No announcement yet.

Alert: Canadian domain registry scams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert: Canadian domain registry scams?

I just received a bunch of snail mails (one per domain) titled "Domain Name Expiry Notice" On letterheads from "Domain Registry of Canada".

Of course it has the right name, address etc. from Whois. A quick glance through all of them made it look legit, and has a gov'mnt feel to it (except that the official domain authority in Canada never uses snail mail, just email and web forms with password). It only started to smell fishy after noticing that the expiry date for all domains is the same date (rare), and it's very close, barely a month (I usually renew over a year prior to expiry). Then I noticed the domain names are not actually mine. They look similar, except the TLD is .info, which I never registered, but they claim it belongs to me, and needs renewal. $40 a year per domain and states it's jusy a coutesy before it expires

To cover their butts, they later say it's not a bill just an easy means of payment "if you decide to switch" to their service....

Looks like a scam to me, sort of a paper-form phishing, so be careful.
    vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Sounds familiar, but I get them from Domain Registry of America. I am sure they fool some people with their tactics... I just trash them all.

Crappy way to gain customers.

Originally posted by tamarian
    I just received a bunch of snail mails (one per domain) titled "Domain Name Expiry Notice" On letterheads from "Domain Registry of Canada".

Of course it has the right name, address etc. from Whois. A quick glance through all of them made it look legit, and has a gov'mnt feel to it (except that the official domain authority in Canada never uses snail mail, just email and web forms with password). It only started to smell fishy after noticing that the expiry date for all domains is the same date (rare), and it's very close, barely a month (I usually renew over a year prior to expiry). Then I noticed the domain names are not actually mine. They look similar, except the TLD is .info, which I never registered, but they claim it belongs to me, and needs renewal. $40 a year per domain and states it's jusy a coutesy before it expires

To cover their butts, they later say it's not a bill just an easy means of payment "if you decide to switch" to their service....

Looks like a scam to me, sort of a paper-form phishing, so be careful.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up, thankfully I always manually enter the URL in a browser and check the status of my domains

Comment

I have gotten those for years. Won't get me to switch with that (although as soon as GoDaddy supports .ca registration I am moving to them). I should get a shredder to shred the 1 piece of junkmail I get/month.

Comment

I got them for years as well until I phoned them up and demanded that they take me off whatever mailing list they've got me on. I told them that I knew that they were doing it through whois look-ups and if that meant they needed to check every domain they scan for any of my contact details, so be it

HAven't had another one for about a year now

Cheers,

~Regs.

Comment

I get them every year, and they look less "official" now than the the first year they sent it. I thought the government of Canada wanted me to pay tax on my domains!

Comment

Oh my, so they only picked me this year! I'm really surprised they're still open for business.
              vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X