Gaia Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
    How on earth can a forum be profitable with 80+ dedicated servers... and whatsort of costs are we talking about here. A typical dedictaed server comes in at $250 plus per month... maybe they have significant discount en masse but even at $100 per month that still comes in a a whopping $8,000 per month.

Even with that number of members how on earth do they stay afloat... or is the owner a self made millionaire..
    from what i read member donations totally fund the server purchase and hosting - you seen how many active members they have ?
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I know ALOT of gaia users who donate, why? they get rewards for their characters, for only a 5 dollar donation per month, or somthing.

Even with 10% of their registered users (somewhat high still) donating 5 dollars a month, it averages out to 1,020,060.

Take it down another notch, and its 100,000~ US.

But don't forget some people will donate more, others less, theres alot of options, plus they have sponsors for related content, like a few anime sites, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        I know ALOT of gaia users who donate, why? they get rewards for their characters, for only a 5 dollar donation per month, or somthing.

Even with 10% of their registered users (somewhat high still) donating 5 dollars a month, it averages out to 1,020,060.

Take it down another notch, and its 100,000~ US.

But don't forget some people will donate more, others less, theres alot of options, plus they have sponsors for related content, like a few anime sites, etc.
        Wow... I guess he is a self-made millionaire in a few years...

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
          Wow... I guess he is a self-made millionaire in a few years...

MGM out
          Yes, but with that many dedicated servers, shouldn't there also be a huge fee that would cancel some of it out? Does anyone know about how much he/she is paying for all the servers?

With that many people donating, there proably still would be a profit somewhere.
          Let the flames begin.

Comment

I would guess their server costs range in the mid teens to lower twentys.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk
              Yes, but with that many dedicated servers, shouldn't there also be a huge fee that would cancel some of it out? Does anyone know about how much he/she is paying for all the servers?

With that many people donating, there proably still would be a profit somewhere.
              i believe the owner colocates with a local data center/ISP so he can physically go in to build or maintain the servers so he might be getting a good deal on hosting etc
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                i believe the owner colocates with a local data center/ISP so he can physically go in to build or maintain the servers so he might be getting a good deal on hosting etc
                I'm sure you get a discount when your such a big customer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X