No announcement yet.

Best Linux Distribution...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I'm gonna get myself a copy of Fedora Core 4.
    Let the flames begin.

Comment

Well, just want to let everyone know that I've finally got Linux installed and configured on my laptop. I'm posting this from it right now!

I ended up going with Ubuntu, since it had a very straightforward and simple installation system. Installed perfectly, but then had trouble getting my wireless networking card to work.

I first tried the ndiswrapper package, but my PCMCIA network card's driver wasn't on the list of compatible devices. I finally ended up going with the linux-wlan packge, since my card was based off of the Prism 2.5 chipset. After an hour of compiling, configuring, and working my way through everything, I finally got it to work.

After that, I read up a bit on sonypi, so I can re-enable my Sony VAIO hotkeys and brightness adjustments again. Installed a few packages, configured a few files, and wrote a few shell scripts. And now I've got full support for all of Sony's ACPI features.

Everything is running faster than before, and using less batteries as well.

Thanks, guys!

EDIT: Okay, as it turns out, the ACPI features wern't being called correctly under Gnome. I'm now reinstalling everything under Kubuntu instead, since KDE has a nice and nifty klaptop utility, which lets me control all CPU throttling, LCD brightness, and other issues.

It's amazing how much one can learn in a day. Started off the morning knowing absolutely nothing about Linux.
      Last edited by DirectPixel; Sat 18 Jun '05, 6:21pm.
      :)

Comment

Very cool!
        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

congrads directpixel
          http://www.virtualinfusion.net
          An Anime and Manga discussion forum.

Comment

I've used slackware for quite some time now. I'd say keep away from slackware until you've had some experience with more user friendly distributions. Though I'd say there isn't many updates to slackware which is it's downside.
            Computer Networking Forums
            www.unlocked-networks.com

Comment

It's amazing how you can go from knowing absoltely nothing to installing and recompilling your own linux distrobution in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinj
                I've used slackware for quite some time now. I'd say keep away from slackware until you've had some experience with more user friendly distributions. Though I'd say there isn't many updates to slackware which is it's downside.
                Well, Slackware is a one-man show. From what I've read, the author is currently having some health problems, which are limiting his abilities to update the OS. =/
                :)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X