More news on IE 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zachery
    Yes, but they do work for Billion Dollar AOL/ Time Warner, and thats who their bills are taken care of by.
    Err, no. Two years ago (on July 15, 2003) the Mozilla Foundation was launched. They're completely independent of AOL, and have been for two years now.

You're thinking of Netscape, which is just now a marketing firm that designs a terribly bad browser around the libraries MoFo creates. AOL has nothing to do with Firefox, or the Mozilla Foundation any more.
    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
      I just baffles me why an open source project being developed by members who work days elsewhere and then develop at night
      If you had done any research, you would have realized that for all the core developers this is not true. MoFo has several full time developers working on their stuff. Other companies such as IBM and Google contribute employees to work full time on Mozilla products.

is competing with a company who has more than enough resources and knowledge to complete the job.
      And yet, browsers like Mozilla and Opera have had tabbed browsing for years while IE has languished. And of course, when a browser like Firefox comes along that the whole world is talking about, it's only then that MS gets on the bandwagon and says, "Yeah, we'll have that too!"

Experience means nothing when you don't have the capital and team to back it.
      Then the reverse is also true.

I personally find it strange you compare the organizations behind the products (with outrightly wrong info, not to mention), then use that as a basis to compare products. A very weird way to do it.

Personally, I don't think MSFT is a bad company. They have many great products, IE's just not one of them right now. I switched from Netscape to IE 4, because at the time it was the best choice available. From there, I've switched to a Mozilla variant, then to Firebird two years ago. I prefer Firefox, you do not. That's okay, but you go about arguing for it in a way that has nothing to do with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
        Regardless of their experience, they don't work for billion dollar Microsoft. There is a reason Microsoft has so much money; its because they produce quality products. Why can't they deliver in the brower market is my question? I just baffles me why an open source project being developed by members who work days elsewhere and then develop at night, is competing with a company who has more than enough resources and knowledge to complete the job. Experience means nothing when you don't have the capital and team to back it.
        The Mozilla Foundation gets millions of dollars in funding every year from companies like AOL, Apple, IBM, and Redhat. Their main developers do not have other day jobs. They work for the Mozilla Foundation. Just because it is open source and non-profit does not mean they do not have money.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
          And yet, browsers like Mozilla and Opera have had tabbed browsing for years while IE has languished. And of course, when a browser like Firefox comes along that the whole world is talking about, it's only then that MS gets on the bandwagon and says, "Yeah, we'll have that too!"
          This isn't letting a product languish. It is customer demand over-riding business goals. Microsoft wants to deliver document centric products. They have pretty much removed the MDI (multiple document interface) from all of their applications including Office and have gone to a single document interface. This is supposed to allow the user to concentrate on the work at hand and allow them to organize their work flow to fit their needs.

Tabs goes against this and again introduces an MDI framework. Sure it is nice and even I use them, though Firefox fails in many other ways, but they are not a necessity to life.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            This isn't letting a product languish.
            I never said why IE has languished, I simply made the comparison that as other browsers have added benefit after benefit, IE has gone on for years without much change. The only major update has been SP2, which had become far too necessary for them to ignore.

They have pretty much removed the MDI (multiple document interface) from all of their applications including Office and have gone to a single document interface.
            The way Office 2003, particularly Excel, handles multiple open documents is egregiously bad. I can only hope they fix this in future versions.

But that's for another topic.

though Firefox fails in many other ways
            I agree, I mean I can only imagine the number of people that have switched back to IE after finding out that each installation of an application with Gecko requires its own gecko installation engine instead of making use of the OS' shared libraries.

In seriousness however, there are areas that can be improved and I look forward to the next versions to see how they deal with it. That said, IE has many failings of it's own. I hope (and as a developer, I hope most strongly that they fix Trident) that they resolve those issues and make a better browser. Since I'm not an IE user, and have three computers that will not run the next version of IE, I'm not going to be waiting with baited breath.

I will check it out, and will switch my only Windows box to it, if it genuinely works better than what I'm using now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              This is a crock... The developers of Mozilla Firefox have been designing browsers since before there was an Internet Explorer. They are the people responsible for Netscape Navigator 1.0 and up. They aren't a new team. There may be new people on the team but it goes back almost 15 years in browser development.
              That wasn't my point. My point was that they've had far less time to work on Firefox then Microsoft has had to work on IE. Their past experience may have something to do with it, but they aren't gods that can pull a product out of nowhere in days.

MGM out

Comment

Wow, I'm suprised that EVERYONE in here has gone way off topic. Shouldn't the moderators here split up these OFF TOPIC posts into a new thread...?

As for the FF vs IE arguement, I might was well not argue because I have much less knowledge then everyone else here

Comment

Firefox is > IE

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
                    That wasn't my point. My point was that they've had far less time to work on Firefox then Microsoft has had to work on IE. Their past experience may have something to do with it, but they aren't gods that can pull a product out of nowhere in days.

MGM out
                    Two quick notes: first, Firefox started in September of 2002 under the name Phoenix.

Secondly, development on Gecko, the core of any browser (the rendering engine), started at Netscape in 1997.

Firefox was hardly put together "in days".

Comment

Firefox is > IE
                      NOW would be a good time to have this thread closed so no more stuff like that is posted. Not trying to tell mods what to do, just suggesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootertaj
                        NOW would be a good time to have this thread closed so no more stuff like that is posted. Not trying to tell mods what to do, just suggesting.
                        he didnt call anyone names, nor was rude, he was just expressing his opinion. if you like explorer better just say "explorer > firefox" and thats it . its pretty stupid to fight over which browser is the best. is it so important?
                        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Firebird > Firefox

Anywho - I'm hoping that the Microsoft IE 7 developers will try and copy Firefox to a certain extent, and make it so that IE won't render any crap you fling at it - If they can make it only render XHTML compliant code and a few depreciated HTML 4 tags then I'll be happy

Satan

Comment

Looks ok if its the real thing
                            Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't look too bad - I suspect it's a fake image though

Satan

Comment

he didnt call anyone names, nor was rude, he was just expressing his opinion. if you like explorer better just say "explorer > firefox" and thats it
                                No, he didn't call anyone names, nor was rude, and I didn't say he was... As for him expressing his opinion, I'm pretty sure this is thread is "More News on IE 7" not "Which do you like more, FF or IE". And that is why I said he shouldn't of done that.

As for the IE 7 picture, looks pretty good, but what is that language there? Looks like English-Russian.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X