Looking for a laptop :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a laptop :D

I am looking for a new laptop. Below are just some requirements, anything more is a plus.

Budget: $1,000 CAD - $2,000 CAD ($820 USD - 1,750 USD)
    +/- $500
    • Atleast 15' Widescreen
    • DVD RW+- / CD RW (Combo) or CD RW / DVD (Combo
    • Atleast 512 MB (Good ram)
    • Atleast 80 Gb HD (or more)
    • Built-in wireless adapter (Able to support all current standards) / Bluetooth a plus (but I doubt I will get it within budget)
    • A very good graphics card (open to question)
    • Windows XP SP2 Preloaded
    • Light in weight, affordable
    If there is anything else I should be considering please let me know.

Regards,
    Last edited by someuser190826; Sat 9 Jul '05, 7:58am.

http://usa.asus.com/products/noteboo...e_overview.htm
    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eries&langs=09

Small downside is a 60GB Hard Disk.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well in my opion http://www.alienware.com computers are always good. I just had a look at there Canadian site and there Sentia laptop looks like it would get you there. They also have a $300 rebate on that Sentia laptop.

Comment

Alienware computers are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, especially the laptops which aren't even good gaming machines. Plus the Alienware I ordered for work took a month to arrive, had a huge hole in the side of the box, and was quite unstable. But I did get a t-shirt out of it.

But some notes:

1. You don't care about 802.11a, do you, which nobody uses?
        2. Just a few days ago, I got a Dell Inspiron 9300 at work. It's quite a nice system, if hardly portable. However, it's 17" WUXGA display is the best LCD I have ever seen. Very rich colors, very sharp, and very bright, which is why the standard battery only runs for 1.5 hours. It's also one of the few Dell laptops, let alone any laptops, that actually has a real graphics processor and not the useless Intel integrated GPU.
        Last edited by filburt1; Wed 22 Jun '05, 4:05am.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

You should check out the Dell Inspiron 6000, it is about what you want.

Comment

I've really liked my Dell Insperion 8200 for all the time I've had it, I am looking at replacing it towards the end of this year with a 9300 or the one above it

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              The asus machines really do look to me to be the best laptops on the market right now, the problem is you pay for it (a good 50% to 100% more than Dell) and that their distribution channels are "shakky" at best.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Well it depends on who you get Asus from. I've never had a source issue from getting it. Just that we keep running out of stock because they are so popular
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

laptop ?

Comment

Thats what I mean, supply is unreliable.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Not necessarily unreliable, just too much demand, not enough supply

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                        laptop ?
                        My mistake :P.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                          Not necessarily unreliable, just too much demand, not enough supply
                          The goal of a company is to supply enough to meet the demand.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                            Alienware computers are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, especially the laptops which aren't even good gaming machines. Plus the Alienware I ordered for work took a month to arrive, had a huge hole in the side of the box, and was quite unstable. But I did get a t-shirt out of it.

But some notes:

1. You don't care about 802.11a, do you, which nobody uses?
                            2. Just a few days ago, I got a Dell Inspiron 9300 at work. It's quite a nice system, if hardly portable. However, it's 17" WUXGA display is the best LCD I have ever seen. Very rich colors, very sharp, and very bright, which is why the standard battery only runs for 1.5 hours. It's also one of the few Dell laptops, let alone any laptops, that actually has a real graphics processor and not the useless Intel integrated GPU.
                            Very nice indeed. Length of battery power is a big issue for me. Do you have any suggestions whereby the standard battery has ample lifetime?

Comment

I am looking at the following from dell.
                              http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...HS1&l=en&s=dhs
                              http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...HS1&l=en&s=dhs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X