Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zachery
    You finally gave in on that quirky ui freddie
    Quirky? Don't seem to have any problems with mine.

Comment

Firefox's UI is very quirky when compared to IE's and or Many other default system browsers, even Safaris UI is better implimented...

Comment

Firefox's UI is very quirky when compared to IE's and or Many other default system browsers, even Safaris UI is better implimented...
        Examples?

Comment

He's right.... he knows he's right...

he doesn't need YOU to know he's right.

Comment

No matter what they enhance in IE, Firefox is still the best!
            Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

My Mods: Coming Soon | My Tutorials: Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
              Examples?
              1. Not exposing half the needed options via a dialog box but relying on extensions or a poorly implemented javascript options implementation.
              2. No Inherent Tab Control, again relying on extensions instead of compiled code for basic tab functionality such as re-arranging tabs, duplicating tabs, re-opening accidently closed tabs.
              3. Weird control key assignments like "Alt-Left Arrow" for back instead of simply backspace.
              4. Requiring restarts of the browser to change themes.
              5. Common browser functionality (i.e. javascript based copy and paste) disabled and can only be enabled for a single site at a time, and then you need to edit a javascript file.
              6. Poor integration with external file format and applications. Doesn't take advantage of COM objects in Windows. As such multimedia such as Quicktime and Windows Media files open in their own process outside the website UI.
              7. Flash functionality not included by default.
              8. Poor integration with other Mozilla applications. For instance if you install Thunderbird, a "Read Mail" item appears on the Tools Menu. If you uninstall Thunderbird it is still there but doesn't do anything.
              9. Self-Updater that is worthless and never checks for updates and crashes the browser if it does (this is on 1.0.4 on my computer).
              10. In-effective pop-up blocking controls. I get ten times the popups on Firefox that I do on Internet Explorer 6SP2.
              11. Overrides the middle mouse button by default.
              12. No third-party integration support. Each installation of an application with Gecko requires its own gecko installation engine instead of making use of the OSes shared libraries.
              13. A download manager with no purpose. All it allows is background downloads. There is no organization or management involved, either a file is listed or not. You cannot re-download a file by clicking on it, can't delete it, etc...
              I am sure there are more problems with the UI and function implementation than I can find. I do use the browser now but the lack of things it can actually do out of the box annoy me. I am not happy with a browser that requires me to re-install what should be basic functionality with every upgrade, having to restart the browser with every installation. I shouldn't have to run through hoops to have web browsing as part of my preferred OS.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

The Javascript Console is enough reason to use Firefox though.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                  The Javascript Console is enough reason to use Firefox though.
                  If you are a developer... If you aren't that isn't a reason.

I'll admit that Firefox has some superior development tools going for it. And that is good. For the average person, it doesn't offer much really. My wife used to use Firefox and she never once used a single tab. She would always open new windows. She hated them and said they were confusing. A couple of friends check their email occasionally on our computers and they never use tabs, they open new windows for everything. If a tab does open for some reason, they close it and open a new window. Go figure.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Safari is better than x is a phrase you will never hear me speak...

Comment

I'm going to stick with Firefox. The main reason is for easy to find extensions, not to mention you can find extensions for almost anything. Since switching to Firefox crashes no longer bother me. As Firefox now keeps track of everything open, so even if it is closed, killed or stops responding I can just open it again and continue working. Also it can interpret CSS and XHTML better than IE in most cases. A few other reasons that I can't be bothered putting here too.

Also
                      Originally posted by Kier
                      Safari is better than x is a phrase you will never hear me speak...
                      X=Nothing
                      That you could probably say

--Jagged Tooth--

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Not exposing half the needed options
                        Highly subjective based on the needs of each individual person. Firefox and Explorer both get it right for most of the needs of most home users.

No Inherent Tab Control, again relying on extensions instead of compiled code for basic tab functionality such as re-arranging tabs, duplicating tabs, re-opening accidently closed tabs.
                        Not an example of IE being better then Firefox since IE doesn't even have tabs.

Weird control key assignments like "Alt-Left Arrow" for back instead of simply backspace.
                        I use Backspace in Firefox on Windows all the time.

Requiring restarts of the browser to change themes.
                        Obnoxious, yes. Wonder how many times you change themes in Explorer though.

Common browser functionality (i.e. javascript based copy and paste)
                        Doesn't seem all that common to me.

Poor integration with external file format and applications. Doesn't take advantage of COM objects in Windows. As such multimedia such as Quicktime and Windows Media files open in their own process outside the website UI.
                        I've embeded many Windows Media Files in websites, and they work exactly as they do in Explorer.

Flash functionality not included by default.
                        Yes, that's one area Explorer is superior to Firefox.

Poor integration with other Mozilla applications. For instance if you install Thunderbird, a "Read Mail" item appears on the Tools Menu. If you uninstall Thunderbird it is still there but doesn't do anything.
                        That's a problem of Thunderbird's integration, not Firefox's. Though, one thing that's always annoyed me about Firefox is everytime I upgrade, a new entry appears in Add/Remove Programs. Very annoying to have a dozen Firefox entries there.

Self-Updater that is worthless and never checks for updates and crashes the browser if it does (this is on 1.0.4 on my computer).
                        Yep, the updater needs serious work.

It has never worked properly for me.

In-effective pop-up blocking controls. I get ten times the popups on Firefox that I do on Internet Explorer 6SP2.
                        While I barely use Explorer, I use Firefox quite a bit and never get popups.

Unfortunately, one of the tab extensions overrides the Firefox popup blocker Could that be your problem?

Overrides the middle mouse button by default.
                        I suppose that's annoying for anyone that may have customized their middle mouse button.

No third-party integration support. Each installation of an application with Gecko requires its own gecko installation engine instead of making use of the OSes shared libraries.
                        A large concern for most people using Internet Explorer, clearly.

A download manager with no purpose. All it allows is background downloads. There is no organization or management involved, either a file is listed or not. You cannot re-download a file by clicking on it, can't delete it, etc...

Again, this is inferior to Explorer's functionality in what way? Firefox allows you to pause, cancel and restart downloads, which is more than I can say about IE's download management. (Unless they added that functionality in SP2 and I didn't notice)

So, yeah, much as we all knew, some areas Internet Explorer is superior, some areas that Firefox is superior, and some areas that do not compare since one lacks the same functionality.

In other words, it's no different then what we all knew before-hand.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

If you've ever goten that download manager to work right, go you! I've never been able to period, pausing just doesn't pause it and kills the whole transfer and resume never works either.

Comment

If you've ever goten that download manager to work right, go you! I've never been able to period, pausing just doesn't pause it and kills the whole transfer and resume never works either.
                            Same for me. Whenever I pause it it never resumes when I click resume. I have to click Cancel then Resume and restart the download all over again.

MGM out

Comment

Download manager works fine for me....

Comment

download manager is just a window listing your downloads. I hope they add stuff like "resume downloads" and queue in the future.
                                Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X