Prevent FlashGet Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent FlashGet Abuse

Does anyone know how to configure Apache to disallow any clients using FlashGet from connecting to my web server or just to redirect to an error page?

I've used the following lines but it doesn't seem to work:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^FlashGet.* [or]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^GetRight.* [or]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Iria.*
    RewriteRule ^$ http://www.domain.com/ [R,L]
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

What is Flashget?
    PaintballCity.com
    VB Board of the Month: October

Comment

www.amazesoft.com flashget is a download manager which allows you to rip download files by splitting it up into up 10 parts downloaded at the same speed for cable users..
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Why would he want to stop the users from being able to use it. Does it slow down the apache server?
        PaintballCity.com
        VB Board of the Month: October

Comment

No but consider this:

If you allow flash to be posted in messages, or allow flash avatars, an evil user could incorporate an action script in the flash movie which will (via HTTP) GET the contents of the /etc/passwd file, thus enabling them to spend a few hours cracking the server password.

I would too be interested in learning how to configure apache to stop this abuse.

Comment

not sure about that but i was thinking bandwidth wise..

if you had image gallery or downloads on one page, i can easily use flashget to download all of them with simultaneous downloads at up to 64kb/s for each download ...
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
              No but consider this:

If you allow flash to be posted in messages, or allow flash avatars, an evil user could incorporate an action script in the flash movie which will (via HTTP) GET the contents of the /etc/passwd file, thus enabling them to spend a few hours cracking the server password.

I would too be interested in learning how to configure apache to stop this abuse.

Are we talking about the same flash here ?
              http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

from the original post sample i am assuming he's talking about download managers like

getright and flashget - which i actually use for download my mysql dumps hehe - http://www.amazesoft.com/

Comment

Ooops, got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I meant evil people hacking a server using Flash 5's action scripting abilities.

Comment

I wasn't talking about Macromedia's Flash. Eva2000 you got it right.

Those nasty FlashGet's, Iria's, and GetRight's can drain the hell outta your webserver without any sort of compensation in adviews. I hate them with a passion so I'm trying to figure out a way to block these leechers.

So does anyone here know what I'm doing wrong with my mod_rewrite statements?
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I don't know much about mod_rewrite only what i read... but if you do get a solution let me know..

Comment

Eva2000, I think you and I are in similar situations. Lately I'm getting bombarded with people setting up tons of anime galleries and people using Iria/FlashGet to download them afterwards. I've had my server crash and bandwidth skyrocket as a result. Is this what you're getting too?

Ok, looking over the documentation I've come up with this. Does anyone know if this is correct? Eva2000 if you don't mind, perhaps you can test it to see if it works?

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^FlashGet.*$ [or]
                        RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^GetRight.*$ [or]
                        RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Iria.*$
                        RewriteRule ^$ http://www.domain.com/ [R,L]

Basically all I did was add a "$" to the end. That symbol represents the end whereas "^" represents with the beginning. ".*" represents 0 or more wildcard characters.
                        Well, there it is.
                        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

you have anime sites too.. i didn't know that

Comment

Your final rule will match nothing. You need a .* in between the ^$
                            Here's what I use to redirect email siphons to a blank page:
                            Code:
                            RewriteEngine on
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailSiphon [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailWolf [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^ExtractorPro [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Mozilla.*NEWT [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Crescent [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^CherryPicker [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^WebBandit [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^NICErsPRO [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Microsoft.URL [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^-?$ [OR]
                              RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EmailCollector
                              RewriteRule ^.*$ /wpoison/nospam.html [L]
                            http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                              you have anime sites too.. i didn't know that
                              Hee hee... yeah I do. Love that stuff. But the recent abusers are making me very angry. I think it's all coming from one group of people, but I'm not sure.

Fastforward, THANKS for the great hint! I'll try it out asap.
                              Well, there it is.
                              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X