Best Linux Distribution...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Linux Distribution...

I currently have an old 600MHz Sony laptop from a few years back, and I was wanting to install a new OS on it and get it running again.

I had Windows XP installed, but it was too slow. Does anybody know of any good linux distributions that would perform well on a 600MHz Celeron notebook computer with 128MB SDRAM?

(I've got 10GB HDD space, if it matters. Should be plenty.)

All I need is something that is:
    1. Runs fast
    2. Lets me use Internet/Email/Instant Messaging
    3. Lets me run MS Office-type products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, mainly)
    4. Something easy to use. I've got some basic Unix knowledge, but I don't exactly know the in's and out's of linux. Yet.
    Also, I've got a wireless network card that I need to use to get online. I haven't found any linux-specific drivers for it, but I've read stuff about how I can use my Windows drivers. Does anyone know anything about this?
    :)

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Comment

the prefered distro varies from person to person.
      personally i'd say check out fedora core 4, ubuntu, or debian and see which one you like best.

even better: check out www.distrowatch.com and read up on all the popular distros to see which one suits you
      http://www.virtualinfusion.net
      An Anime and Manga discussion forum.

Comment

RedHat 5.2 You'll be quite pleased. Unless you of course wants GUI. But who would want that!

Comment

For a 600MHz celeron with only 10gig space and that little memory I would actually stay away from fedora core 4. Also just the other day someone I know wasn't very happy with Ubuntu on his P3 700MHz laptop, he said it ran too slow. I know Slackware runs OK on older computers so you might want to try that one.

Comment

I am talking RedHat 5.2, not Fedora Core 4

Comment

There's
              Knoppix
              Mandriva
              Ubuntu (I have this and it's quite simple)

Good luck

Comment

Might want to upgrade the memory and run 2000/XP
                192 should run 2000/xp with all that you need, won't be blisterly fast, but it should get the job done.

Otherwise linux isn't going to run a whole lot faster unless you go very lightweight.

Gentoo or similiar with a light windows manager. Compiled from scratch for your needs.

Comment

It's Sony's proprietary stuff, since it's one of those ultraportable sub-notebooks. I doubt they make it anymore, and even then, it's probably totally expensive.
                  :)

Comment

For an underpowered machine like that, it's best to use Gentoo, since it's the most optimized system. While not ideal for Linux newbies, it's still doable due to the extensive and well-written online documentation, and a huge user support forum.

3. Lets me run MS Office-type products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, mainly)
                    If by "MS Office-type" you mean something similar/compatible, you can install OpenOffice.org or other office products by KDE or Gnome. If it has to be MS products, you will need to use one of the emulators, which might not be practical with an already slow machine.

KDE and Gnome GUI's may prove too slow on this machine, and if so, you can try some lighter X GUI's like fluxbox, enlightenemnt, or afterstep. They can all manage to run Firfox, Evolution for email, and Gaim for IM.

Also, I've got a wireless network card that I need to use to get online. I haven't found any linux-specific drivers for it, but I've read stuff about how I can use my Windows drivers. Does anyone know anything about this?
                    I use NDSIWRAPPER, just like bahbah pointed out. It works o.k. with my Broadcom card, which only has Windows drivers.
                    vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

Money is on Centos for me

www.centos.org
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

CentOS is more an enterprise Linux distro, not typically aimed at the end user for basics

Comment

Originally posted by Snowqueen
                          For a 600MHz celeron with only 10gig space and that little memory I would actually stay away from fedora core 4. Also just the other day someone I know wasn't very happy with Ubuntu on his P3 700MHz laptop, he said it ran too slow. I know Slackware runs OK on older computers so you might want to try that one.
                          I haven't done much distro experimenting, but I've recently started with Ubuntu. So far I'm pretty pleased, I've got it on my 400mhz/128mb laptop and it's not a speed demon but it works pretty well.
                          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

CentOS is one of the best ones we used, we tried it on our home server for a while, and found it very fast, ended up moving hosts online to use CentOS also a while later.

Comment

I'd recommend Ubuntu if you are relatively new to Linux, or Gentoo if you'd like to spent lots of time getting your system streamlined and learn lots more about Linux. They also have a top quality forum with some very friendly people.

It is certainly worth running Knoppix or Gnoppix LiveCD distros to see what might and might not work with your system.

I also remember seing some kernel modules specifically for Sony Vaio laptops, which I'd guess provides a lot of support for some of their hardware features like power saving (ACPI/APM), sleep/resume and FN keys etc.

Good luck!
                              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                              -
                              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X