Web Standards -- do you use 'm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faruk
    I'm sure it was said somewhere else that XHTML 1.1 MUST be sent as application/xhtml+xml - but I can't find it anymore.

Either way, though, the W3C itself discourages the use of XHTML 1.1 entirely. XHTML 1.1 is only meant to be the XHTML which fully drops support for HTML in all ways (hence the MUST for the correct mimetype), but since it's still a reformulation of HTML they silently deprecated it themselves.
    Even with the strong emphasis on sending XHTML 1.1 pages with the application/xhtml+xml mimetype, they do not have to be sent with the application/xhtml+xml mimetype. If they did, the validator would go nuts whenever it viewed a XHTML 1.1 page sent with a text/css mimetype.

Originally posted by cirisme
    I just recently reformatted my last Windows test box with Linux. Didn't do so on purpose... so now I have to figure out how I'm going to test IE without costing me much. When the time comes I might dig out another desktop and put XP on it, we'll see.
    Dual boot Linux and Windows XP. I know that they try to kill each other whenever someone attempts it but I also know that it has been done.

Comment

Dual boot Linux and Windows XP. I know that they try to kill each other whenever someone attempts it but I also know that it has been done.
      I've thought about that, but laptop has limited space and I don't care to waste much of it on XP. If only MSFT made a live cd version of Windows.
      TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
        Even with the strong emphasis on sending XHTML 1.1 pages with the application/xhtml+xml mimetype, they do not have to be sent with the application/xhtml+xml mimetype. If they did, the validator would go nuts whenever it viewed a XHTML 1.1 page sent with a text/css mimetype.
        The validators aren't 100% compliant, y'know. Not a good argument.

I'll admit that I can't find anything, but I'm gonna give it a day or two till a friend of mine comes back online. He knows such details off the top of his head, including where to find the spec part

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
        It's actually not all that difficult, really. Half of all the people at my work have had dual-boot linux and winXP at some point or another, without any problems.

Comment

It's actually not all that difficult, really. Half of all the people at my work have had dual-boot linux and winXP at some point or another, without any problems.
          It's not hard at all. Just know what your master boot record is under Linux, and anytime you mess with the disk in windows (or use something like fdisk /mbr) reinstall the bootloader. I've never had any issues with dual booting.
          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

I just made the transition from Table to CSSdiv layouts. My first design is almost finished, although I still am having some major problems with positioning.

Comment

The validators aren't 100% compliant, y'know. Not a good argument.

I'll admit that I can't find anything, but I'm gonna give it a day or two till a friend of mine comes back online. He knows such details off the top of his head, including where to find the spec part
              Then they'll have to fix that as that is one of the simplest things you can check for via a validator.

Anyway, I have read no text on the W3C's website which states that application/xhtml+xml is mandatory for XHTML 1.1 compliance. I've only read text that places a strong emphasis on using it with XHTML pages which in the end makes it optional regardless of how strongly it is emphasized but not mandated.

Really? The last I heard Windows and Linux tear each other apart when you try to dual boot them. I guess Linux became more friendly with Windows as I'm not aware of any changes to Windows that would make it more friendly with Linux.

Comment

Without reaidng a single post in this thread:

I strictly adhere to compliant style and markup (CSS2 and XHTML 1.0 Transitional). I try to make it so that it works in IE, but if it comes close, although not perfect, oh well.

My target audience tends to use Firefox far more and IE far less than their averages, although IE is still the dominant browser at about 65% to 70%.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                  Without reaidng a single post in this thread:

I strictly adhere to compliant style and markup (CSS2 and XHTML 1.0 Transitional). I try to make it so that it works in IE, but if it comes close, although not perfect, oh well.

My target audience tends to use Firefox far more and IE far less than their averages, although IE is still the dominant browser at about 65% to 70%.
                  I dont have the time to make my website 100% compliant. Maybe later... right now I dont have the knowledge to do so either.

Getting rid of tables on my site is one hell of an project.

Comment

My browser stats:

68.74% Mozilla/5.0
                    19.20% MSIE 6.0
                    1.47% Opera/8.0

Mozilla/5.0 is both Mozi and Firefox, btw.

All IE's prior to 6 combined make up 1.3%.

Comment

When I've got the time, I like to adhere to standards. I try to stay away from tables as much as I can. I used to be a table-lover, but after getting used to using CSS methods, it's way easier and faster now.

Right now, the stats for browsers on WMT:
                      IE: 75.7% (74.2% is IE6)
                      Moz/FF: 18.2%
                      Opera: 1.9%

Comment

Short answer, when I have time.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Just on a side note if you have any CSS problems at all I reccomend you pop on over to www.SitePoint.com/forums/ and check out their CSS forum. They have some real gurus who hang out over there, particularly Paul O B who has helped me so many times during my learning process You'll get help everytime.
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

My coding is purely based on the w3c's recommendations.

I stick to XHTML 1.0 / 1.1 all the time.

If it's not valid code, I'll keep fixing i up until it is.

Comment

Does anybody have a list of the characters such as ;"&' that need to be replaced in XHTML?

Comment

I recently converted my website to CSS layout. It was fun, and my website now is 100% XHTML1.0 Strict and CSS compliant - apart from my forums which are 1.0 Transitional

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X