Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ban free email accounts from registering on your forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I wasn't going to get very far with what I was doing without registering.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
    http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

I've voted sometimes, we do allow freemail, but we don't allow hotmail, aol and yahoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
        I've voted sometimes, we do allow freemail, but we don't allow hotmail, aol and yahoo.
        What about gmail?

I still think that disabling free email registrations will reduce the amount of people who will bother to register with a different email... YOU may not notice that the amount of registrations has gone down but it more than likely has.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk
          No. The majority of the users at my forum use free email accounts.
          I don't ban free email addresses on my forum too. I am not sure it's a majority for my forums, but it's certainly a significant percentage of users...

Originally posted by Ksilebo
          Mildly on topic, and not directed at anyone, but if your site requires registration just to use the search, often that pisses me off enough to register and never post there. Or you have half your forums hidden to non-logged in users. Another annoyance.
          well, I do require people to register to search, but that's mainly due to server load concerns. Too many unregistered users doing search would make the forum run alot slower.
          War is only fun when you are winning.

Comment

Why would I forbid something that myself I use? This would be crazy if I couldn't register to my own board!
            Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
            Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
            Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

No..

Comment

No way.

99% of the people registered on the forums i've seen use hotmail, and occasionally yahoo.

Comment

free email

where can i get a free email host. i want to have a email. address that say
                  [email protected]
                  where can i get that. i want a free one not one that you have to buy

Comment

Nope. What's the point of banning popular e-mail domains .....
                    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

HardForum.com banned free emails. They run vBulletin.
                      Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by darkpowers
                        where can i get a free email host. i want to have a email. address that say
                        [email protected]
                        where can i get that. i want a free one not one that you have to buy
                        You can only get an email from a particular domain if you buy the domain itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesyfx
                          You can only get an email from a particular domain if you buy the domain itself.
                          Or if the owner of such a domain will be kind enough to give you a POP3 account or a forwarder

I tend to disallow any yahoo email domains, and occasionally, depending on the spread of troublesome users using them, hotmail and aol as well...

I don't ban gmail - I also don't tend to ban all these @mail.ru emails either

Satan

Comment

I understand the desire to block free emails, but what about when they're not so free?

I'm a payed Yahoo user. I bought my account before I got broadband, before I got GMail, before I bought my domain. Because of the amount of people who use that account (and because I do not use my domain account for anything other than business), I haven't given it up.

Seeing as how I'm paying $20 a year for the perks of a "paid" account, I like having the ability to use it for registrations wherever I like. Then again, seeing as how I am paying Yahoo, they could at least find a way to differentiate it from free accounts in a way that forums and other email-required sites could verify.

Comment

I don't ban free email host as of yet. If I would start to ban them, it would be AOL and Hotmail. Those two give me all kinds problems as far as spam goes.
                              Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

No I don't. Most of my members don't have a chance to get away from free email accounts since they don't have a website
                                That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X