Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
        Never been a fan of WYSIWYG but I guess this is a welcome addition
        I dont use WYSIWYG myself either, but plenty of my users do

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
          It IS a lot cleaner too- the load time for the new editor is quite improved
          I had thought that it was much more efficent. Now I have a confirmation of my theory.

By the way, shouldn't the switch editor mode make the mode you switch to the default mode?

Comment

Whoa! Its grey now! (quick reply area) same with main editor
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Just wanted to have a look it.

Nothing to see here.
              Site Admin - http://www.savedbygrace.org.uk

Comment

Whoa! Its grey now! (quick reply area) same with main editor
                Yeah I noticed that too... Not sure what they'd need to change it for...

Comment

I think it blends with the style more.

Comment

It does match better. I feel like I'm in Word 2000.

edit: I wonder if there's a user option in the User CP to turn on / off the IE spell checker?

Comment

I totally love what Kier has done to the editor; mucho good stuff

Comment

The new editor is a lot more efficient - it runs faster due to more streamlined code, it loads faster due to quite a few fundamental changes to the initialization systems, it's easier to put into systems (we'll be putting it into the bug tracker shortly) and the code is put together in such a way that it will do the best job it can with the browser running it. (ie: as soon as Safari matures, it will automatically get all the features of the rest of the modern browsers, without us having to alter the code)

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                          The new editor is a lot more efficient - it runs faster due to more streamlined code, it loads faster due to quite a few fundamental changes to the initialization systems, it's easier to put into systems (we'll be putting it into the bug tracker shortly) and the code is put together in such a way that it will do the best job it can with the browser running it. (ie: as soon as Safari matures, it will automatically get all the features of the rest of the modern browsers, without us having to alter the code)
                          Safari 1.3 and 2.0 already support Inline WYSIWYG editing. So what's stopping vb working with it? Kier do you test code on a Mac personally? Does Safari 1.3/2 now work properly with the IE version of the template editor?

Comment

Looks cool. Can't wait to get all these things running on my forum.

Comment

In Opera I don't see the quick switch from WYSIWYG to simple editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Write
                                Safari 1.3 and 2.0 already support Inline WYSIWYG editing. So what's stopping vb working with it? Kier do you test code on a Mac personally? Does Safari 1.3/2 now work properly with the IE version of the template editor?
                                Safari's impementation of contentEditable/designMode is laughably bad right now (even the Safari developers admit this).

I even bought a Mac to see if anything could be salvaged and made workable as a WYSIWYG editor for Safari but unfortunately it was just not meant to be.

Let me give you a few examples:

The following commands work as expected:
                                • Bold
                                • Italic
                                • Underline
                                • Align Left
                                • Align Center
                                • Align Right
                                • Font Color
                                • Font Name
                                • Undo
                                • Redo
                                • Cut
                                • Copy
                                The following commands have problems:
                                • Font Size
                                  This only works with if CSS size values are passed to it, making it incompatible with BBcode
                                • Insert Image
                                  Does not insert an image at all
                                • Create Link
                                  Does not create a link at all
                                • Remove Link
                                  Does not remove a link, and hyperlinks within the WYSIWYG editor actually act as links, so if you accidentally click one, you visit that page (oh dear)
                                • Insert List (ordered or unonrdered)
                                  Fails to do anything
                                • Indent
                                  Fails to do anything
                                • Outdent
                                  Fails to do anything
                                • Paste
                                  I find this rather amusing - Cut and Paste work as expected, but paste does nothing (oh dear again)
                                Additionally, if anything triggers an onclick event the selection within the editor window is lost. There is a workaround for this but it's ugly and kinda unintuitive for the user.

Another 'special' feature is that if you select all the text in the edit window, Safari decides that you actually want to select the window itself, and none of the formatting controls will work at that point. This is particularly annoying if you have just typed a single word into the editor and want to apply formatting to it - it's just not possible.

With all these problems it just doesn't seem worth hacking together something that will work around the issues with Safari. That said, as soon as the Safari developers give us something decent to work with the new vBulletin editor will be updated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X