More news on IE 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dream
    download manager is just a window listing your downloads. I hope they add stuff like "resume downloads" and queue in the future.

They have a pause and resume option....

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
      -snip-
      I'll agree with this post except Firefox's download manager is complete crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        1. Not exposing half the needed options via a dialog box but relying on extensions or a poorly implemented javascript options implementation.
        2. No Inherent Tab Control, again relying on extensions instead of compiled code for basic tab functionality such as re-arranging tabs, duplicating tabs, re-opening accidently closed tabs.
        3. Weird control key assignments like "Alt-Left Arrow" for back instead of simply backspace.
        4. Requiring restarts of the browser to change themes.
        5. Common browser functionality (i.e. javascript based copy and paste) disabled and can only be enabled for a single site at a time, and then you need to edit a javascript file.
        6. Poor integration with external file format and applications. Doesn't take advantage of COM objects in Windows. As such multimedia such as Quicktime and Windows Media files open in their own process outside the website UI.
        7. Flash functionality not included by default.
        8. Poor integration with other Mozilla applications. For instance if you install Thunderbird, a "Read Mail" item appears on the Tools Menu. If you uninstall Thunderbird it is still there but doesn't do anything.
        9. Self-Updater that is worthless and never checks for updates and crashes the browser if it does (this is on 1.0.4 on my computer).
        10. In-effective pop-up blocking controls. I get ten times the popups on Firefox that I do on Internet Explorer 6SP2.
        11. Overrides the middle mouse button by default.
        12. No third-party integration support. Each installation of an application with Gecko requires its own gecko installation engine instead of making use of the OSes shared libraries.
        13. A download manager with no purpose. All it allows is background downloads. There is no organization or management involved, either a file is listed or not. You cannot re-download a file by clicking on it, can't delete it, etc...
        I am sure there are more problems with the UI and function implementation than I can find. I do use the browser now but the lack of things it can actually do out of the box annoy me. I am not happy with a browser that requires me to re-install what should be basic functionality with every upgrade, having to restart the browser with every installation. I shouldn't have to run through hoops to have web browsing as part of my preferred OS.
        3. Backspace works for me.
        4. Because IE has theme functionality? Anyway, restarting one's browser is a minor inconvenience at worst for most people.
        7. As far as I can remember, Flash isn't included with IE either.
        9. Self-Updater works very well for me.
        10. Really? The only site on which I ever get a pop-up is Drudge Report. And for that reason I no longer go there.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

^ same as you man.

Comment

1. Not exposing half the needed options via a dialog box but relying on extensions or a poorly implemented javascript options implementation.
            2. No Inherent Tab Control, again relying on extensions instead of compiled code for basic tab functionality such as re-arranging tabs, duplicating tabs, re-opening accidently closed tabs.
            3. Weird control key assignments like "Alt-Left Arrow" for back instead of simply backspace.
            4. Requiring restarts of the browser to change themes.
            5. Common browser functionality (i.e. javascript based copy and paste) disabled and can only be enabled for a single site at a time, and then you need to edit a javascript file.
            6. Poor integration with external file format and applications. Doesn't take advantage of COM objects in Windows. As such multimedia such as Quicktime and Windows Media files open in their own process outside the website UI.
            7. Flash functionality not included by default.
            8. Poor integration with other Mozilla applications. For instance if you install Thunderbird, a "Read Mail" item appears on the Tools Menu. If you uninstall Thunderbird it is still there but doesn't do anything.
            9. Self-Updater that is worthless and never checks for updates and crashes the browser if it does (this is on 1.0.4 on my computer).
            10. In-effective pop-up blocking controls. I get ten times the popups on Firefox that I do on Internet Explorer 6SP2.
            11. Overrides the middle mouse button by default.
            12. No third-party integration support. Each installation of an application with Gecko requires its own gecko installation engine instead of making use of the OSes shared libraries.
            13. A download manager with no purpose. All it allows is background downloads. There is no organization or management involved, either a file is listed or not. You cannot re-download a file by clicking on it, can't delete it, etc...
            I am sure there are more problems with the UI and function implementation than I can find. I do use the browser now but the lack of things it can actually do out of the box annoy me. I am not happy with a browser that requires me to re-install what should be basic functionality with every upgrade, having to restart the browser with every installation. I shouldn't have to run through hoops to have web browsing as part of my preferred OS.
            These are major inconveniences how? I have not once found the need to rearrange tabs or have tab control. A tab is exactly like opening a new window, just located on a different task bar. Because your friends close tabs does not mean they are dysfunctional and unpractical, it means they are simply not use to the interface.
            1. Backspace works for me as well.
            2. How many times do we change themes?
            3. Media integrates just fine for me as well.
            4. The common user can install flash.
            I will agree with a lot of your complaints, but going through Internet Explorer, I can find just as many. Internet Explorer is not complete trash by any means, but Firefox seems to get what I need done; faster. Given time to mature, I think it has a lot of possibility. Even with its problems, I am willing to support it in hopes of one day being a complete solution for developers, common users, and enthusiasts. Internet explorer seems to fail in all three of those categories.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

All I have to say is that IE has been out for years and years, whereas Firefox has only been out for a year or so. The developers of IE have had a lot more time to work on it then the developers of Firefox. With that in mind, Firefox already has some better functionality than IE, so given time, Firefox may very well surpass IE in all functionality (speed, extensions, downloads, etc.)

MGM out

Comment

Indeed, the newer versions of FireFox no longer for you to go to a website and select which package to install for media extensions.

Now, all you have to do is click on the box that says "Plugin not found" and follow the step-by-step wizard instructions, which will automatically download and install the package. This works for Flash and QuickTime, in my experiences. I don't really use Real or anything else, so I'm not 100% sure about how those work.
                :)

Comment

Umm... just wondering, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about IE 7, not FF vs IE...?

Comment

Originally posted by Scootertaj
                    Umm... just wondering, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about IE 7, not FF vs IE...?
                    Yeah but fanboys always jump at the chance to prove that ones better than the other, when in reality they're both imperfect. And I think those screenshots look pretty much just like Firefox, visually. With a few more bars.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
                      All I have to say is that IE has been out for years and years, whereas Firefox has only been out for a year or so. The developers of IE have had a lot more time to work on it then the developers of Firefox. With that in mind, Firefox already has some better functionality than IE, so given time, Firefox may very well surpass IE in all functionality (speed, extensions, downloads, etc.)
                      This is a crock... The developers of Mozilla Firefox have been designing browsers since before there was an Internet Explorer. They are the people responsible for Netscape Navigator 1.0 and up. They aren't a new team. There may be new people on the team but it goes back almost 15 years in browser development.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                        If you've ever goten that download manager to work right, go you! I've never been able to period, pausing just doesn't pause it and kills the whole transfer and resume never works either.
                        Some webservers do not have the capability to pause/resume downloads. Most however do, and I have never had a problem with it.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Hes right though, you cant pause and resume properly yet in Firefox, that still needs to be sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesyfx
                            Hes right though, you cant pause and resume properly yet in Firefox, that still needs to be sorted out.
                            I've never had a problem with it. Just sharing my own experiences.
                            TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

This is a crock... The developers of Mozilla Firefox have been designing browsers since before there was an Internet Explorer. They are the people responsible for Netscape Navigator 1.0 and up. They aren't a new team. There may be new people on the team but it goes back almost 15 years in browser development.
                              Regardless of their experience, they don't work for billion dollar Microsoft. There is a reason Microsoft has so much money; its because they produce quality products. Why can't they deliver in the brower market is my question? I just baffles me why an open source project being developed by members who work days elsewhere and then develop at night, is competing with a company who has more than enough resources and knowledge to complete the job. Experience means nothing when you don't have the capital and team to back it.
                              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Yes, but they do work for Billion Dollar AOL/ Time Warner, and thats who their bills are taken care of by.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X