Sunburnt from hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kathy
    Now, I go twice a year and have had surgeries to remove cancer on my face, back, neck.....
    Wow, now if there isn't a lesson for us to all learn here, then I don't know what there is left to learn Sorry to hear that Kathy, is it easy for them to fix each time you go?
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

No, but I used to live close to http://www.duke.edu/ (I still do, just another state). hehe

Anyways, I work outdoors doing intense labor, so I'm in it all day. :P It was 115 heat index today, I went out to the beach at about lowtide (5pm to 7pm), went swimming way out there. Got burnt some more, but I forgot to get my stuff at the store too! damn it. lol

Comment

oh yeah, today when I went to the beach, I forgot. We seen three schools of dophines out in the bay, they were about 20 feet from shore. The water temp. was about 72F. I wish I had taken my digital camera down tehre though, but I'll catch them next time. It sure was pretty though.

Comment

Because my skin is VERY sensitive to the sun, I got 2nd-degree sunburns and I got sun poisoning because of that...

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
            Wow, now if there isn't a lesson for us to all learn here, then I don't know what there is left to learn Sorry to hear that Kathy, is it easy for them to fix each time you go?
            Thanks Dean. Its quite simple for those on my neck and back since I don't worry about those scars.

But the ones on my face require a special surgeon (MOHS surgeon) and plastic surgery to try to repair the hole that is left when the cancer has been removed.

I probably sound like a frankenstein but you wouldn't notice to look at my face unless you looked carefully....

I've very fair skinned, blue eyed, freckled faced...Still, its tramatic to have your face altered because of lack of sunblock from not so many hours in the sun.

I am the banner girl for sunblock wearing....
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

So sorry to hear that, glad you're strong enough to talk about it and show to us young guns how harmful the sun can be. My mother is constantly on at me to wear sunblock. As soon as the sun shines shes on the phone to me and now it's drilled into my thinking. I associate sun with sunblock, not suntan

Another question I have for you, if you don't mind answering of course , is whether the treatment you receieve can be done each time you have a cancerous growth develop for the rest of your life? Also each time you receieve the treatment, does the odds of it being effective decrease?

Best wishes to you and thanks for talking about it so far with me
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

There was a recent study showing that you should allow sun to still come into contact with your skin. Not MASSIVE doses, just some mild doses to help produce Vitamin D to fight cancer off .

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...g/11889748.htm
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well, when I go out and get in the sun, I work outside, but I'm smart and wear clothings and a hat and whatnot, but when I'm out on the beach, I only go out max. 4 hours at a time, most of the time 2-3. I go just with swimming suit and my sunglasses. Or when I go fishing all day on the rocks, like once and a while in the summer, everybody goes for an all day trip. I'll wear a wifebeater and my hat or something.

Comment

Going out in the sun for a long time without sun screen is bad, that said I think the last time I used any was when I was 4 years old. With all the crap I have to deal with daily the last thing on my mind is putting on sun screen, and over the years I've gotton so used to the summer weather that I rarely get burned anyway.

I still worry about skin cancer, my grandpa has it (from working outside whole life), although it is not bad enough to warrent medical treatment.

I agree with you, commenwelth does suck, so do the virgina roads .

Comment

Virgina's roads are good compared to the condtion that North Carolina's are. And um, most of my familiy has skin cancer from being outside their whole lifes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                        Another question I have for you, if you don't mind answering of course , is whether the treatment you receieve can be done each time you have a cancerous growth develop for the rest of your life? Also each time you receieve the treatment, does the odds of it being effective decrease?

Best wishes to you and thanks for talking about it so far with me
                        The treatments I receive are for the purpose of removing the cancer. The only prevention would have happened years ago....with enough sunblock. Apparently damage is done early...and years later the cancer arrives.

I'll continue to go in twice a year for my checks and remove what is necessary. And I've been told the cancers will continue to show up....For me its a matter of making sure that I have them removed early enough so they don't get bigger.

I was raised in San Antonio, Texas in the 50's and early 60's where air conditioning was a window unit and kids spent their time outside on bikes, all year long. Add to that my blonde headed, blue eyed, freckled skin fairness and we have a recipe for middle age skin cancer.
                        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeMenkey
                          Virgina's roads are good compared to the condtion that North Carolina's are. And um, most of my familiy has skin cancer from being outside their whole lifes.
                          Hah, you can't sit there and tell me that after I've spent hours on virgina back roads. Maybe because you are near the coast they are better, but get outside of danville and off the highway and you'll run into some bad roads.

These roads are crap and the people that run them are crazy. I'm talking no lines, pot holes everywhere, none of them are mostly straigt shots, they just cut the road way as they built it (at least it looks that way).

The one thing I hate the most about these roads is they aren't wide enough for two cars. Keep in mind that I drive a 1990 grand marquis and it takes about about 2/3'rd worth of the road when I ride these roads. Anytime I see an on coming car I have to get my right tires off the road so we can pass each other, last week I ran up on a ****ing 18 wheeler running the bad part of mount cross road (bad part = part that was not re-paved and made wider 4 years ago).

NC = good roads, but worked on to much (we spend an insane ammount of money on our roads)

Virgina = bad roads, unless your on a main highway.

Comment

Man, NC roads suck ass, now the major highways are better, but the backroads, dude. I grew up and know all the streets out in the co****ry side.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X