More news on IE 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    IE has had extension capability since version 4. How do you think the Google, Yahoo, MSN and hundreds of other bars work? How do you think ieSpell works? Hundreds if not thousands of ways to expand IE. Even has an open API so you can grab browser functionality from any application you write. Not only that but IE extensions are compiled so you don't slow down your computer with hundreds of potential javascript conflicts written by people without a clue. If Mozilla took notice, there would be a proper way to extend a compiled program instead of using bulky and memory hogging constructs in Javascript.

Also all of windows is very themeable including Internet Explorer, just have to know how to do it.
    Ok then, an easier way to find extensions

I find extra bars more annoying than anything. What I mean by extensions exactly are things like new features not originally planned by IE's developers (develop tool bar for example)

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
      Ok then, an easier way to find extensions

I find extra bars more annoying than anything. What I mean by extensions exactly are things like new features not originally planned by IE's developers (develop tool bar for example)

MGM out
      Yeah, Web Developer extension ftw!
      I use it every day

But I do agree with the people saying FF slows down, I have 9 extensions and pretty much all of them are essential to me, yet FF takes 30 secs to load the first time after a fresh (re)boot.
      And its not my comp, 3.2 GHz P4 and 2 GB DDR2-SDRAM, its teh software.
      But apart from that, Firefox ftw

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        That, and when legendary Microsoft security gets resolved.
        IE6 SP2 is as secure as it gets, actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
          IE6 SP2 is as secure as it gets, actually...
          It's also not so intelligent in how it does it; for example, all locally-loaded HTML files that contain Javascript (any Javascript) are considered to be insecure. IE6 SP2 blocks the Javadoc API even.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

interesting video about ie7 mainly about rss support
            http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=80533
            Last edited by Dream; Sun 26th Jun '05, 7:42pm.
            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              You're not trying then
              You have to try to find them in Fx? I think that speaks for itself. I don't have to try to find IE compliance issues.
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
              Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                You have to try to find them in Fx? I think that speaks for itself. I don't have to try to find IE compliance issues.
                I've gotten problems with Firefox as well. And that's using only CSS or with tables, I've had slight pixel issues (as in, parts of the design would be a few pixels off, even though there is nothing in the CSS saying that..... works in IE and Opera, but not in Firefox).

MGM out

Comment

You're not trying then
                  Perhaps you have a few actual examples to share? (even a description rather than just a vague statement would be more helpful)

I've found a few issues here and there with Firefox's rendering, but nothing so bad I would actually prefer Trident over Gecko!

If you've found issues with "100% Compliant" (meaning: correct doctype, correct syntax and attributes, correct CSS, correct box model, etc) in Firefox, then I'd strongly suggest saving the page so you can report it as a bug, and/or having a handy reference for the problem so you can avoid it in the future.

Really, keeping files on all of the problems (or, "Things I think should work this way, but for whatever reason work that way") you experience in all browsers is a huge timesaver, especially when you run into obscure problems that are easy to fix once you know the solution, but the solution is so obscure you forget it soon after you fix it.
                  TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

I'll move to firefox when it actually does render standardized code 100% correctly and doesn't have any xul spoofing issues.
                    And IE is better at rendering standardized code correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
                      I've gotten problems with Firefox as well. And that's using only CSS or with tables, I've had slight pixel issues (as in, parts of the design would be a few pixels off, even though there is nothing in the CSS saying that..... works in IE and Opera, but not in Firefox).

MGM out
                      That's because IE has an extremely convoluted box model. Your pixel problems may be because you are using IE to test pages first, and then trying to fix them in FireFox.

It's much easier to code standards-compliant code when testing using FireFox first, and then applying the small handful of hacks out there to get it to show up right in IE.
                      :)

Comment

I'll move to firefox when it actually does render standardized code 100% correctly and doesn't have any xul spoofing issues.
                        Well you can't just go and make a comment like that without proving it.

What exactly does it not render correctly

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                          That's because IE has an extremely convoluted box model. Your pixel problems may be because you are using IE to test pages first, and then trying to fix them in FireFox.

It's much easier to code standards-compliant code when testing using FireFox first, and then applying the small handful of hacks out there to get it to show up right in IE.
                          Actually, I did it the other way around. I started with Firefox and made sure everything worked perfectly in Firefox, then went to IE and Opera. After fixing IE and Opera, I found the problem present in Firefox. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it fixed.

EXAMPLE: http://www.forevergaming.com/hosted/css/old/ Look at that page in Firefox and IE and look at the top right. In Firefox it's one pixel to the right, in IE it's fine. Check the code and tell me whats wrong if you can find it =/

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
                            Actually, I did it the other way around. I started with Firefox and made sure everything worked perfectly in Firefox, then went to IE and Opera. After fixing IE and Opera, I found the problem present in Firefox. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it fixed.

EXAMPLE: http://www.forevergaming.com/hosted/css/old/ Look at that page in Firefox and IE and look at the top right. In Firefox it's one pixel to the right, in IE it's fine. Check the code and tell me whats wrong if you can find it =/

MGM out
                            For me, its identical in both browsers. Off 1px in each.
                            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by MGM

MGM out
                              Indeed - Perfect in IE, 1px to the right in Firefox

See - Firefox does have issues

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by MGM

MGM out
                                I don't know anything about css but what if you used
                                Code:
                                #rightcontent {
                                		position: float;
                                		right:9px;
                                		top:61px;
                                		width:200px;
                                		background:#fff;
                                		border:1px solid #000;
                                		}
                                No clue what that does but try it.

Edit: I made the page smaller and the right box over laps the other boxes. I just thought it was weird.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X