to his ISP and CC'ed the complaint to the account holder who was his mother. A couple days later I got an apology from him and a plea to help him to get his mothers broadband account back. The email came from a dialup ISP.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

How did you manage to get the account holder's email? :| I got a few annoying kids who I wanna axe sometime.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

You have to where to look and how to do it. A small hint. The user IP is your friend.
        Don't think an ISP will remove a user account just because they are being weinies.They have to do something that violates the ISPs TOS.
        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
          You have to where to look and how to do it. A small hint. The user IP is your friend.
          Don't think an ISP will remove a user account just because they are being weinies.They have to do something that violates the ISPs TOS.
          well I always can nail em on ISP grounds . I wouldn't bother complaining to the ISP unless they were really being a pain in the butt.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

aww, this is a case where in the usa your likely to win it lol. anyway its highly unlikely any case like this would stand any hope at all but to be save you could always edit for forum rules to outline something like the below:

Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

Comment

I think one side to this could change the whole discussion. Was there any payment made to access the board? Either donation, subscription or even the purchase of another product that entitled you access to the supprt board (a bit like here). If the answer is yes to any of these, the sistuation would be complete different.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

We have a disclaimer on our subscription page that says that the donations do not offset the rules and that donors are held to the same rules violation penalties as non-donors.
                L'chaim

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                  I banned a user after they kept threatening the site with ddos attack if I didn't make them a mod. I got an email telling me that I saying he was going to sue me because the site is all about free speech and that I was stiffling his. I told him go ahead and that since I paid for the site I could ban whoever I please whenever I want. He sent me another threatening email and I forwarded it to his ISP and CC'ed the complaint to the account holder who was his mother. A couple days later I got an apology from him and a plea to help him to get his mothers broadband account back. The email came from a dialup ISP.
                  Beautiful!
                  TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
                    I think one side to this could change the whole discussion. Was there any payment made to access the board? Either donation, subscription or even the purchase of another product that entitled you access to the supprt board (a bit like here). If the answer is yes to any of these, the sistuation would be complete different.
                    Like Christine said, as long as you make some point about rules regarding donators/subscribers and their conduct, you can do as you please

Satan

Comment

if its your forum, you have the right to do whatever you want, Ban him, delete his account, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                        Like Christine said, as long as you make some point about rules regarding donators/subscribers and their conduct, you can do as you please

Satan
                        I knwo that if your Rules/Agreement is good, there is not problem. This side was just not discussed yet, so i didn't know if what i said was the case here.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Marco makes a good point about sites like this, where people have to pay for their annual license to post for support.

Of course, there is an alternative here -- and that is the support ticket system, but if anyone has a site where their paid support is via forum only (like a webhost?) then they may have issues that the others of us who just use a donation system won't have.
                          L'chaim

Comment

Usually I would give my donors a little more leeway. Maybe by 1cm, but they are still subjected to the very same rules and stuff.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X